HAL should be ashamed of themselves

donswife

So, I was able to get the second person in my cabin changed from my son to my daughter's friend, for the ridiculous price of $339. That is basically thievery, it costs them nothing beyond 5 minutes of agent time to make the change. My TA even called them on it, because the other cruise lines he deals with don't charge if you are just swapping out 1 passenger, but they wouldn't back down one inch. Any idea who to contact at HAL to voice a complaint? Not that I expect they will do anything, but I am mad!

I thought airlines didn't allow it at all. That was my understanding about the cruise when we made reservations [what if XXX gets sick can someone else go?]. I would have thought you would lose the amount that wasn't insured. Good to know you can make changes.

I thought airlines didn't allow it at all. That was my understanding about the cruise when we made reservations [what if XXX gets sick can someone else go?]. I would have thought you would lose the amount that wasn't insured. Good to know you can make changes.

Some allow and some don't. Some even charge if there was a mis-spelt name when doing on-line bookings (thinking of a UK cheapo airline whose name begins with R).

We did it a few years ago on Princess. The admin fee was either $25. or $50...cannot remember. Not certain what it is today.

But I have to agree with you. Ripping you off for $339 to change the name of an occupant does not engender any loyalty to the product.

And that is exactly what this is....a complete rip off.

A couple of years ago we tried changing out someone on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The fare had changed (gone up) since we had originally booked. The initial purchase was under an discount offering that had ended. We would have had to pay the difference in fare. We went all the way through their problem resolution system without success. We ended up just canceling the cruise.

Edited by RDC1

Is this for the cruise that leaves June 21st? It may be because you are making the change after final payment for that cruise. Just a guess on my part.

A few years ago I booked a cruise with a friend who decided he couldn't go. Another friend offered to take his place. We were well ahead of final payment, so they cancelled the first booking and did a new booking and there was no fee for a name change.

Debbie

Some allow and some don't. Some even charge if there was a mis-spelt name when doing on-line bookings (thinking of a UK cheapo airline whose name begins with R).

That's what I was thinking - they told me that I needed to make sure my name was spelled exactly as my BC - because I spell it different and tend to give my spelling when someone asks. They said it could be a very expensive mistake....so I just assume any change is going to cost me big time

So, I was able to get the second person in my cabin changed from my son to my daughter's friend, for the ridiculous price of $339. That is basically thievery, it costs them nothing beyond 5 minutes of agent time to make the change. My TA even called them on it, because the other cruise lines he deals with don't charge if you are just swapping out 1 passenger, but they wouldn't back down one inch. Any idea who to contact at HAL to voice a complaint? Not that I expect they will do anything, but I am mad!

In your other thread you said--"

I expect they will, I have heard it is something along the lines of $200, but I will see if TA can work any magic. We have insurance, but I doubt it will cover a job at summer camp:p"

It's seem that you we're OK about $200, at what price point did it become thievry?

"Extra" fees have become the norm in the travel industry. Bag fees, seat fees, change fees, resort fees. And as much as the traffic will bear. You have to ask youself what your "loss" will be if you don't pay the fee and you lose the whatever money you already spent on your son. It sounds like they are charging you the additional person in cabin price. Which they can, it's their "boat".

Edited by sapete

There is a well hidden note on the Holland America website that name changes are considered cancellations:

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.
http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=Cancellation

You are wasting your time to complain. HAL has it's procedures. They didn't make up that charge for one incident only. Other people have been charged the same amount. You've got to suck it up, just like we did when they started charging for wine brought onboard.

Sometimes I think we stress too much about small amounts of money. If we have the bucks to cruise, we need to think sometimes you win,sometimes you lose. Think about the times when you got a good rate on a cruise---maybe you will come out even.

You are wasting your time to complain. HAL has it's procedures. They didn't make up that charge for one incident only. Other people have been charged the same amount. You've got to suck it up, just like we did when they started charging for wine brought onboard.

Sometimes I think we stress too much about small amounts of money. If we have the bucks to cruise, we need to think sometimes you win,sometimes you lose. Think about the times when you got a good rate on a cruise---maybe you will come out even.

A well-taken point.

That's scary! I have to change my name on my passport (I've been using an initial as I don't like my first name!), as the US wants complete names for Nexus and Global Entry. We have asked our TA to check with HAL to see if they will go back to my "original" name on our next two cruises. It was weird, when I changed years ago from my full name to the initial, they seemed to lose all my records and they must have thought DH was bringing a second wife, as my "days" disappeared, and it took a while to get that sorted out. I won't change my passport until I find out what will happen.

Whogo beat me to it.

After final payment, it's considered a cancellation and a rebooking to change the name of one passenger. I agree that nobody wants to pay $339 for seems a simple clerical task, but that's indeed the policy.

That's scary! I have to change my name on my passport (I've been using an initial as I don't like my first name!), as the US wants complete names for Nexus and Global Entry. We have asked our TA to check with HAL to see if they will go back to my "original" name on our next two cruises. It was weird, when I changed years ago from my full name to the initial, they seemed to lose all my records and they must have thought DH was bringing a second wife, as my "days" disappeared, and it took a while to get that sorted out. I won't change my passport until I find out what will happen.

My 2¢ in this case would be that (1) you're working with future cruises outside of the cancellation period, and (2) you're the same person with the SAME MARINER # (I think that's important to note).

In this case I'd hope HAL would simply make the change for you. I'd ask for a copy of the revised Guest Confirmation from them, though, just to have it on file.

It's all about extra revenue.

The change fees at many airlines, fees to re deposit your ff miles if you change your mind. Seat fees. The list is endless. They all do the same thing.

So..... No one seems to bitch when the airlines "simply say NO" when you ask THEM to change the persons name on a ticket... Yet you expect the cruise line to simply say "sure, why not?"

If you are not within the final payment period, cancel and re book... If you ARE, smile and bite the bullet. (You agreed to all the fine print when you originally booked...)

But the change price is not usually that high. $50.00 maybe but $339.00 That is outrageous!

Facts please, not supposition. Can you cite a specific example, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the change price is not usually that high. $50.00 maybe but $339.00 That is outrageous!

Huh???? I know of NO airline that lets you "gift" your airline tkt to another person, and most airlines allow NO changes if you buy a discounted (Read "not premium") priced ticket.

Facts please, not supposition. Can you cite a specific example, please.

Yes, I changed quite a few flights with Southwest last summer and none were over $50.00 I think they were $25.00. We had to change flights and people numerous time due to a house my daughter sold not closing and then her not being able to leave.

Yes, I changed quite a few flights with Southwest last summer and none were over $50.00 I think they were $25.00. We had to change flights and people numerous time due to a house my daughter sold not closing and then her not being able to leave.

Southwest is unique animal. They do not charge a change fee. When you changed flights they used the value of your current ticket and applied it to the new fare and you paid the difference. Completely apple vs. orange.

But what Cruise line only charges $50? As another poster mentioned, Southwest is very different from other carriers.. Some will not let you change names at all.. IMO Sapete is correct; you are comparing apples to oranges..

The OP has not stated when she is cruising, but if it is after final payment I agree that HAL is treating this as a cancellation & new booking.. If the OP had purchased HAL's insurance, which is probably the most expensive, she would have been able to get her $$$ back for her son's ticket...Hal's insurance permits you to cancel for any reason up to a day or two before departure..