Coral Princess - Aft facing oceanview cabins

ckrcjr

We are booked on the Coral Princess for a partial canal transit next March. I am thinking of changing our cabin from a balcony to an aft facing oceanview. Does anyone have experience with the E732, 733 or Baja 728 or 731 cabins? It appears there is a deck outside of the cabins, but I would not think it would used very much except for the canal transit itself?

Any thoughts/comments? Too may choices!! Can't wait for our cruise!

Cindy

Those doors slamming shut leading to that aft deck would drive me nuts.....it drove me nuts just sitting in a lounger out there, and not many paid much attention to the sign asking passengers not to allow the door to slam.

We are booked on the Coral Princess for a partial canal transit next March. I am thinking of changing our cabin from a balcony to an aft facing oceanview. Does anyone have experience with the E732, 733 or Baja 728 or 731 cabins? It appears there is a deck outside of the cabins, but I would not think it would used very much except for the canal transit itself?

Cindy

Personally I loved the location, I stayed in B731 sometimes you hear the outer door slam but it never bothered me. I spent most of my time back there. As you said the aft deck is a great place to view the transit through the canal. The only negative I can think of is if you have the lights on in your cabin people can see in. Why pay for a balcony when have what amounts to a private deck!

My mistake --- I'd still want the balcony.

When we did Panama Canal we had the last cabin on E deck and the balcony curved so we had views of side and aft.

Curious as to which cabin you had - we are booked in E736 for Alaska 2015. I thought this would be a great choice but now I'm a little nervous about slamming doors and noise. Did you experience any issues?

Cindy

Hi Cindy.

We were in E732 in September 2013 on a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska. Door slamming noises were not an issue for us since very few people are not aware of this huge almost private aft balcony. No furniture is permitted on the balcony. People that do use it use it mainly for picture taking and don't tend to stay around very long. Then again, we had some cool/cold, misty days so this may have also been a reason for the infrequent use. Only issues we had were on a couple of occasions, one or two cabin stewards used the area to make cell phone calls in front of our cabin window. We contacted the desk about it and the problem went away. Once in a while you may have someone trying to peer through the window but keeping the sheer curtain closed was adequate for us. Over all, I would not mind being in this cabin again.

Here are some pictures for E732 and the balcony outside.

P1020487.jpg.ca9e00397658f50cf831a8b1d58efd2c.jpg

P1020501.jpg.0f6e59f4bce82a31a1f280c2e73b994a.jpg

P1020493.jpg.1ce556bd5c3b7f9d703722f064431e3b.jpg

P1020480.jpg.e5588dc49629ac9b6545411d179a8969.jpg

P1020482.jpg.af6e5e0d7bd2b27c1a73c022fb5b7595.jpg

The aft decks are popular places for other passengers to stand and take in the sites during the entire cruise, but especially during the Canal Transit. It is a convenient space for people in all the cabins along your hall to step outside. People head out there because it is close. Expect there will be a lot of people standing outside your window during the canal transit, so you will not have your cabin window for good viewing to use for yourself. There would be too many people in the way, so you'd probably need to leave your room and find some space along the railings to stand.

I would personally rather have my own balcony to use.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Does anyone know if there are loungers on the Baja deck? From the pictures I have seen, it does appear there are some loungers there, but I am not sure.

We have had inside cabins near the aft of the ship and have never been bothered by slamming doors and I think my main concern is how busy the aft deck is on days when not going through the canal. During the canal transit I am sure we will be out and about on the ship but I am wondering if there are many passengers there during the other parts of the cruise.

It actually sounds like it is a win/win situation with either cabin. Just being on the cruise is going to be wonderful!!

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Does anyone know if there are loungers on the Baja deck? From the pictures I have seen, it does appear there are some loungers there, but I am not sure.

Yes, look at the photo in post#8.

Where the guy is standing alone on the left.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi Cindy.

We were in E732 in September 2013 on a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska. Door slamming noises were not an issue for us since very few people are not aware of this huge almost private aft balcony. No furniture is permitted on the balcony. People that do use it use it mainly for picture taking and don't tend to stay around very long. Then again, we had some cool/cold, misty days so this may have also been a reason for the infrequent use. Only issues we had were on a couple of occasions, one or two cabin stewards used the area to make cell phone calls in front of our cabin window. We contacted the desk about it and the problem went away. Once in a while you may have someone trying to peer through the window but keeping the sheer curtain closed was adequate for us. Over all, I would not mind being in this cabin again.

