Royal Princess Transantlantic report. The novel :)

gr82cu2

Thank you so much for your excellent review, and especially this information about your mini-suite. I appreciate the tip about the coffee table/extra night stand.

We will be in B-410 for our November cruise on the Regal, which I know has the same layout. We were in B-409 (under the SeaWalk) on the Royal last November. The extended balconies are great and the forward view is spectacular - I loved being able to see people moving around on the Bridge.

Hope you enjoy the remainder of your travels. We will be celebrating DHs retirement on our cruise and are looking forward to the freedom you now have.:)

ROYAL PRINCESS - OUR STATEROOM R410

..... We are located just a little forward of the mid ship elevators on the port side. We are the first cabin forward on the hump, 2 decks below the walkway for the sea view bar. I would book this cabin again in a heartbeat and actually would feel disappointed if I couldn’t get it again. Privacy is not an issue at all. ..... We can see people walking above up there but I don’t think anyone pauses long enough to be looking down here and with this cabin, if they do, they can only see the front portion of the balcony near the rail. The balcony is the 2nd largest of the mini suites (category MA). It is sort of pie shaped with plenty of room to use the foot stools and stretch out. ..... Another advantage is with the deck swinging way out 2 floors above, it shields us somewhat from rain, what little we have had.

..... Also, in the living area, beside the sofa bed was another night table and a large coffee table in front of the couch. The coffee table is a huge obstacle in the room. We moved the extra night table into the closet and swung the coffee table around into the space where the night table had been. It works out much better that way plus it has given us drawer space in the closet. When we want to use the coffee table we just move it back in front of the couch.

..... Happy cruising everyone! I hope I haven’t bored you to death but I wanted to share some of my thoughts and observations. I’ve been helped tremendously by reading the experiences of others here on Cruise Critic.

Quote: "We also saw what is considered an obstructed balcony cabin. The obstruction only comes into play if the extra bed is pulled down out of the ceiling. This is not an issue if you don’t have anyone using that bed. The lesson here is' date=' do your homework concerning obstructed balconies. You could get a great deal and have no obstruction at all."

Do you recall where the good obstructed balcony cabins you saw were and if the beds were flat in the ceiling or protruded when not in use?...sorry I now see someone else asked the same question. With so many CC members having sailed the Royal by now, I would hope they would share their obstructed view cabin experiences with some pictures :)

Thanks.[/quote']

Sorry, I've finally had time to look it up. The cabin was E701. There was no lifeboat in front of the balcony. It was a clear view. There was no 3rd berth protruding. I guess it was up in the ceiling? Somewhere, I've not had time to look for it yet, GweninTX was doing a live trip report. It was her room. If you find her live report you will probably find more information about that cabin.

What are you talking about when you say "soot"????? To me, "soot" means burning ashes. Something that is dangerous. Can you please give more details as to what you mean?????

soot is the already burned (as in past tense) black 'floaty' bits (perhaps not quite a dictionary definition!)that are expelled and land on the deck.

Burned from where???? I don't think there are any raked leaves that are burning on deck is there???? Iam not trying to be funny but soot usually comes from a "burning fire".

Burned from where???? I don't think there are any raked leaves that are burning on deck is there???? Iam not trying to be funny but soot usually comes from a "burning fire".

Soot deposits from the funnel.

Edited by janetz

Seems as though there has been soot or ash problems on passenger ships for a long time.

My husband's grandparents often took the White Star or the Cunard line ships to Europe.

I remember her telling me that the top decks could be affected by the smokestacks.

I recall her saying something about nylon stockings being ruined by the "soot"or "ash".

Maybe this occured while reclining on loungechairs on deck.

Since they travelled in the thirties and early forties,the dress code was quite different for the first

class passengers!

I have taken atleast a minimum of 15 cruises and always gotten a balcony. I have never had a problem with "soot" on my chairs on the balcony. Are you guys serious?????? I think that might be reason enough to have the cruise line give you a nice ship credit.

In your 15+ cruises, have you stayed in an aft facing balcony room on a ship that has a "staggered" stern?

If so, you may have experienced soot. We did on the Norwegian Sun. We also saw soot on the Royal open aft decks. Yes, I'm serious, and no, I didn't request a credit. :D

I have taken atleast a minimum of 15 cruises and always gotten a balcony. I have never had a problem with "soot" on my chairs on the balcony. Are you guys serious?????? I think that might be reason enough to have the cruise line give you a nice ship credit.

Sailing on Sitmar in the mid-1970's soot on the decks was common. When we'd sit out on the deck during the day it would be floating around, and you had to be careful where you sat. In the evening we liked to sit up on a high deck in a quiet area. We would find soot on our clothes when we came back to the cabin.

The problem was taken care of with the modern ships, but it seems like it's a problem in some areas on some days on the Royal.

Chuck, it is ONLY the aft facing balconies on the stern that have had some problems. If your cabin and balcony are not back there you have no worries. And yes, there have been reports of them giving a "nice credit" to those affected. But, it would not have been enough for me! Seriously, they would have had to refund our entire fare and I still would have been disappointed. We love having a usable balcony. On this crossing I even bundled up and sat out there after dark. :)

Edited by gr82cu2

I really enjoyed reading your very thoughtful review! If not a blogger, you should be! You're a gifted writer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a sweet compliment. Thank you!

Oh! I just remembered and wanted to give a shout out to Princess :D

At some point during the cruise we asked Emmanuel (our room steward) if he had been on shore at all during the trip. He said no because he had lost his card.....not sure what card he was talking about but probably his crew i.d. or something. We felt bad for him. He said it was taking a long time to get a replacement. On the last port day, Rotterdam, we ran into him up in the buffet and he had 5 family members on board. Princess had allowed them to come on board so he could see his family! Way to go Princess!!!! Just awesome! Who knew someone from the Philippines would have so much family in Rotterdam? But, we were so happy for him.

