ID needed to get back on the ship

Hello. If we leave our passports on the ship I assume we need ID to get back on the ship. My wife, oldest daughter and myself have driver's licenses. Do I need to have some sort of ID for my 14 year old and 11 year old ? If so I can get them a state ID, but if I don't need to then I won't do that. Thanks.

Hello. If we leave our passports on the ship I assume we need ID to get back on the ship. My wife, oldest daughter and myself have driver's licenses. Do I need to have some sort of ID for my 14 year old and 11 year old ? If so I can get them a state ID, but if I don't need to then I won't do that. Thanks.

Photo ID's are not normally needed for those under age 16.

While it's a good idea to always carry a photo ID when you get off the ship, not all countries require a photo ID to get back into the port area. Most of these countries would have no idea if your ID is actually a valid government issued ID. Imagine 50 different state IDs and hundreds of countries. I have never once seen a guard at a port check an ID manual!

Checking ID's at the port mainly seemed to be just part of a bureaucratic process and has very little to do with security. I don't remember an age requirement. Most of cruise compasses' say "Don't forget your seapass and photo ID". No age mentioned, or the fact it must be a government issued ID.

The ship itself only requires your seapass.

While it's a good idea to always carry a photo ID when you get off the ship, not all countries require a photo ID to get back into the port area. Most of these countries would have no idea if your ID is actually a valid government issued ID. Imagine 50 different state IDs and hundreds of countries. I have never once seen a guard at a port check an ID manual!

Checking ID's at the port mainly seemed to be just part of a bureaucratic process and has very little to do with security. I don't remember an age requirement. Most of cruise compasses' say "Don't forget your seapass and photo ID". No age mentioned, or the fact it must be a government issued ID.

The ship itself only requires your seapass.

Actually, it is the IMO's ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) Code that requires all countries' port facilities to be secure areas, and to ensure ID is checked for all persons entering the port area. If your kids were to return through the port gate without being with you, there might be a problem, but there is an exemption for passengers under age 16 when accompanied by a parent. How closely the country enforces the rule, and how closely the port guard looks, and how strict they would be about an unaccompanied minor, varies from country to country and port to port.

I don't know about your state but my state's Div of Motor Vehicles a "state issued photo ID" is only a couple of bucks. For that cheap I'd do it for the kids. They'd probably like having their own "ID" :) This way you eliminate the wondering.

Edited by summersigh

I don't know about your state but my state's Div of Motor Vehicles a "state issued photo ID" is only a couple of bucks. For that cheap I'd do it for the kids. They'd probably like having their own "ID" :) This way you eliminate the wondering.

Yep, state of Maine has them for $5, at any DMV. Just need BC and a parent with ID.

Actually, it is the IMO's ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) Code that requires all countries' port facilities to be secure areas, and to ensure ID is checked for all persons entering the port area. If your kids were to return through the port gate without being with you, there might be a problem, but there is an exemption for passengers under age 16 when accompanied by a parent. How closely the country enforces the rule, and how closely the port guard looks, and how strict they would be about an unaccompanied minor, varies from country to country and port to port.

You can't require a country to do anything, I wasn't aware there is a world government. If they signed the treaty that only means they plan to follow the rules. I have been to ports where ID's were not checked at all.

I've been to some ports where there are metal detectors and x-ray, but most ports' the ID check is a joke. Some rent-a-cop with an inflated sense of authority checking your picture and having no idea who issued the ID. Plus they have no idea if your seapass is valid or not.

No...kids don't need ID....and you probably won't be asked to show yours, either. Although, you should have ID on you all the time....no matter where you are!! It's just prudent, in case anything should happen, someone can find out who you are!!!

My 15 yr old did not require any ID for - cayman, roatan, belize and mexico.

I forgot my drivers licence on my last cruise and I got a photo copy of my passport at the service desk on the ship and was able to just use that- barbados, st kitts, st lucia, st thomas & st martin. In fact in st thomas the gate guard just said that's a good idea a photo copy. I knew if there was an issue my DH could go on board and get my passport and bring it to me.

The ID you need to get back on the ship is your sail and sign card, its also the only thing I've ever needed to show to port security as well. As for leaving your passport on the ship that's your decision but I always take ours with us when we leave the ship in case something happens and we miss the ship or need to get home.

Checking ID's at the port mainly seemed to be just part of a bureaucratic process and has very little to do with security.

This is your statement that I was referencing when I spoke about the ISPS. It is about security, just a question of how effective the security is.

You can't require a country to do anything, I wasn't aware there is a world government. If they signed the treaty that only means they plan to follow the rules. I have been to ports where ID's were not checked at all.Yes, if you want to argue semantics, there is no world government, and the UN's IMO cannot force a member state, but membership in the UN requires at least attempting to follow all regulations. And a country does not need to sign the treaty for it to go into force, only a certain number of member countries. However, there are other ways to ensure compliance, such as non-reciprocal arrangements between countries that adhere to the treaties and those that don't (forcing more strict security of incoming cargo or screening of incoming passengers from the countries in non-compliance. Insurance companies that cover the port authorities look for ISM systems, which include ISPS compliance, or the rates go up.

I've been to some ports where there are metal detectors and x-ray, but most ports' the ID check is a joke. Some rent-a-cop with an inflated sense of authority checking your picture and having no idea who issued the ID. Plus they have no idea if your seapass is valid or not.

I agree that many ports do not check ID's as well as others, some not at all. But I am asking whether or not it is worth it to risk going ashore in one of the countries where they may check ID's and not have one?

Said my piece, done here.

Just back from Freedom's eastern itinerary. Both St. Maartin and St. Thomas required photo id's for individuals 18 and older. The security people did look at the photos at both ports.

It is announced prior to arriving at the ports who needs a photo id.