NCL Ultimate Drink Package Yay or Nay??

First time cruiser here! My boyfriend and I are cruising on the NCL Dawn and were told about the "Ultimate Drink Package". He's much more of a drinker than I am but I was told we both must have the package. I was also told I could turn into a "vacation drinker" quickly if I had it since they would already be paid for ahead of time. ha!

So...is it worth it? It will cost another $788.50 with tax and tip.

Thoughts? Advice? Hints?

That's a lot! Usually you can get buckets of 5 or 6 beer for about 30 including tip. Some drink specials around 7- large drinks. So, unless you are going to drink at least 100 drinks between the 2 of you, then I wouldn't do it. You can each take a bottle of wine on board the day you board. Dont forget to pack a corkscrew so you can enjoy it in your room. We've ordered a bottle of vodka prior through the gift dept. Not sure if it was NCL or another line. It was like $80 for a liter of Stoli. And usually their wine packages are fairly priced if you like wine. Many of the different bars have specials throughout the day, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL also has a drink package. I compared what we pay for the few drinks we have each day and HAL would be making money on us. So it is not worth it to us.

Why not ask questions on the NCL board about what drinks cost and then compare to see if it is worth it to you. Link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

There is no set answer. For some it is a great deal, but for others a waste of money. Find the price of drinks and estimate haw many you will have. Remember the package will not cover beverages off the ship.

First time cruiser here! My boyfriend and I are cruising on the NCL Dawn and were told about the "Ultimate Drink Package". He's much more of a drinker than I am but I was told we both must have the package. I was also told I could turn into a "vacation drinker" quickly if I had it since they would already be paid for ahead of time. ha!

Thoughts? Advice? Hints?

You need to drink 6 to 7 mixed drinks a day, every day, to break even on this. Drinks of the day run $6.95-7.95 plus gratuity, beer is about $5.50 plus gratuity.

You can each take a bottle of wine on board the day you board.

I think you might be confusing CCL with NCL- you may bring wine on NCL but will be charged a $15 corkage fee per 750ml bottle and you may bring as many bottles as you'd like.

We cruised on the Jewel in October. The drink package was very worth it for us. We were not fall down drunks either. You need to drink about 5 or so drinks per day for it to be worth it. We had 1-2 drinks in the afternoon by the pool, then 2 or so during dinner and then another 2-3 at night either at one of the bars or at Karaoke or dancing. We saved most of our receipts and we came out ahead by about $150. We had one night where I was "over served". I also liked that it was paid for and I didn't have to worry about it. Just remember that the drink of the day in the souvenir glass is not on the plan. But it will be included if you get the drink of the day in a normal glass.

It does depend on how much you drink. For us it was very worth it and we were cruising with our kids and had some All Day excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We cruised on the Jewel in October. The drink package was very worth it for us. We were not fall down drunks either. You need to drink about 5 or so drinks per day for it to be worth it. We had 1-2 drinks in the afternoon by the pool, then 2 or so during dinner and then another 2-3 at night either at one of the bars or at Karaoke or dancing. We saved most of our receipts and we came out ahead by about $150. We had one night where I was "over served". I also liked that it was paid for and I didn't have to worry about it. Just remember that the drink of the day in the souvenir glass is not on the plan. But it will be included if you get the drink of the day in a normal glass.

It does depend on how much you drink. For us it was very worth it and we were cruising with our kids and had some All Day excursions.

I got the package last year, and spoke to a lot of guys who wished they would of signed up for it but were talked out of it because "they would never drink that much a day". I agree with the above, it's very easy to make it worth getting.

Whatever the cruise line and the specifics of the "ultimate drink deal," don't discount the value of not getting nickeled/dimed to death every time you decide to drink something. while on vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whatever the cruise line and the specifics of the "ultimate drink deal," don't discount the value of not getting nickeled/dimed to death every time you decide to drink something. while on vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I want to cruise on the line that only charges a nickel or a dime for a drink:cool:.

