Buyer's Remorse

Hey Cindy thank you very much! That's my DW's name! As I always say I've never met a Cindy I didn't like! I hope you have a wonderful cruise! Would love to hear your thoughts upon your return! Have fun!:D

As you can see from my post count, I'm sure I'll have a few things to say!:o

Like Cruise Junky, I have just gotten off Solstice. It was a wonderful cruise and I'm now in Cruise withdrawl wondering what I was doing this time last Sunday and wishing I could turn the clock back.

You will love Aqua class and Blu. We were in AQ the last 3 cruises and I do have to say we were a bit worried about eating in the MDR on this cruise based on all the complaints. I would have to say it was wonderful. Steaks were very tender. Fish was not overcooked as some have reported. The famous sea day brunch that some think has disappeared, has just been relocated to the Oceanview buffet. The only thing that was missing was the ice sculptures and while they are beautiful, you can't eat them!

Enjoy your cruise and I hope it leads to another booking on board.

My DW and I are seasoned cruisers and sail 1 or 2 times a year. We have never sailed Celebrity, so during the 123GO promotion we decided to take the plunge and booked Aqua on Silhouette for November.

Naturally, I came over and began following the chat on the Celebrity board to get a feel for the ship, experience on board and overall experience of others. I have to say, I'm more than a little concerned. There is significant discontent with a lot of folks on this board regarding Celebrity. Customer Service issues onboard, problems with the details of the booking such as the drink packages not on the passenger's reservation, decline in food quality, etc. I get that every line out there is making cutbacks, so I'm not going into this blind.

So is this just me overreacting, or are there some serious issues going on. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!:confused:

The first cruise that we ever took was fabulous and we couldn't understand why some people were complaining.

After that cruise there were people who cruised before telling us that ship was too old, too small, etc and that we need to sail on such and such and on and on. I guess we were too stupid to realize that we weren't supposed to have a great time because of all of the negatives.

Some just expect too much because they feel that they are the only person on board.

Chances are you will not be disappointed if you have the right attitude.

Just got back from an absolutely fantastic 15 night transatlantic on Silhouette. :)

Booked an Inside GTY for $630pp with a $250 OBC. :D

It was my first Celebrity cruise as "Elite" so also got free drinks every night. :cool:

Dined in both Qsine and Lawn Club for 50% off. ;)

I was sitting at a table at the Sunset Bar on the last night of the cruise as we were sailing away from Naples. (after a totally MIND BOGGLING visit to Herculaneum and Pompeii)

All of the other 6 people at this table were staying in cabins at LEAST Celebrity Suite or LARGER. (and more expensive)

I commented that this was at least tied with the best cruise I had ever been on.

For the next 10 minutes all I heard was an unending list of complaints about how BAD this cruise was for them... poor food, poor service, unfriendly staff, cutbacks this, substandard that, unacceptable something else. :rolleyes:

I also heard a guy on a tour complaining about being "sick and tired of seeing nothing but ruins."

I think "miched" summed it up pretty well. It's all about expectations and perceptions. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Edited by teecee60

A number of reviews on this particular board comment on the number of negative reviews about Celebrity and that many should be taken with a grain (or more) of salt. Yes, each cruise we have been on has has something that we wished was better; but really, is asking for ice (as one example) so hard to make it a point of discontent about a cruise? Treat your room steward, waiters and bar tenders with respect and kindness and they will reciprocate because these are truly hard working, dedicated and nice people.

As for Celebrity changing things like the Classic drink package on the fly, this is a low blow from Corporate and a bit sleazy. First, they come up with the 123Go package that had specified rules..............then they change them. At the very least, Celebrity should allow people who chose one of the 3 options to change them if they want to. I would rather now have the OBC instead of the classic drink package. If Celebrity can change their program, they should allow passengers to change their choice. Is that too much to ask?

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

You didn't make a mistake. I read these boards and my sailings are nothing like what is discussed here. There is more whining and complaining on these boards. Never used to be like this. I am Elite but all that means is I've taken enough cruises to form an opinion.

I've spent some time on the Carnival and RCCL boards as I was taking cruises on them and they are much more positive.

Things happen and people have the right to complain when there is a real problem but some of these folks get carried away.

As an example I've read many posts where people complain about the buffet, it is not classy. They never eat there, etc. Then Celebrity changes the Elite breakfast to do away with the buffet and actually serve items directly to your table, and holy cow you'd think they did away with unlimited food. That thread must be 20 pages long.