Here are some pictures for E732 and the balcony outside.

Thanks for the great pictures! It sounds like these cabins definitely are worth considering....

In my opinion the best place for viewing the Canal if on one of the forward open decks. We had an aft suite cabin our last cruise and It was disappointing. The suite was lovely but views are better up front.

On the full transit we did in March on the Island, we had a window mini-suite on the Caribe deck. There was a large almost private deck just outside our door on the front of the ship that was open the entire cruise. Even when it was windy you could go out. Every now and then I would run into one or two people out there (except for canal day when it was crowded in the morning only) but the rest of the time it was empty. DH and I spent a lot of time on that deck. I loved going out in the evening and looking at the stars. It's pretty dark up front (so the bridge can see) and after giving my eyes a minute or two to adjust, the night sky was incredible. It was the best of both worlds; we had a very large cabin and a large almost private balcony with views to the front and somewhat to the side. It was also great for watching dolphins. The cost of the cabin was only $100 more than a standard balcony, so we thought it was well worth it for 15 days. We were in cabin C204. No noise from the door, either. Just another option to consider.

On the full transit we did in March on the Island, we had a window mini-suite on the Caribe deck. There was a large almost private deck just outside our door on the front of the ship that was open the entire cruise. Even when it was windy you could go out. Every now and then I would run into one or two people out there (except for canal day when it was crowded in the morning only) but the rest of the time it was empty. DH and I spent a lot of time on that deck. I loved going out in the evening and looking at the stars. It's pretty dark up front (so the bridge can see) and after giving my eyes a minute or two to adjust, the night sky was incredible. It was the best of both worlds; we had a very large cabin and a large almost private balcony with views to the front and somewhat to the side. It was also great for watching dolphins. The cost of the cabin was only $100 more than a standard balcony, so we thought it was well worth it for 15 days. We were in cabin C204. No noise from the door, either. Just another option to consider.

Those are great cabins with the forward viewing area right there. :D

Don't very often see them discounted though. :(

Those are great cabins with the forward viewing area right there. :D

Don't very often see them discounted though. :(

Yeah, they started out almost as much as a regular mini with a balcony, but then dropped to almost the same price as a balcony cabin. That's when we jumped on it, but there was no hurry because the price stayed low for awhile. They also didn't sell out for quite a while either, so there didn't seem to be a demand for them on our sailing. I think they're terrific cabins and would book one of them again in a heartbeat on the Coral or Island. Provided the price is right, of course. The only downside is that the laundry room is quite a hike, but we made do!

Curious as to which cabin you had - we are booked in E736 for Alaska 2015. I thought this would be a great choice but now I'm a little nervous about slamming doors and noise. Did you experience any issues?

It it was E73?. Sorry, the cruise was in 2007 and I don't recall cabin number, but it was the last side balcony cabin on E deck aft. There is a small, narrow rear deck on E, and it does have a door that can slam. Only a few people will fit on this deck as well, maybe they were all extra thoughtful and conscientious of not slamming the door. We could hear the door, but we are early risers and never really found it a problem.

As is said often ---- a cruise is as good or bad as you make it --- go with a positive attitude and everything will be fine!

Edited by GloriaF

We loved B728. It was as close to having a private balcony as we could get because hardly anyone used the aft public space on our deck. There were lounge chairs available out there. I personally would still prefer a balcony stateroom, but if you can save some $ by booking the aft Oceanview, I think it's a treasure and worthwhile.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It it was E73?. Sorry, the cruise was in 2007 and I don't recall cabin number, but it was the last side balcony cabin on E deck aft. There is a small, narrow rear deck on E, and it does have a door that can slam. Only a few people will fit on this deck as well, maybe they were all extra thoughtful and conscientious of not slamming the door. We could hear the door, but we are early risers and never really found it a problem.

As is said often ---- a cruise is as good or bad as you make it --- go with a positive attitude and everything will be fine!

Yes, it must be the same cabin - the last balcony on E deck aft.

This is actually the first time we have booked a specific cabin far in advance - usually we book last minute and either get a guarantee or pick one of the few that are left. We haven't been in a "bad" cabin yet and have always had a wonderful time.

I constantly have to remind myself to mentally disregard the negative comments I read on this board - everything is subjective and the negative commenters rarely share the same opinions as I.

What you say about a cruise being as good or bad as you make it and going with a positive attitude can really be applied to all things in life, don't you think?

Thanks for the info!

• 3 years later...