No stingrays for this family - what to do here?

jdragr

So first time cruisers. Everyone says go to sting ray city. We have snorkeled before and just do not enjoy it at all. So any kind of snorkeling is out. What can we do? Family consists of dh, me, and 2 dd's (21 and 15).

I believe you can go to sting ray city and not snorkel. Water is waist deep and it's really something you have to experience!!! Tons of different tour options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I believe you can go to sting ray city and not snorkel. Water is waist deep and it's really something you have to experience!!! Tons of different tour options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My family does not want to see the stingrays. We have done sting rays before on a land excursion.

Botanical Gardens, Beach, Turtle Farm, Rent Bicycles and take a tour, rent a car and head to Rum Point, do a waverunner tour, take a kayak tour of the mangroves, shop, Banana boat rides, Parasail, etc. Lot's to do. What DO you like to do? We can steer you if you give us an idea of what kinds of things you would like.

Adventurous, relaxing, in the sun, out of the sun, nature, water-based, land-based, eating/drinking, etc.

We like to relax, love a lazy river lol, girls like to shop. Dh and dd doesn't like any type of scuba or snorkeling. He is interested in riding wave runners. The girls and I love to lay on the beach. I've mentioned bicycles and everyone shot me down on that one. We don't drink for religious reasons. Thanks for helping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great destination for you then. Head to Seven Mile Beach (it's just north of town and runs up the coast). There are a number of different areas that have beach chairs, waverunner rentals, food, etc. It is a short cab or bus ride to this public beach.

When you have had your fill of the beach, head back into town where there's plenty of shopping (although don't expect deals here, it's fairly expensive), restaurants, galleries, all along the waterfront.

A guidebook on your ports will benefit you greatly! That way, you can find out ALL there is to do in each place! Stingrays/dolphins/snorkeling are but a teensy bit of things to do!

Your library will have guidebooks! Check one out! It will help you make the most of your time ashore. Once you decide on what you want, head back to these boards, and see how others have done it. So many things are easy to do on your own!

Does Grand Cayman/Georgetown have any beach inclusives like Cozumel does? I am talking about the places in Cozumel such as Nachi Cocum, Paradise Beach and Mr Sanchos.

We have no interest in butterflies or sting rays, and just want to kick back on the beach. I see 7-Mile beach mentioned quite a bit. Do they have chairs? Food? Facilities?

Any other suggestions?

We enjoy going to Calico Jack's at Seagrape Beach which is a beach on 7 Mile Beach. :D

Don't go to Hell ... a total waste of time unless you want to buy a t-shirt or something saying "I've Been to Hell". :rolleyes:

LuLu

My family does not want to see the stingrays. We have done sting rays before on a land excursion.

:grin: You do realize that's kind of like saying you have no interest in an African safari 'cause you've seen lions at the zoo, right? :grin: Stingray City is like nothing else around, as you're out in the open ocean surrounded by wild stingrays that are completely used to being fed by humans. But to each his own, I guess...

If you're interested in beach lounging and some shopping, Seven Mile Beach is awesome. Head to your preferred section based on the descriptions here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1880444 - hubby can rent a jet ski for a bit, you can enjoy the sun and sand, have some snacks and a soda, shop on the way back to the ship, etc. It's a great island for a DIY excursion like that, since it's very safe and easy to get around. No organized excursion needed.

Edited by bookbabe

I have one in our party that is claustrophobic when in water. It causes panic attacks. So while I understand this would be a totally different experience then when we were at Discovery Cove it just isn't worth the risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it would be best just to walk around town, shop a bit, and have lunch at a restaurant.

You do realize you're going to have to tender. Will that be a problem for the one who gets panic attacks?

LuLu

Seven Mile Beach, Royal Palms, $4 cab ride pp each way, do the pay as you go, a few bucks for chairs. You can just relax but options to do motorized things is available also. Drinks and food can be purchased also.