So you'll see there is a lot of complaining about very little and it is the old 80/20 rule. Eighty percent of the complaints are made by 20 percent of the people.

You will love it. If not, come back and complain :)

Celebrities new C.E.O. was blunt and upfront when he took the position that changes would be made.

Many of the changes have been to improve Celebrities contribution to the RCCL bottom line. That is business and without a satisfactory R.O.I. there will be no new ships, and probably no Celebrity.

This has upset a small but very vocal group of Cruise Critic and many of them post over and over and over again which can appear to a new reader that everything about Celebrity is negative.

This view is not shared by the over whelming majority as demonstrated by the number of people who cruise with Celebrity every time one of their ships leaves a home port.

I encourage the O.P. to go, judge for themselves the value of their cruise, and once completed come back, reactivate this thread and let us know your thoughts.

FWIW, we moved to Celebrity from Princess in 2005, and we've never looked back. There have of course been changes, with Celebrity and I'm sure every cruise line still in business. If the day comes when we don't see value in a Celebrity cruise, then we will look at our options, but for now we are satisfied.

I can't wait for our upcoming Baltic cruise on the Eclipse! This is my fourth cruise with Celebrity and my second on the Eclipse. All four of my cruises depart/departed from a European port. It just doesn't get much better than that! Celebrity + Europe +'s a wonderful vacation, one where memories are made! You will so enjoy your cruise...don't sweat the small stuff and most of the negativity on the boards is just small stuff. For some reason a few people think that they are entitled; it is a cruise and a vacation that is part of life. and can only be enjoyable if you allow it to be. There are no super humans to make sure your every wish is fulfilled perfectly. I have even gotten up during breakfast and bussed my own dishes! it was my choice... Imagine going through life without everything being wrong or just not up to par...how very, very sad.:eek:

Edited by Lastdance

After cancellng a Princess cruise and booking with Celebrity I too hit the Celebrity boards. YIKES! (so I thought). But now have no fears. I have asked many questions and always get an answer back with a smile and additional great advice. Princess, in my book, is a tought act to follow but my wife and I can't wait to sail with Celebrity. So, hang in there and enjoy your cruise!

I see you are sailing on Solstice in December.

We did that cruise last March and we had a great time. The ship and all the services were top notch.

Hopefully, your experience will mirror ours.

Dick and Ruta

My DW and I are seasoned cruisers :confused:

Our first cruise was in 1987, won a contest at work. Took the kids on their first in 1993. We have seen changes galore. We had sailed on 7 different lines before we found out about Cruise Critic in 2003. Over the years I have acted childish, and seen others do the same. We cherish the chances we have had to experience this form of vacation called 'cruising' and always look forward with great anticipation to the next one. Celebrity is our first choice after 25 years.

You are seasoned cruisers, no need for confusion :)

EW

My DW and I are seasoned cruisers and sail 1 or 2 times a year. We have never sailed Celebrity, so during the 123GO promotion we decided to take the plunge and booked Aqua on Silhouette for November. We wanted to try Celebrity and were hopeful it would provide a pleasant experience.

Naturally, I came over and began following the chat on the Celebrity board to get a feel for the ship, experience on board and overall experience of others. I have to say, I'm more than a little concerned. There is significant discontent with a lot of folks on this board regarding Celebrity. Customer Service issues onboard, problems with the details of the booking such as the drink packages not on the passenger's reservation, decline in food quality, etc. I get that every line out there is making cutbacks, so I'm not going into this blind.

So is this just me overreacting, or are there some serious issues going on. We were using this cruise as a trial ballon for a 2016 Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity, but also want to have a nice vacation in November. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! :confused:

I'm sure you will have a great cruise. The Mediterranean is really all about the ports, very port intensive cruises.

Like you we cruise about 2 times a year. We are elite on Princess, elite on Celebrity, cruise HAL, Cunard and NCL. We are not loyal to any line, look for the itinerary we like first.

We are booked on the Silhouette in the Mediterranean ourselves in October. This class of X ships is not our favorite, they are very modern, quiet beautiful but we have not been happy with the food or service in the MDR. We have cruised on the Equinox and Eclipse in the past. Regardless, we booked the Silhouette becuase we like the itinerary. The Silhouette has a great buffet, so we will enjoy it and the ports and will be more than satisfied. We did AQ class on the Eclipse, BlU is much better than the MDR. All the cabins are basically the same so we decided to book a 1B cabin this trip.

We have done the Mediterranean many times... it is hard to go wrong on one of these cruises.

