DUBLINERS Help, Please.

I see tours on Viator (and other Tour Operator websites) for evening walking or bus tours to Pubs, Restaurants, or Theatres. Which venue do you think has the best Riverdance & Irish music, singing, as well as dinner or pub grub? I will be there for a week in August. Thanks a lot. ;)

Donna I.

Hi Donna,

There is a performance of the musical, Riverdance, every evening throughout the summer in the Gaiety Theatre which is beside Grafton Street/St. Stephen's Green.

http://www.gaietytheatre.ie/index.php/whats-on-buy-tickets/calendar/riverdance-20th-anniversary/529

If you want to hear genuine Irish traditional music, then I strongly recommend the Cobblestone pub in Smithfield. Smithfield is a fifteen minute walk from O'Connell Bridge. The Cobblestone's website is being redesigned at present, but this Facebook page will give you an idea what it is like.

https://www.facebook.com/thecobblestone

There is a session every evening and you will hear the real stuff there. The Temple Bar area is full of pubs playing, in my opinion, a debased and vulgarised version of Irish music and catering to tourists. If you require further assistance, please let me know.

Dermot

ok,ok I know I live in Cork! (But I work in Dublin :D )

So places that I have taken visitors (mostly Japanese, some European and a few American) are:

O'Donohues bar, on Merrion Row.

The Brazen Head in Smithfield area,

and of course they loved Johnny Foxes, in Glencullen

Thanks, Guys.

I have been having hours of fun looking at all these websites. O.K. There is an Express Bus that picks up from the hotels to go to the Johnnie Fox's Pub for 10 Euros Return. So, which hotel is closest to my apartment at:

20 Summerfield, Irishtown Road, Ringsend, D4.

HOTEL LIST

Gresham Hotel on O'Connell Street

Opposite the Westin Hotel on Westmoreland Street

Shelbourne Hotel at 27 St Stephen's Green

Merrion Hotel on Upper Merrion Street

Burlington Hotel on Sussex Road

Radisson SAS Stillorgan on Stillorgan Road

Stillorgan Park Hotel on Stillorgan Road

Bewleys Hotel - Leopardstown, Central Park, Sandyford

Johnnie Fox's Pub, Glencullen Crossroads

Thanks, Guys.

I have been having hours of fun looking at all these websites. O.K. There is an Express Bus that picks up from the hotels to go to the Johnnie Fox's Pub for 10 Euros Return. So, which hotel is closest to my apartment at:

20 Summerfield, Irishtown Road, Ringsend, D4.

HOTEL LIST

Gresham Hotel on O'Connell Street

Opposite the Westin Hotel on Westmoreland Street

Shelbourne Hotel at 27 St Stephen's Green

Merrion Hotel on Upper Merrion Street

Burlington Hotel on Sussex Road

Radisson SAS Stillorgan on Stillorgan Road

Stillorgan Park Hotel on Stillorgan Road

Bewleys Hotel - Leopardstown, Central Park, Sandyford

Johnnie Fox's Pub, Glencullen Crossroads

The number 1 bus will take you from Irishtown Road to the city centre in a little under fifteen minutes. The bus goes up Pearse Street before turning into Westmoreland Street and then crossing the Liffey into O'Connell Street. So the Westin Hotel, Westmoreland Street would seem the handiest place to pick up the bus for Johnnie Fox's.

The number 1 bus will take you from Irishtown Road to the city centre in a little under fifteen minutes. The bus goes up Pearse Street before turning into Westmoreland Street and then crossing the Liffey into O'Connell Street. So the Westin Hotel, Westmoreland Street would seem the handiest place to pick up the bus for Johnnie Fox's.

Exactly what I need to know. Thanks a lot. I looked at all the websites for all these venues mentioned and they all seem a bit different, some with dinner or Pub Fare, some with storytelling, and all with wonderful music. :D

I think I will be going out every evening.

BTW, I am thinking that Mairnealach is Gaelic. Is there a translation ? :confused:

Thanks again.

An Irish Princess :cool:

BTW, I am thinking that Mairnealach is Gaelic. Is there a translation ? :confused:

Thanks again.

An Irish Princess :cool:

mairnéalach, m. (gs. & npl. -aigh, gpl. ~). Mariner, seaman, sailor. ~ cabhlaigh, seaman in navy, bluejacket. ~ trádála, merchant-seaman. ~ boird, deck-hand. ~ mullaigh, topman.

• 5 years later...