AOS - Will I be disappointed!

We're thinking of booking AOS, back to back cruise from San Juan (southern Caribbean itinerary) for our 25th wedding anniversary, Oct 2015. We've only ever been on RCCL (FOS & NOS) both western itineraries and wondered if we'd be disappointed with AOS.

We're finding it hard to find a cruise that fits in with our anniversary and the kids school dates, I say kids but they'll be 17 and 21 when we travel. Lol. We're having two weeks cruising alone and the we're meeting the kids in orlando for our 3rd wk.

Thanks for all your help:)

Hi,

I haven't personally been on AOS but my parents (early 60's) went 2 yrs ago, and while they did like the So Carib ports, said the ship was neglected and showing its age. I don't know if it has been dry-docked since then.

Also, leaving out of San Juan a high percentage of the passengers are from PR (which makes sense) and travel with extended family so it was crowded in the cafes & public areas. They just weren't used to the cultural differences compared to the U.S. and said the cruise had a different vibe to it (not bad, just not what they are used to).

We're thinking of booking AOS, back to back cruise from San Juan (southern Caribbean itinerary) for our 25th wedding anniversary, Oct 2015. We've only ever been on RCCL (FOS & NOS) both western itineraries and wondered if we'd be disappointed with AOS.

Thanks for all your help:)

We have sailed on the AOS, for our 25th , and loved it. Great ship, and great intineraries. We are back on her again in 2016 for our 30th, we are doing a B2B as well. You will have a great time, and a great anniversary memory!

Thank you all so much for your replies. Still thinking about it but think we will go ahead and book. We're thinking of booking a grand suite. Any advice on which deck and what side of the ship to book for a southern Caribbean itinerary. Thanks guys, all your advice so appreciated. Mariax

Adventure is a great ship, with a good management team on board. You will enjoy it :D
Have to say that people we sailed with on the TA from Miami to Southampton that just ended May 4th, and have sailed regularly for years on Adventure were quite vocal in their comments that the new management team were far inferior to the previous team and were found wanting. I personally found them not particularly helpful, except the main dining room team who were excellent and extremely helpful.

For me, the cruise was great, the ship ok (following a very brief dry dock in April) but I'd rather sail on the 2nd generation Voyager class ships (Navigator or Mariner) as they have at least 2 speciality restaurants whereas Adventure still only has 1 (although now Giovanni's Table in place of Portofino). Adventure does not have a Vintages wine bar, nor Boleros (although a Boleros menu is used in the Lobby Bar).

The dry dock managed only a very few updates, including flat screen TVs in all cabins, outdoor movie screen, a Diamond Club replacing the 19th Hole in the Viking Crown, new flooring on the main pool deck, digital Wayfinders, new signage and pervasive wifi throughout. Several new cabins were added replacing 2 of the small seperate dining rooms on deck 3. Some new carpeting in the hallways (but not all, especially up on deck 10).

Adventure is a great ship, with a good management team on board. You will enjoy it :D

Thank you all so much for your replies. Still thinking about it but think we will go ahead and book. We're thinking of booking a grand suite. Any advice on which deck and what side of the ship to book for a southern Caribbean itinerary. Thanks guys, all your advice so appreciated. Mariax

We just had GS 1324 and loved it for its location on the hump, so close to the elevators, on deck 10, one deck above the concierge lounge and one deck below the Windjammer and pool deck. Others prefer the GS forward of the centrum, but we liked 1324.

Have to say that people we sailed with on the TA from Miami to Southampton that just ended May 4th, and have sailed regularly for years on Adventure were quite vocal in their comments that the new management team were far inferior to the previous team and were found wanting. I personally found them not particularly helpful, except the main dining room team who were excellent and extremely helpful.

For me, the cruise was great, the ship ok (following a very brief dry dock in April) but I'd rather sail on the 2nd generation Voyager class ships (Navigator or Mariner) as they have at least 2 speciality restaurants whereas Adventure still only has 1 (although now Giovanni's Table in place of Portofino). Adventure does not have a Vintages wine bar, nor Boleros (although a Boleros menu is used in the Lobby Bar).

The dry dock managed only a very few updates, including flat screen TVs in all cabins, outdoor movie screen, a Diamond Club replacing the 19th Hole in the Viking Crown, new flooring on the main pool deck, digital Wayfinders, new signage and pervasive wifi throughout. Several new cabins were added replacing 2 of the small seperate dining rooms on deck 3. Some new carpeting in the hallways (but not all, especially up on deck 10).

