How far has Celebrity fallen??

AliRob

I must agree. I was on the same TA with you and my experiences indicated Celebrity has declined in quality from what it was even last year. All your points (and more indicated in my review) are valid.

We were also on the same sailing, however, we must have been on the great side of the ship.

We were also on the same sailing, however, we must have been on the great side of the ship.

Rich, I had that exact same reaction when I read the negative reviews from our February Century b2b. We had 11 of the best days we've ever spent, at sea. Yes, there were some problems, but nothing earth-shattering. But, when I came home, I was shocked to learn from the reviews here, that I just spent all that time on a run-down rust bucket, with a surly staff and snobby ships' officers! :eek:

Never mind "Were we on the same ship?" -- I was starting to wonder if those folks were on the same planet! ;)

Edited by wwcruisers

So here we are, with 50+ comments and 2 members that had a poor sailing, and 2 members that felt any issues were not earth shattering.

So this entire thread proves the point that we all can see things in the same place, yet have an experience and view that is very different.

We started cruising many years ago -- were so impressed that we starting booking a cruise every year, then twice a year and now even more. Yes, we are addicted to cruising.

Our first Celebrity cruise was booked back in 2000 for my 40th birthday. It was amazing. We've since earned Elite status on Celebrity as well as on Princess -- and can honestly say, that with the exception of 2 Princess cruises, we've always felt spoiled and felt as though the value and service have both been outstanding.

I do see cutbacks but also look back on what we paid for our first cruises many, many years ago and they really haven't gone up that much in price since then.

On Celebrity, the cutback I miss most is the Grand Buffet. I am not a huge buffet person but always enjoyed that day on the cruise. Got home from my last cruise and wondered where we were when that was happening. I read on cruise critic later it had been canceled -- that was rather disappointing. But, something I feel would make or break my cruise -- NO. I found food elsewhere! :D

We started cruising many years ago -- were so impressed that we starting booking a cruise every year, then twice a year and now even more. Yes, we are addicted to cruising.

Our first Celebrity cruise was booked back in 2000 for my 40th birthday. It was amazing. We've since earned Elite status on Celebrity as well as on Princess -- and can honestly say, that with the exception of 2 Princess cruises, we've always felt spoiled and felt as though the value and service have both been outstanding.

I do see cutbacks but also look back on what we paid for our first cruises many, many years ago and they really haven't gone up that much in price since then.

On Celebrity, the cutback I miss most is the Grand Buffet. I am not a huge buffet person but always enjoyed that day on the cruise. Got home from my last cruise and wondered where we were when that was happening. I read on cruise critic later it had been canceled -- that was rather disappointing. But, something I feel would make or break my cruise -- NO. I found food elsewhere! :D

What a great attitude, you obviously cruise because you love the cruise experience, not just because of the Grand Buffet or trivia or free Zumba classes, like some others do.

Edited by NLH Arizona

And I was on the same cruise, and the identical one last year and the year before that, and noticed none of those items.

The bar servers seemed more prevalent than ever before, to the point of being overstaffed especially at the pool. Our large nightly group at the Sunset Bar had more servers than we could possibly keep busy.

Our dinner was served promptly and efficiently ever evening, allowing us adequate time for chatting between courses but never to the point of wondering, "where is the food?"

The ventriloquist and juggler were hilarious, although I will agree that the one production show we attended was sub-par and we walked out when the green munchkins appeared.

The only issue with loud music was the cruise director screaming into the mic during the poolside volleyball game--we just relocated to a quieter area. Other than that, never had any issues with overloud music.

Lest you think that I am a recent cruiser and just didn't notice the 'cutbacks', I have been cruising since 1982 and have cruised every major line including Carnival and Crystal and everything in between. I am not trying to contradict you, I am just saying that we honestly had none of the issues that you both seem to have experienced. We had a fabulous cruise with a minimum of hassles, issues and complaints. I just asked DH if he had to complain about one thing on our cruise, what would it be? His response? "Too fun"!!! I rest my case!

Did you go to the Captain's Club party?? We did and there was no entertainment or food stations. We searched high and low and couldn't find the sting quartet or the Accapella singers, where were they?? We had these on our previous 13 cruises with Celebrity and they're gone. Food and entertainment is subjective, the two above points aren't. Either they were there or not.

