What's Located Below the A-Deck on the Veendam?

GradUT

I'm looking at some cabins on the Veendam's Canada cruise this summer. There are a lot of available cabins (Category D) on the A Deck which appears to be the lowest deck with any passenger cabins. Can you tell me what lies below this deck? If it's engines or something noisy, I certainly don't want to book there.

Thanks for any insight on this.

I'm not sure what is below, but there are more crew areas than just the engines. I would expect them to be lower. We didn't notice any noise from below. We were at the aft end (the very last cabin) and did have noise from the mooring area adjacent to our cabin whenever we docked (often very early in the morning). With all the lines being cast ashore and pulled tight it sounded like chains banging and clanging for the whole docking process. You are mid-ship so you will be spared this disruption.

B-deck. Followed by C-deck. Ok, sorry for being cute, but it's true! On Veendam, A-deck is also known as Deck 4, with the lower numbers at the bottom (like a building). B-deck contains working areas and crew cabins, mess, and recreation areas. Although I've only stayed on Main Deck on the Veendam and Maasdam, I've never heard anyone complain of noise. Anyone forward on Main or A decks will hear thruster noise on port arrivals early in the morning, and if the ship is anchoring, the chain running out. Other than that, will have to let those who have stayed on A-deck on the S-class ships speak to their experiences.

We had a mid-ship, outside cabin on the lowest passenger deck for our Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. A friend who had only stayed in the Deluxe/Neptune or PH suites came by our cabin one day. She was shocked at how quiet it was there. We didn't understand why she was shocked. Maybe, like the OP, she thought there would be engine noise.

Now, I will say that when walking aft, by the area where smokestack would be (large white area that goes all the way up on the deck plans), we could hear some hum from the engines. That is more noticeable on the lower decks. Not what I'd consider noisy, but a noticeable hum.

B-deck. Followed by C-deck. Ok, sorry for being cute, but it's true! On Veendam, A-deck is also known as Deck 4, with the lower numbers at the bottom (like a building). B-deck contains working areas and crew cabins, mess, and recreation areas. Although I've only stayed on Main Deck on the Veendam and Maasdam, I've never heard anyone complain of noise. Anyone forward on Main or A decks will hear thruster noise on port arrivals early in the morning, and if the ship is anchoring, the chain running out. Other than that, will have to let those who have stayed on A-deck on the S-class ships speak to their experiences.

Given that A-deck is deck 4, decks 2 & 3 will generally be crew quarters and probably provisions areas. Decks 0 & 1 will be the engine rooms, laundry, store rooms, and more crew quarters.

One word of caution about the A Deck cabins, Starboard side, near the Forward Stairwell: There is a stairway that goes down to B Deck at that location which is where the tender platform foyer is located. I have found in a warm/hot, humid environment, once the shell doors are open in order to use the tender gangway, lots of very warm, humid air comes up that stairwell. The cabins in the area of that forward stairwell/elevator foyer might expect some rather uncomfortable humidity and temperatures when tendering operations are going on.

The cabins on the Port side of that area are not so affected.

One word of caution about the A Deck cabins, Starboard side, near the Forward Stairwell: There is a stairway that goes down to B Deck at that location which is where the tender platform foyer is located. I have found in a warm/hot, humid environment, once the shell doors are open in order to use the tender gangway, lots of very warm, humid air comes up that stairwell. The cabins in the area of that forward stairwell/elevator foyer might expect some rather uncomfortable humidity and temperatures when tendering operations are going on.

The cabins on the Port side of that area are not so affected.

That is a great tip to share.

Something most of us would not have thought of.

Thank you. :)

I'm looking at some cabins on the Veendam's Canada cruise this summer. There are a lot of available cabins (Category D) on the A Deck which appears to be the lowest deck with any passenger cabins. Can you tell me what lies below this deck? If it's engines or something noisy, I certainly don't want to book there.

Thanks for any insight on this.

I stayed on the A deck, port side, in the back third of the ship and didn't notice it being noisy. In fact, it was a very nice cabin and very quiet. I think it was #810.