This is why I have reservations after hearing similar reviews. We also love the speciality restaurants so a bit disappointed that AOS only has one, but we really like the sounds of the southern Caribbean itinerary. The newer/better ships seem to do all the same itineraries that we've all ready done. I need to decide if we prefer a newer ship or a better itinerary. Thanks for the advice mx

This is why I have reservations after hearing similar reviews. We also love the speciality restaurants so a bit disappointed that AOS only has one, but we really like the sounds of the southern Caribbean itinerary. The newer/better ships seem to do all the same itineraries that we've all ready done. I need to decide if we prefer a newer ship or a better itinerary. Thanks for the advice mx

I have to say, that if it were not for the fact that getting to a suitable port for us to take a Southern Caribbean is a long and expensive journey, I'd still sail on Adventure in the Southern Caribbean as the ports are more important to me than the ship, so please don't let my experience on a TA dissuade you from choosing what is still a great ship IMHO coupled with good ports of call. I'd rather do that than have what I consider boring ports for only a slightly better ship.

I have to say, that if it were not for the fact that getting to a suitable port for us to take a Southern Caribbean is a long and expensive journey, I'd still sail on Adventure in the Southern Caribbean as the ports are more important to me than the ship, so please don't let my experience on a TA dissuade you from choosing what is still a great ship IMHO coupled with good ports of call. I'd rather do that than have what I consider boring ports for only a slightly better ship.

This is what we're thinking. I just don't want to feel bored or fed up with the ship/food if we're on there for 2 wks, but tbh I think I'm over thinking things. I know we'll enjoy whatever we do but just want to do something special for our 25th Anniversary. Just noticed we're both from Manchester, whereabouts are you from?

Hi,

I haven't personally been on AOS but my parents (early 60's) went 2 yrs ago, and while they did like the So Carib ports, said the ship was neglected and showing its age. I don't know if it has been dry-docked since then.

Also, leaving out of San Juan a high percentage of the passengers are from PR (which makes sense) and travel with extended family so it was crowded in the cafes & public areas. They just weren't used to the cultural differences compared to the U.S. and said the cruise had a different vibe to it (not bad, just not what they are used to).

THIS WAS MY EXACT EXPERIENCE - plus the whole week, we heard more Spanish than English. (Just saying)

I am booked on the Adventure in Oct 2015 and cannot wait. I have no reservations at all, the itinerary looks great and I like that class of ship. I wanted to see San Juan and this gives me an extra day to explore. Have a great cruise.

Wow, the balcony looks a lot smaller than the JS on FOS, although the chairs are much nicer. Thanks again for the pics mx
I can assure you that the balcony is bigger than that of a JS on a Freedom class ship, maybe not from the balcony door to the edge of the balcony but because a GS is far wider than a JS, then the balcony is longer. I know which I'd rather have and it isn't a JS :D

This is what we're thinking. I just don't want to feel bored or fed up with the ship/food if we're on there for 2 wks, but tbh I think I'm over thinking things. I know we'll enjoy whatever we do but just want to do something special for our 25th Anniversary. Just noticed we're both from Manchester, whereabouts are you from?

Belle Vue, yourselves?

AOS is a great ship! as you can see we have cruised may times on her. we love the southern Caribbean islands too. we were so excited to see that she is in the southern in the fall 2015! we booked b2b Grand suites 1568 for both.

As far as the locals in PR being on the ship, its never been a huge issue as far as we are concerned, its a different culture but we love San Juan so much it's no big deal for us.

If you do this cruise, if possible fly in the day before, get acclimated!

Best of Cruising to you!!!

We love the Southern Itin, by far our favorite. Love sailing out of San Juan. As far as cultures, we have really never noticed it is any worse going out of San Juan than going out of Miami. It is a cruise - lots of different cultures going. Even in Miami/FLL all the announcements are in both English and Spanish. We just got off a cruise in April out of San Juan and did not feel there was an overabundance of PR on board. And really who cares - not any more than Europeans, Asians, South Americans, etc. Just lots of different people having a good time

Doing Adventure both April 15 and April 2016 and cannot wait. We love going out of San Juan and sailing our favorite Southern Caribbean islands:)

Edited by karena1