I'm not sure if you want an honest answer or a variation of the same 2 responses you have already gotten

A) There are cuts happening on every mass-market cruise line

B) These are the same spoiled malcontents who are doing all the complaining.

Believe what you want. I have never ever been on a bad cruise. My worst cruise was an enjoyable vacation.

Having said this, my last cruise on the Constellation was a letdown .

There were many cuts, mediocre entertainment and the food was disappointing especially in Blu.

Let me ask OP - have you ever had a bad cruise ? If not you will probably have a good time especially if your hopes aren't too high.

Now I will let other posters continue the previously scheduled comforting and extolling .:rolleyes:

Edited by richstowe

My DW and I are seasoned cruisers and sail 1 or 2 times a year. We have never sailed Celebrity, so during the 123GO promotion we decided to take the plunge and booked Aqua on Silhouette for November. We wanted to try Celebrity and were hopeful it would provide a pleasant experience.

So is this just me overreacting, or are there some serious issues going on. We were using this cruise as a trial ballon for a 2016 Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity, but also want to have a nice vacation in November. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!:confused:

Your question is very interesting to me. A few months ago I booked a Princess cruise (after spending a lot of time doing a lot of research), but within a few days of booking I suddenly found out (through CC) that the balcony I had booked jutted out further than the ones above it and was completely uncovered, meaning that everyone on the starboard side of the ship could look down into our balcony :eek: In addition, there would be no sun protection whatsoever (and, what became more important on our particular cruise, no rain protection!). I had never in a million years dreamt that such a balcony existed on any cruise ship, so I had not thought to research this before booking the cruise. Soon after booking we also found out that the port which we thought was in Houston proper was actually more than 45 minutes away from the closest airport, so we would have to make particular hotel reservations and arrange for (and pay for) transportation to and from the ship that we had not included in our cruise budget. The cost of flights had gone up, too, since I first began doing my research, so that added to our issues.

I became so frustrated, upset, and, really, frightened that I had made a seriously bad decision, that I fretted for at least a week about whether I should simply cancel the whole thing. But we had booked very late in the game, all cruise fees had been paid, and of course I would get back less than half my money if I did cancel. Plus I would have no cruise!

So I think I understand how you are feeling.

In the end, we worked out our budget, our flights, our transportation to and from the port, and we took the cruise. Was our cruise perfect? No. Did we enjoy our uncovered balcony? Yes, but nowhere near as much as we would have enjoyed a private, covered one. And we actually felt glad that we could look straight down to the sea from our balcony, even though we knew people were looking down at us -- we were very glad we were not the ones looking down from their partially or fully covered balconies above and seeing, instead of the sea, other balconies below! And of course, we realized right away that since they could look down into our uncovered balcony, we could look up into theirs, so other folks' balconies weren't necessarily private either!

The stress of these unexpected pre-cruise issues actually made me need a vacation all the more, and as it turned out, the cruise we chose had an itinerary which proved to be perfect for reaching our goal of truly relaxing. (We had gotten that part right, at least.)

So I wholeheartedly agree with the posters who have said, 1. too much research can be a bad thing (although I think we CCer's are genetically incapable of paying attention to that warning :rolleyes:),and

2. look forward to enjoying your cruise no matter what. If you go into it with somewhat lower expectations than you had when you booked, you will most likely be pleasantly surprised. At any rate, you probably will not be disappointed! (unrealistically high expectations are the ones that lead to disappointment, I find.)

take it for what it is.... We do RC and are very happy.... have done Celebrity a few times and in fact have one booked on the Millennium in October for Japan.... we have cruise Celebrity in the Baltic and Panama and had a great time... we loved it when we found restaurants outside of the usual dining areas. We also like the fact that they have indoor pools to relax at, it's a different type of atmosphere that's all. We have also done Princess and if there is any cruise line to complain about there you go.... since being taken over by Carnival most people call it Carnivalised.. Our last cruise with Princess was a mess.. and yes service sucked but as with everyone's statement all the lines have had to make adjustments with the economy and the fact people are just not cruising that much.

Here is the big thing... you have to look at each type of cruise line and look for what YOU want. Are you going with kids? Is it an adult get away? So on and so forth.... certain lines are geared toward families, others that young adult set, others look for the older crowd... If you get on the wrong type of ship and your only there to party then of course your not going to be happy....

get it?

Uncle Fester sailing from Las Vegas

Married on Monarch of the Sea 07-07-07

Celebrity

Princess

RC

Carnival

NCL