Old Carnival Celebration moving again

jimbo5544

At a meeting of TAs on-board Costa Luminosa, Costa's CEO announced that Iberocruceros (100% owned by Costa) will be closed down by the end of this year. No mentioned was made as to what will happen to the old Holiday.

Maybe Carnival should take back the Holiday, there must be a market for old style cruising, the would making a packet.

Ron

The photos I saw of Holiday after it's 4 month refurb, prior to going to Ibero, looked stunning. Carnival should've done that and kept it.

Are there any balcony cabins at all on the Celebration?

I know there are no grand suites with balconies like those found on the upper deck of the fantasy class. However i dont know if there were junior suites with balconies like those found on the verandah deck of the fantasy class. I am thinking no but could be wrong.

I know there are no grand suites with balconies like those found on the upper deck of the fantasy class. However i dont know if there were junior suites with balconies like those found on the verandah deck of the fantasy class. I am thinking no but could be wrong.

There were no junior suites back then.

Our first cruise was on the Celebration out of Galveston in 1991. We had a blast! Our cabin was an inside in the very back of the ship, I don't remember the deck. But when the engines started up we looked at each other and it was an OMG moment. The whole boat shook with every turn of the screw. We were stupid and didn't know any better so we made the best of it.

Our first family cruise was on the Celebration out of Jacksonville FL. We sailed the Sat that Hurricane Katrina was hitting Key West on her way to New Orleans.

Luved the whole Carnival experience and always wondered what happened to her.

I believe this was one of, if not the, first cruise ship my parents took back in 1988 or so. It is enjoyably to learn where old ships end up and how they get redone and repurposed, etc. It sure beats the scrap yards.

Yep thats what they did when the Carnival Tropicale was transferred to them:

Costa_Tropicale_2003-07-05.JPG

I think that looks great. Classy looking pocket cruiser. Really, to me, one of the first "modern" type cruise ships and you can definitely see a resemblance at the front to many of todays ships; while the rear half is more open and free of cabins more like the revitalized second hand liners that had preceded this all new ship.

I found this video on Youtube, you can see she looks great inside too.

Nice find. I remember seeing one of the "re-done" Holiday as well. Amazing what they can do to an old tired ship. These fit well for niche type cruising (especially in smaller ports of all you can run into in the Med).

Too bad there is so much smoke on European cruises, the five language run on every announcement gets old after a while as well.

I think she is in Valencia today. I can see the cruise port from my hotel window. This morning, I looked out to see what had arrived, and saw a blue whale tail with the funky orange logo. I knew it had to be an ex-Carnival ship, and this would be the place to find out. :)

I can only see the top few decks. I don't see the painted people on her hull, but otherwise she looks correct. I will try to get to the harbor before she leaves and get a good shot to post.

Confirming that it is the Grand Celebration, formerly Carnival Celebration, soon to be ??? Here are some shots...

Featuring, the unmistakable Whale Tail funnel...

GrandCelebration.jpg

Yes, there are some suites with balconies, which today would be probably be classed as "obstructed"...

GCSuites.jpg

And a couple of extra views...

GCFrnt34.jpg

GCFaceOn.jpg

Even though she may be a "cute little ship" by today's mega standards, up close and personal, she is still quite the impressive old girl!

I thought they would have transferred the new costa diadem to carnival after the Concordia incident. Especially since it is a dream class. Guess I was wrong though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Splendor is a Costa Fortuna class. It was built for Costa and while being built, Costa realized it could not support the ship, so they stuck a Carnival funnel on it.

So a lot of them seem to be interchangeable indeed.

The Splendor is a Costa Fortuna class. It was built for Costa and while being built, Costa realized it could not support the ship, so they stuck a Carnival funnel on it.

So a lot of them seem to be interchangeable indeed.

Use enough, that is why I

She is a one of a kind ship. We love the Splendor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Confirming that it is the Grand Celebration, formerly Carnival Celebration, soon to be ??? Here are some shots...

Featuring, the unmistakable Whale Tail funnel...

GrandCelebration.jpg

Yes, there are some suites with balconies, which today would be probably be classed as "obstructed"...

GCSuites.jpg

And a couple of extra views...

GCFrnt34.jpg

GCFaceOn.jpg

Even though she may be a "cute little ship" by today's mega standards, up close and personal, she is still quite the impressive old girl!

Thanks so much for taking and sharing these pics. When i look at her i think that she is a mini me fantasy lol. Thanks again loved the close ups.

Thanks so much for taking and sharing these pics. When i look at her i think that she is a mini me fantasy lol. Thanks again loved the close ups.

You're very welcome! One unexpected bonus of my choice of hotel for this long term work assignment was the view I have of the harbor and cruise port. Other cruise ships I have seen include the MSC Musica (which comes by on weekly rounds), the Silver Spirit, and Costa Fortuna.

I think she is in Valencia today. I can see the cruise port from my hotel window. This morning, I looked out to see what had arrived, and saw a blue whale tail with the funky orange logo. I knew it had to be an ex-Carnival ship, and this would be the place to find out. :)

I can only see the top few decks. I don't see the painted people on her hull, but otherwise she looks correct. I will try to get to the harbor before she leaves and get a good shot to post.

The orange image on the whale tail, isn't it the logo for Carnival Corps. Ibero line?