Does anyone know if the ultimate drinks package is offered on the EPIC? I can't find it if so for my cruise starting on 22nd June

Thanks

It is offered on all the NCL ships except the POA and during Spring break on all the ships. You cannot purchase it online, but can call and order it over the phone. Ultimate Beverage Package

I am also traveling on the dawn with my bf (we leave for Bermuda next Fri!! Where/when are you sailing?) and we are getting the UBP. He will, for sure, get his money’s worth, and then some. I on the other hand, will probably “break even”. I have come up with a few justifications to make myself more excited for it though…

I tend to be rather frugal (read: cheap :) ), so this will hopefully make it a true vacation, where I might get a mimosa or two with breakfast, and enjoy a chocolate martini after dinner, that I probably would have skipped when I was thinking about the cost of them.

I also like wine, and going to wine tastings, and had been planning on doing the wine tasting that’s offered on board; it does not say how much it is, but it definitely has a charge. Instead, I downloaded a free kindle wine book, and plan on trying out some of my own pairings with apps/dinner.

There are also some “gimmicks” offered during the trip that serve free alcohol…champagne tastings at the art auction, liquor tastings in the duty free shop etc. Not having to go with hopes of scoring a free drink will free up time to do other activities, and probably keep me from blowing cash on imported chocolate or cheesy art!

Finally, since the drinks are included, I will also not feel obligated to drink something I find too sweet, too strong, or just too much (that “last one” you curse the next morning!)

Thoughts? Advice? Hints?

I was on the Epic in February and thought about getting the UBP for my 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary. When I found out that all persons in the stateroom had to get the package, I knew that I would not be signing up for the package. This is a new program for NCL and they clearly need to work out the kinks of the program that have not been thoroughly considered. Not everyone drinks. Also, every person is not out to cheat and steal from the cruise line. Other cruise lines do not have this same issue where one person in the room has a drink package and another person does not.

We are also first time cruisers; going to Alaska July 13th on Celebrity Century, out of Vancouver, B.C.

for 7 days. We also like to have a "few" when on holidays, i.e. red wine and occasional martini. What are the thoughts and opinions about the "beverage" packages. I heard the wine is VERY expensive

I was on the Epic in February and thought about getting the UBP for my 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary. When I found out that all persons in the stateroom had to get the package, I knew that I would not be signing up for the package. This is a new program for NCL and they clearly need to work out the kinks of the program that have not been thoroughly considered. Not everyone drinks. Also, every person is not out to cheat and steal from the cruise line. Other cruise lines do not have this same issue where one person in the room has a drink package and another person does not.

I am sure NCL considered everything and they came up with the rules that they have for reasons known in the board room. You have to remember, the UBP isn't sold to save you money- it is sold to make the cruise line money. Obviously if they are selling two packages they will make more money then if they only sold one. They know their demographics and probably have a good idea of what percentage of passengers would share the package. The other cruise lines that do not require both passengers to buy the package 1) charge substantially more for their base cruise fare, 2) rely less on alcohol sales for profit and 3) have a different passenger demographic.

We are also first time cruisers; going to Alaska July 13th on Celebrity Century, out of Vancouver, B.C.

for 7 days. We also like to have a "few" when on holidays, i.e. red wine and occasional martini. What are the thoughts and opinions about the "beverage" packages. I heard the wine is VERY expensive

Wine is not much more expensive than it would be at your local upscale restaurant. Bottles start around $25 and glasses average at around $8 though you can find some decent ones anywhere from $6-10.

If that is all you are going to drink, and you wont be drinking at least 5 glasses each everyday, then either bring your own wine onboard ($15 per 750ml bottle fee), or you can get one of the wine packages, or just go by the glass/bottle. If you don't finish a bottle at a meal they will store it for you.

• 9 months later...
Does the beverage package on NCL include espresso and cappuccino?

Looks like it doesn't. Check out the second paragraph. http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

I was wondering the same thing as we have the beverage package on our next NCL cruise, and figured I'd look it up for both of us. ;)

• 1 month later...