Hi Janet!

Your review brought back great memories. I just got home Thursday from Germany. In Oslo we had overcast skies again, which broke into a little sunshine then it was raining again. Had a blast though, running around that very accessible city. Gothenburg - overcast in the beginning...I didn't care because I had my 2 hour massage there :D The skies did clear up for a very nice sail away.

I agree that the crew was so wonderful, friendly and accommodating. The dining room service was fantastic and the food good under the delightful Franco. Alfredo's was fantastic!

The only exception was one night in the IC after 15 days there was a substitute coffee guy who obviously was a fill-in for the wonderful Virgilio and Ameer (and was NOT enjoying the job). He did not want to give me my tea because I didn't have my coffee card in hand. I asked him which one I should go get because I have 4 already from this voyage by switching out my mini-bar set-up! He reluctantly gave me my tea..

I appreciated the Captains updates at noon everyday. The one thing I really missed was the navigational chart and the channel on the TV that showed the ship's progress with current weather conditions.

I loved looking at the 1000's of photographs taken by passengers that lined the hallways. Very nicely done & I wonder if they are doing this for the Regal?

As for my complaint: the deck 17 smoking area aft. It should be divided half smoking, half not (and enforced) as I love the quiet of the aft deck and watching the wake while I read.

So my cabin gave you the hebby-jebbies? LOL! :eek:

Edited by catsforkids

Oh! I just remembered and wanted to give a shout out to Princess :D

At some point during the cruise we asked Emmanuel (our room steward) if he had been on shore at all during the trip. He said no because he had lost his card.....not sure what card he was talking about but probably his crew i.d. or something. We felt bad for him. He said it was taking a long time to get a replacement. On the last port day, Rotterdam, we ran into him up in the buffet and he had 5 family members on board. Princess had allowed them to come on board so he could see his family! Way to go Princess!!!! Just awesome! Who knew someone from the Philippines would have so much family in Rotterdam? But, we were so happy for him.

Great review!

We were on the last Caribbean sailing of the Royal before your TA and loved it!

In speaking with one of the bartenders, he told us that after 5 or 10 yrs (can't remember which now), crew members can have their family members aboard for a cruise for free. They just have to pay airfare.

We thought that was a great perk as well!! Those folks work so hard and spend so much time away from their families.

Hi Janet!

Your review brought back great memories. I just got home Thursday from Germany. In Oslo we had overcast skies again, which broke into a little sunshine then it was raining again. Had a blast though, running around that very accessible city. Gothenburg - overcast in the beginning...I didn't care because I had my 2 hour massage there :D The skies did clear up for a very nice sail away.

I agree that the crew was so wonderful, friendly and accommodating. The dining room service was fantastic and the food good under the delightful Franco. Alfredo's was fantastic!

The only exception was one night in the IC after 15 days there was a substitute coffee guy who obviously was a fill-in for the wonderful Virgilio and Ameer (and was NOT enjoying the job). He did not want to give me my tea because I didn't have my coffee card in hand. I asked him which one I should go get because I have 4 already from this voyage by switching out my mini-bar set-up! He reluctantly gave me my tea..

I appreciated the Captains updates at noon everyday. The one thing I really missed was the navigational chart and the channel on the TV that showed the ship's progress with current weather conditions.

I loved looking at the 1000's of photographs taken by passengers that lined the hallways. Very nicely done & I wonder if they are doing this for the Regal?

As for my complaint: the deck 17 smoking area aft. It should be divided half smoking, half not (and enforced) as I love the quiet of the aft deck and watching the wake while I read.

So my cabin gave you the hebby-jebbies? LOL! :eek:

Haha! No hebby-jebbies! I just could never do it but am very happy for those that do and enjoy it.

We missed the navigational chart and progress too. Whenever I look for the progress on a ship's TV I'm reminded of a cruise where we had been around the Caribbean and Bermuda was our last stop. After we left Bermuda and for the rest of the cruise the progress went backwards, LOL. I think we were in the Bermuda triangle.

The problem with dividing the deck in half for smoking and non would be there would be no way to keep the smoke from drifting from one area to the other. Did you ever go up on the Horizon Terrace to relax and read? It was super nice up there.

Glad you got home ok and it was great to meet you.

Haha! No hebby-jebbies! I just could never do it but am very happy for those that do and enjoy it.

We missed the navigational chart and progress too. Whenever I look for the progress on a ship's TV I'm reminded of a cruise where we had been around the Caribbean and Bermuda was our last stop. After we left Bermuda and for the rest of the cruise the progress went backwards, LOL. I think we were in the Bermuda triangle.

The problem with dividing the deck in half for smoking and non would be there would be no way to keep the smoke from drifting from one area to the other. Did you ever go up on the Horizon Terrace to relax and read? It was super nice up there.

Glad you got home ok and it was great to meet you.

It was great to meet you too!

I actually never went back up there after our M & G until I had lunch after my massage in Gothenburg! I had completely forgotten about it! I will remember that for nest time...:)

I am booked on the Royal's April 2015 TA crossing from FL to Southampton. What was your weather like? Do I need shorts and swimsuits or rain gear? Thanks in advance.

Both. First couple of days were sunny and bathing suits were out. Then we docked in the Azores and the rain started and kept going until Goteburg. So I would advise you to bring a waterproof jacket, umbrella, waterproof shoes and shorts, bathing suit, light jacket, etc. Be prepared for all types of weather. St. Petersburg was HOT and humid both days. You just never know. Have a good trip!