It was a nice cruise but it didn't live up to our expectations based on past cruises with them.

Once you tell me where to find the string quartet and accapella group, I'll go see them right after i enjoy the food stations and entertainment at the Captain's Club party. We are on the Equinox in April so let me know by then.

Oh yea, too fun is subjective too.

Did you go to the Captain's Club party?? We did and there was no entertainment or food stations. We searched high and low and couldn't find the sting quartet or the Accapella singers, where were they?? We had these on our previous 13 cruises with Celebrity and they're gone. Food and entertainment is subjective, the two above points aren't. Either they were there or not.

It was a nice cruise but it didn't live up to our expectations based on past cruises with them.

Once you tell me where to find the string quartet and accapella group, I'll go see them right after i enjoy the food stations and entertainment at the Captain's Club party. We are on the Equinox in April so let me know by then.

Oh yea, too fun is subjective too.

We did not go to the Captain's Club party, that holds no interest for us at all. As far as missing food stations, I have never found there to be a lack of food onboard. We had more than enough opportunities to socialize and didn't feel like we needed another large group function. We did go to the senior officers cocktail party briefly between the show and dinner; there were free adult beverages and many trays of hors d'oeuvres being passed.

I guess if my enjoyment of my cruise revolved around the string or a cappella groups, I might have noticed that they were missing. I did enjoy hearing the house band play on many occasions either by the pool or in the atrium pre-dinner.

I'm sorry that the missing bands and unsatisfying Captain's Club party left you with a bad overall impression of the cruise. We left with just the opposite impression but maybe that's because different things are important to us, like a sparkling clean beautiful ship, outstanding service, and great friends to spend time with.

We did not go to the Captain's Club party, that holds no interest for us at all. As far as missing food stations, I have never found there to be a lack of food onboard. We had more than enough opportunities to socialize and didn't feel like we needed another large group function. We did go to the senior officers cocktail party briefly between the show and dinner; there were free adult beverages and many trays of hors d'oeuvres being passed.

I guess if my enjoyment of my cruise revolved around the string or a cappella groups, I might have noticed that they were missing. I did enjoy hearing the house band play on many occasions either by the pool or in the atrium pre-dinner.

I'm sorry that the missing bands and unsatisfying Captain's Club party left you with a bad overall impression of the cruise. We left with just the opposite impression but maybe that's because different things are important to us, like a sparkling clean beautiful ship, outstanding service, and great friends to spend time with.

Great attitude. :)

Cathy , you forgot to mention the lack of potato chips at 5 o'clock for happy hour, at times it was hard to get, but they did bring us a huge bowl a couple of times :p

Captain club , senior office parties , waste of time, the offices are out and about all the time

It is the friends you meet on a cruise that make or break it

The Silhouette April TA was a great cruise because of our friends :D

It is the friends you meet on a cruise that make or break it

ESPECIALLY the ones that help each other with complicated math! ;) :D :cool:

Edited by teecee60

Yup, the withdrawals are starting to set in. I have to make my own bed, wash my own dishes after cooking my own food, and I have to WORK instead of lounging at the Sunset Bar with Jairo bringing me cocktails!!

Not to mention missing my friends. . . :(:(

I think the poster is being either melodramatic or is trying to push buttons. I was on the Millie last October and had a wonderful cruise. It was not perfect, but neither am I! Crew, meals, and shore excursions on a Panama Canal 15 day cruise were great. Entertainment was mixed. But, we loved our cruise.

Hi! We are diamond on RC and have booked our first Celebrity cruise on the Millennium September 28th in Asia. We have been following the reviews and are very concerned about the negativity. However I wanted to add a new dimension to the discussion. In 2013 we were on the Vision of the Seas when they had a noro outbreak. Fortunately we didn't get sick, but the entire atmosphere of the ship was very different. In contrast, we had been on that same ship before and were surprised at the change. Every staff member was working constantly serving food, disinfecting surfaces and trying to be cheerful when they were working double shifts. They must have been exhausted! Some staff were sick as well so the numbers of workers was down. It was scary! One of our table mates was fine when she came to dinner. About 15 minutes later she suddenly became violently ill, dropping to the floor and going into convulsions a few feet from our table! In an atmosphere like that it is very hard for people to remain cheerful and operate at their best! So, while I don't doubt that the ship needs updating and changes, I think some of the problems may have been due to the staff being overworked due to the virus.

