bringing water etc.

morry2121

I understand that we can bring water/soda on board. I have noticed that it is usually cases that are discussed. If we wanted to bring the larger bottles (2 liter size), is this allowed? Can these be put in the luggage? What is the limit for water or soda?

no limit. If you put the bottle in your luggage instead of carrying them on, be prepared to be called to a special room (the naughty room) to open your suitcase and show them the bottles (to confirm there is no booze). It's easier to carry them on.

We brought water on board on our last cruise. Mainly to make coffee......I brought DD. When I ran out, I used the water from the tap and it wasn't nearly as good. The water in the restaurants was very good tho.

Yes you can.

And, as to water, can someone answer - which is better, bottled or ships water?

Define "better". Safer, purer, or tastier?

Safety: Bottled water from the US is of course safe, but there are large cottage industries in many countries of refilling water bottles and installing new "sealed" caps. Ship's water is produced from sea water, or taken onboard at ports of call. Water from shore is chlorinated (as is all water produced onboard) before it is stored in the ship's tanks, and is segregated from use until the medical center has tested it for coliform bacteria, which takes 18-24 hours. The water on ships is constantly circulated, unlike at home, and the chlorine level is maintained with a residual amount, to keep it sanitized.

Purity: Depends on your bottled water source. Unless it is spring water, most bottled water is filtered tap water. The "purity" (and I mean the chemical "hardness" of the water) depends on where it is bottled. Ship's water will also vary in hardness, depending on how much shore water is taken on. The distilled or reverse osmosis water made from sea water is about 99.5% distilled, but a small amount of calcium carbonate is added back to neutralize the acidity of distilled water.

Taste: This is one of the most subjective discussions known to mankind: whose water tastes better. Many cruisers complain of the taste of the ship's water, and this is due to the residual chlorine required to be maintained in the water. Water at the dining venues, bars, ice makers, water fountains and drink dispensers have a charcoal filter to remove the chlorine (it causes maintenance problems in the machines), so this water does not have the chlorine taste. Also, chlorine dissipates quickly, so if you fill a pitcher or water bottle from your cabin faucet, let it sit open for an hour or so, and the chlorine will dissipate, and the taste along with it.

I've made water on ships for 40 years, and couldn't conceive of bringing cases of water onboard, but that's just me. I'm not a water snob, but the most I would do is bring a filter type water bottle.

Our community water has very high levels of chlorine, so I am used to water with "flavor". However, on all the NCL ships we have sailed, the water to me has been crystal clear, odorless, and completely taste free...regardless of where we got it. But, after our community water, I'm pretty easy to please.

We used to bring our own water, but the last three cruise we used tap water and in our opinion it was fine. We bring our own sports bottles, fill with ice and add tap water. This is the same water that is used for ice and served in the restaurants and bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our community water has very high levels of chlorine, so I am used to water with "flavor". However, on all the NCL ships we have sailed, the water to me has been crystal clear, odorless, and completely taste free...regardless of where we got it. But, after our community water, I'm pretty easy to please.

So am I, but we don't have a lot of chlorine. And not knowing where you're from, I can't say for sure, but what you are describing as "taste" may not be chlorine. Most municipalities chlorinate the water at the source (lake, river, well, whatever) in their filtering plant, and the water travels one way to the houses. If no one is using water, it sits in the pipes and the chlorine will dissipate. Shipboard water is constantly recirculated, and the chlorine is added in the engine room, and monitored for a residual of 0.5ppm at the farthest point from there (typically the bridge), so if your cabin is closer to the main pipes coming from the engine room, you may have a higher chlorine concentration than other cabins. You may be describing "hardness", and again this depends on where the water comes from, and how much iron or steel pipe (from the old days) it travels through as to how many minerals are in the water.

There are 7 of us cruising and we drink lots of water, I am bringing on a rolling cooler with water, cokes and sprite. We have done it the last couple of cruises with no problem, we keep the cooler on the balcony (and it serves as an extra seat too!! We just slap a luggage tag on it and viola, it gets delivered with our luggage!! :)

There are 7 of us cruising and we drink lots of water, I am bringing on a rolling cooler with water, cokes and sprite. We have done it the last couple of cruises with no problem, we keep the cooler on the balcony (and it serves as an extra seat too!! We just slap a luggage tag on it and viola, it gets delivered with our luggage!! :)

I didn't even THINK of bringing on a rolling cooler! That's a great idea. About how big was it? We have one that would work out, and it's not huge so that works as well.

I've made water on ships for 40 years, and couldn't conceive of bringing cases of water onboard, but that's just me. I'm not a water snob, but the most I would do is bring a filter type water bottle.

Same. I figure "to each his own" when people want to haul water...or soda for that matter... on board, but no way in heck would I ever do it.

I bring bottled water simply for convenience. Yes, I know I'm a terrible person, destroying the planet. But I don't want to schlep a refillable water bottle all over the ship with me, or out in port all day. (I don't use bottled water at home - filtered tap water is fine.)

Edited by dread_pirate

But if you could haul beer...;)

That was where we got the idea, a group tried to bring a rolling cooler full of beer on one of our cruises and got busted!!

Edited by pathubia

Then there must have been something wrong with the water system on my only previous cruise. The water in the room had a bad smell and taste, more musty than chlorine. The water in the buffet was better, but if I filled a bottle at night to take back to the room, it was just as bad by the morning.

We quickly ran out of the few bottles we brought with us, and when we couldn't take the smell/taste any more, had to buy the expensive bottled water on the ship.

As we mainly drink water (very few sodas), we are not going to take any chances this time, and will be bringing a case of water on the ship.

Does NCL's Ultimate Beverage Package include bottled water? On our last Celebrity cruise, the Classic Beverage Package include bottled water and we would pick up a couple of liters of water before going ashore at all ports and every evening before retiring to our cabin.

I didn't even THINK of bringing on a rolling cooler! That's a great idea. About how big was it? We have one that would work out, and it's not huge so that works as well.

Or bring a hard plastic bag (with a zipper, like this one from IKEA for a few bucks) which folds flat or left onboard after using.

Add a piece of carton on the bottom for some structural strenght. We've taken two 12pack cans of Coke with some more soda bottles on top as checked luggage at the port without any problems.

edit: here's a pic, this one is a 12 gallon bag.

knalla-bag__0243251_PE382525_S4.JPG

Edited by FreestyleNovice