Vaccinations: Are they really necessary?

mamma t

I mentioned my husband myself are going on a South American cruise in Jan. 2015. Starting from Santiago Chile and going to Buenos Aires, with stops in between.

I have asked a few people, cruise directors, and have received many different answers to the question: Do we really really need vaccinations to go and visit these places?

We will be going with Princess Cruises.

If someone has been recently and wouldn't mind answering this question for me! Thanks

I have never been asked for my vaccination card in order to board a cruise. That said, if you are visiting locations that are on the CDC watchlist for disease breakouts, I would think about getting my boosters if needed just to be on the safe side, especially if excursions will be going off the beaten path.

I am on the better safe than sorry side of the vaccination discussion, but like I said they are not required.

I believe that the only itinerary where vaccinations were mandatory was the Amazon River cruises. That being said, you should definitely be up to date on your tetanus shots. Check with your doctor to see if he feels you need any others.

I have never been asked for my vaccination card in order to board a cruise. That said, if you are visiting locations that are on the CDC watchlist for disease breakouts, I would think about getting my boosters if needed just to be on the safe side, especially if excursions will be going off the beaten path.

I am on the better safe than sorry side of the vaccination discussion, but like I said they are not required.

We have, and on that Princess cruise, passengers without proper vaccinations were given the choice...pay a $5000US fine or don't get on the ship.

I mentioned my husband myself are going on a South American cruise in Jan. 2015. Starting from Santiago Chile and going to Buenos Aires, with stops in between.

If someone has been recently and wouldn't mind answering this question for me! Thanks

No special shots required for the ship's ports of call. However, if you plan to take a inland cruisetour, for example Iguazu Falls then check the CDC web site. We did this route and it is nice.

Better safe than sorry I always say. Check with your health practitioner, they will tell you what is best. Our Dr's office also has a MD that specializes in Travel medicine. Because we travel to the Caribbean frequently, he recommended the Twinrix booster for Hepatitis A and B. For any South American, Eastern Europe, Asia, travel, it was also highly recommended.

As said, you don't need vaccinations for cruises between Santiago and Buenos Aires or Rio. That said, it's a good idea to have your tetanus up-to-date, flu shot, perhaps pneumonia and shingles vaccinations, etc. You're traveling in different climates and cultures and are probably more susceptible to illnesses than you might in the US. Yellow Fever is required only for certain regions such as Devil's Island or a tour on the Amazon. You don't need malaria medications.

Do you have access to a 'travel clinic' in your area? We do. It is staffed with an MD who specializes in infectious disease. They rotate with other infectious disease MD's who work at the local hospitals.

The 'travel clinic' recommends immunizations based on your intinerary.

Do you have access to a 'travel clinic' in your area? We do. It is staffed with an MD who specializes in infectious disease. They rotate with other infectious disease MD's who work at the local hospitals.

The 'travel clinic' recommends immunizations based on your intinerary.

There is a difference between required immunizations and recommended immunizations.

For the OP's itinerary, none are required.

Recommended immunizations are usually for general health or for regions of a country a cruise ship is unlikely to bring passengers to as they will mostly be inland.

However, it is often prudent to get recommended immunizations.