At least I HOPE we will have a good cruise in Asia in September!

Edited by BonnieJB

Hi! We are diamond on RC and have booked our first Celebrity cruise on the Millennium September 28th in Asia. We have been following the reviews and are very concerned about the negativity. However I wanted to add a new dimension to the discussion. In 2013 we were on the Vision of the Seas when they had a noro outbreak. Fortunately we didn't get sick, but the entire atmosphere of the ship was very different. In contrast, we had been on that same ship before and were surprised at the change. Every staff member was working constantly serving food, disinfecting surfaces and trying to be cheerful when they were working double shifts. They must have been exhausted! Some staff were sick as well so the numbers of workers was down. It was scary! One of our table mates was fine when she came to dinner. About 15 minutes later she suddenly became violently ill, dropping to the floor and going into convulsions a few feet from our table! In an atmosphere like that it is very hard for people to remain cheerful and operate at their best! So, while I don't doubt that the ship needs updating and changes, I think some of the problems may have been due to the staff being overworked due to the virus.

At least I HOPE we will have a good cruise in Asia in September!

That's exactly what I think. Plus the noro virus has been onboard for a couple of months so they've had no let up from the extra work.

That's exactly what I think. Plus the noro virus has been onboard for a couple of months so they've had no let up from the extra work.

Exactly, they must be exhausted! I can't imagine. And trying to appear cheerful 24/7!

I hate to say it but I certainly hope the Bosses back at Celebrity are taking notes! Celebrity has never in the last 13 years had to take this kind of negativity as in the last lets say 6 months. Yes there have always been people who have complained about this or that but never as bad or as consistant as what we are hearing and seeing lately! Even people often called cheerleeders here are starting to get noisy. That is not something Celebrity should ignore and it is certainly not something they should be proud of either! While I am at neither should they be rewarded (with things like bonuses) for this sort of result either!

Short Term this may look good in the books but long term it could destory them.

I hate to say it but I certainly hope the Bosses back at Celebrity are taking notes! Celebrity has never in the last 13 years had to take this kind of negativity as in the last lets say 6 months. Yes there have always been people who have complained about this or that but never as bad or as consistant as what we are hearing and seeing lately! Even people often called cheerleeders here are starting to get noisy. That is not something Celebrity should ignore and it is certainly not something they should be proud of either! While I am at neither should they be rewarded (with things like bonuses) for this sort of result either!

Short Term this may look good in the books but long term it could destory them.

Hmmmm! Wonder what happend 6 months ago, to make many of those always satisified customers, now so vocal about being unhappy.

I took my first Celebrity cruise, on the Constellation, in April. After reading the many comments I was slightly concerned. I say slightly because I was overly excited to be cruising again. We were upgraded to Aqua and can I just say WOW!! BLU!! I'm sure there were problems, but I wasn't looking. Didn't enjoy the entertainment so stopped going. Spent the evening enjoying the sea and stars. THAT is why I cruise.

Here is an example that I myself experienced in Jan on the Millenium. Remember when there was enough crew that you could have been in danger of getting cleaned and polished while sitting in a lounge for longer than 30 min.

Now they don't even have the Crew to do the basics like keep the restrooms in order at high Volume time like dinner. On this 14 day cruise I had to call the front desk on virtually everyone night because after Late seating the ladies rest rooms outside the main dinningroom was in such a disasterous state! To compound that lots of things like flush plates or door handles, etc. were either missing, damaged or dirty in such a way that made clearing these items problematic. It is hardly suprising to me they had a Noro outbreak shortly afterwards!

Hmmmm! Wonder what happend 6 months ago, to make many of those always satisified customers, now so vocal about being unhappy.

New management taking effect - they call it cost cutting but i say it is the skimmping and corner cutting that is having an effect not only on the crew but also on the Overall State of the hardware. This is not the kind of thing we are used to seeing on Celebrity.