Which train station in Miami for a bit of Tourism

Louand66

Hi all,

After our cruise we are staying in Fort Lauderdale and would like to spend the day in Miami doing the general tourist bit.

My question is on the TRI which train station would I get off in Miami.

Many thanks

that's correct ... you need to transfer to the METRO to get downtown. Trirail ends at the airport.

Your best bet is the transfer station one stop b4 the end of the line, then take METRO green line down town.

Then you probably want to get off at Government Cetner where you can transfer to the METRO-MOVER or a bus if you want south beach

Miami is spread out ... you are best off with a destination cuz if you just wing it you may find yourself in a part of town you'd rather not be . . .

I would choose Miami Beach over downtown Miami for a look at the "Miami" shown on tv and movies. Miami is just a big city on the water. Miami BEACH , including South Beach, is what the tourists want to see and experience.

I would choose Miami Beach over downtown Miami for a look at the "Miami" shown on tv and movies. Miami is just a big city on the water. Miami BEACH , including South Beach, is what the tourists want to see and experience.

and much less accessible via public transportation comin' from Ft L'

{pssst ... rent a car for the day. You will spend a few more $ and save 3 hours of travel time}

There IS plenty to see in Miami ... but I agree, what many want to see is what is really Miami Beach .... and almost 2% of THAT is factual . . . .

Hi all,

Thanks for the great help.

So i get on the TRI at Fort Lauderdale.

Get off at the transfer station (anyone know what thats called)

Then get on the the metro Green line to down town. Which stop should we get off.

Then get off at the Government Centre where I transfer to the metro.

We want to just visit some tourist sports so any help with places to go would be great.

Happy Cruising all.

If you want to go to SB you should ride the Tri-Rail to the MIA airport station; from MIA you can catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for $2.35 each.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

Ride the bus back to MIA and then Tri-Rail back to Fort Lauderdale; I agree with the CAPT - spend $30-40 on a rental car and save yourself lots of time and hassel.

Forget TriRail. There is a big articulated bus from FTL to downtown Miami called Ride 95. $2.85. Pull up the previously mentioned Mia gov site for route. It takes 95 expressway, is quick. Not much to see DT Miami. Go over the bridge to South Beach.

Edited by zoncom

Hi Zoncom,

Does this go from Fort Lauderdale Airport or somewhere in Fort Lauderdale.

Is this run by Broward.org.

Im looking for a simple journey from Fort Lauderdale to Miami South Beech. Having never been I guess I have no idea of the size of these places.

We are staying in this hotel if it helps.

Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port

1221 W State Road 84 Fort Lauderdale Florida

Im still confused.com

Hi Zoncom,

Does this go from Fort Lauderdale Airport or somewhere in Fort Lauderdale.

Is this run by Broward.org.

Im looking for a simple journey from Fort Lauderdale to Miami South Beech. Having never been I guess I have no idea of the size of these places.

We are staying in this hotel if it helps.

Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port

1221 W State Road 84 Fort Lauderdale Florida

Im still confused.com

Renting a car would be so much easier and less stressful. Set your sights on one area you really would like to spend time in and go there, whether it be South Beach, Coconut Grove, etc. South Beach is always a good choice because you can simply park your car for the day in a garage and walk everywhere or rent a bicycle to get around.

The Express Bus is another good option. You can catch the 95 Express Bus from the Fort Lauderdale Tri-Rail / Amtrak station off of Broward Blvd and I-95 (the bus stop is across the street from the train station next to the large parking lot). The bus is a straight shot down I-95 to Downtown Miami. You can get off at Government Center to transfer to the Metro Mover and get off at College/Bayside. You can then find the Big Bus hop on/hop off bus at Bayside to take you around the city and over to South Beach.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes_detail.asp?route=195

Tri-Rail gets a little more complicated because you have to make a couple of extra transfers.

1. Take the Tri-Rail from either the Fort Lauderdale station (I-95 and Broward Blvd) or the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Int'l Airport station (I-95 and Griffin Rd).

2. Get off at MetroRail Transfer Station and take the green line south.

3. Get off at Government Center and transfer to Metro Mover.

4. Get off at College/Bayside

Here is some info on the Big Bus - starting point is at Bayside. Sometimes there are Groupon, Living Social, or Travelzoo coupons.

http://eng.bigbustours.com/miami/route-map.html

Just take caution should you decide to take the trains because some of the drop off/transfer stations are not very safe in the evening.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Edited by brunello22

To add: There's NO free parking in downtown Miami of Miami Beach.

$1.50+ per hour or a flat rate of $20+.

One other thing.

Tri rail runs every hour weekends until 7pm.

Then the last train of the day is three hours later.

Grab a schedule.

Metro rail is every 10 mins weekday and every 1/2 hour weekends.

Just to clarify a few points.

The big articulated bus is called 95 Express and operates most frequently during rush hours. It does not operate on weekends.

Tri-Rail does not go to Miami Airport quite yet, it will later this year. Depending on your arrival you may have to take a shuttle bus from Hialeah Market to transfer to the Beach Bus.

I am a big fan of mass transit, but rarely recommend a visitor to try to do it between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It takes up too much time.

Just to clarify a few points.

The big articulated bus is called 95 Express and operates most frequently during rush hours. It does not operate on weekends.

Tri-Rail does not go to Miami Airport quite yet, it will later this year. Depending on your arrival you may have to take a shuttle bus from Hialeah Market to transfer to the Beach Bus.

I am a big fan of mass transit, but rarely recommend a visitor to try to do it between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It takes up too much time.

Agree with all of the above.

I would rent a car.