Top Sailed Luncheon

Luvsprincess

Haven't been on one for 5 days, but on the last two for 7 days, there was only a cocktail party. I say only, because this was after dinner for at least half of us. I really appreciate the lunches, but we were even on a 10 day that had a cocktail party.:(

Haven't been on one for 5 days, but on the last two for 7 days, there was only a cocktail party. I say only, because this was after dinner for at least half of us. I really appreciate the lunches, but we were even on a 10 day that had a cocktail party.:(

Honestly, I like the cocktail parties better.

We did have a cocktail party on the 5 dayer, but nothing on the 4 dayer.

Just curious, what time is the cocktail party and where is it usually? Finally, I assume the drinks and hors d'oeuvres are much better than the Captains Circle party? Have not been invited yet, but look forward to our first luncheon or cocktail party some day (222 sea days now)

Personally I also prefer the cocktail party. It is usually held from about 6:00 - 7:30 pm if I remember correctly. The hors d'hoerves (sp?) are absolutely amazing. And you can have any drink you want. None of the cheapie food and drinks like at the Captains Circle party.

I think ours started at 7:15 or so. It is very enjoyable, the food is wonderful little bites, but I still prefer the luncheon.

We had the cocktail party on the first part of the b2b, and were a few days away from the 3rd most traveled. On the 2nd part of the b2b, there was no luncheon or party, but we were 3rd most traveled. In addition to the comped dinner at a specialty restaurant we did enjoy receiving the piece of crystal, etc., but there were no Captain's Circle parties either so we kind of missed a bit of the fun of 3rd place. :o

we were on a three day cruise recently and we were number 3 and we were given a free dinner for two in either specialty restaurant in lieu of the luncheon/cocktail party.

fine with me... I like the luncheon but I too prefer the cocktail party.

vickie

How many cruises are usually need for this designation?

The Most Traveled Passengers is by number of days cruised, not number of cruises. It is usually the 40 MTPs, but can be less as a MTP traveling with someone not in the top 40 can bring that person to the event.

The cutoff varies depending on the number of long time Princess cruisers on board.

The cutoff could be 600 days or even higher on some cruises or even below 150 days on others.

Edited by caribill

The Most Traveled Passengers is by number of days cruised, not number of cruises. It is usually the 40 MTPs, but can be less as a MTP traveling with someone not in the top 40 can bring that person to the event.

The cutoff varies depending on the number of long time Princess cruisers on board.

The cutoff could be 600 days or even higher on some cruises or even below 150 days on others.

I have been to six luncheons, but I have not been to one of the cocktail parties. Are the the cocktail parties mix and mingle, stand up type affairs, or are there seats at tables? I have heard that the appetizers are great, but I am puzzled as to how the appetizers can be enjoyed if you are standing, holding a drink.

How does it work?

I have been to six luncheons' date=' but I have not been to one of the cocktail parties. Are the the cocktail parties mix and mingle, stand up type affairs, or are there seats at tables? I have heard that the appetizers are great, but I am puzzled as to how the appetizers can be enjoyed if you are standing, holding a drink.

How does it work?[/quote']

We have been to several lunches as well as a two cocktail parties. We prefer the luncheons. The two cocktail parties we attended were very different. The one on the Pacific Princess 7 years ago was held in the library and while there were no chairs, you could rest a plate or drink on a table; the appetizers were amazing. On the Ruby recently, appetizers were ok. The event was held in Skywalikers so there were tables and chairs but in my opinion not worth the effort.

I have been to six luncheons' date=' but I have not been to one of the cocktail parties. Are the the cocktail parties mix and mingle, stand up type affairs, or are there seats at tables? I have heard that the appetizers are great, but I am puzzled as to how the appetizers can be enjoyed if you are standing, holding a drink.

The cocktail parties we have been to have been held in Skywalkers and also in Adagio (prefer Adagio). Small groups formed and officers mixed and mingled among the tables.

Staff came around and offered tapas type appetizers, some hot and some cold. One party the F&B director was making crepes with a Grand Mariner sauce. You can order any drink off the bar menu and they keep coming.

Vickie

We have been to several lunches as well as a two cocktail parties. We prefer the luncheons. The two cocktail parties we attended were very different. The one on the Pacific Princess 7 years ago was held in the library and while there were no chairs, you could rest a plate or drink on a table; the appetizers were amazing. On the Ruby recently, appetizers were ok. The event was held in Skywalikers so there were tables and chairs but in my opinion not worth the effort.

Thanks for your information. What you have described is what I had envisioned. This is why I have gone to the luncheons, but I have declined several cocktail invitations.

We much prefer the cocktail parties. I don't want to have to get dressed up in the middle of the day to attend a lunch, I don't like being directed where to sit (and they always put couples together, and I can talk to my DH anytime), I don't like drinking alcohol at lunch (and, to me, that is part of the appeal of an MTP), and we can get plenty of food anywhere on the ship.

On the Emerald and Island, there was plenty of seating for the cocktail parties. The Island had incredible hors doerves, prepared right there, enough for a dinner, really. The Emerald stepped up their hors doerves significantly last winter over previous years. At the lunches, officers never stay over...they have to get back to work. But at the parties, we frequently chatted with an officer until well after the party ended, and that's fun too.

The most recent one we attended was in Skywalkers.

We sat down with some other MTPers. Appetizers were brought around. In the center of Skywalkers was a table where additional appetizers were available as well as fresh made crepes. Personnel came around to take drink orders. Various officers and staff rotated around the room to talk with the attendees.

Although I prefer the luncheons because the food is usually extra special, at the lunch you really only get to chat with one officer/staff member. At the cocktail party you get to interact with a number of them.

We were on B2B cruises on the Crown Princess, both 7 days, last month. There were luncheons on both cruises for the most traveled. We were lucky enough to attend one of them.

We were on B2B cruises on the Crown Princess, both 7 days, last month. There were luncheons on both cruises for the most traveled. We were lucky enough to attend one of them.

Wow, that's great! Love the luncheons:)

Thanks, everyone, for the descriptions of the cocktail parties :)

Yes Please explain. We have been MTP several times with a bottle of Champane and a photo.

If there is a luncheon or cocktail party, this does not apply. When they don't do either, they offer a comped dinner at one of the specialty restaurants instead. It was great to be able to have the champagne served with dinner....missed out on the photo.