Wines by the glass menus?

neptuno

According to recent posts there have been some major cutbacks in the all inclusive beverage offerings. Thank you 'Kevinyork' for posting the Classic lists you collected on the Eclipse. Does anyone have other current wine menus and by the glass pricing? Thanks.

Adding to this post to move it back onto the first page.

Totally confused about the choices of wine on both the Classic and Premium packages.

According to Celebrity UK no significant changes have been made to the lists published on their site.

Host Andy.

Can you help us out.

Yes, but the question remains: HAS CELEBRITY INCREASED THE ALLOWED LIMITS PER GLASS?

IF it remains $8 for a glass of wine, none of the wines on cruise nuts lists are included. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

IF Celebrity increased the limit to $9, it's roughly the SAME choices as before. This is what I believe they have already done, but made an incredibly stupid blunder in implementation.

Hopefully, I'm correct and they will publicly clarify.

Yes, but the question remains: HAS CELEBRITY INCREASED THE ALLOWED LIMITS PER GLASS?

IF it remains $8 for a glass of wine, none of the wines on cruise nuts lists are included. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Not actually true. I counted 6 wines (not including non-alcoholic) priced at or below $8.

It's clear that no one knows the current policy including celebrity....and Celebrity HQ is apparently making sure that no further information comes out from them on the topic. The UK and the US site differ, the information from the ships differ, the written responses from celebrity have ranged from "nothing's changed" to we're glad to give you the minimum prices of drink categories on our ships but no further information. We have a UK response that removes cutty sark scotch from the classic package and we have a posting of the classic drink package from the eclipse that has cutty sark as the only scotch on the package.

There is, essentially mass confusion and misinformation....and no Information for Celebrity HQ. Celebrity Cruise, the celebrity rep here has carefully avoided making any comment on the topic.

Net...it's a mess

I know that the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton has had that "inclusive price plus gratuity" pricing at least for a year because we had it when we did our Baltic cruise. Is that the only ship? Does the Connie do the same when sailing out of Amsterdam? That would make one price list for the Eclipse all summer and one price list for everyone else lol

I know that the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton has had that "inclusive price plus gratuity" pricing at least for a year because we had it when we did our Baltic cruise. Is that the only ship? Does the Connie do the same when sailing out of Amsterdam? That would make one price list for the Eclipse all summer and one price list for everyone else lol

I think it changed 2011-2012 I know we were planning on going on the RCI IOTS and there was a big discussion then about inclusive pricing

British cruisers were complaining that they were not being made aware of the gratuity so wanted it removed. RCI response was to include it in the price of the drink and the complaints stopped

It is not a legal requirement in the UK and EU to include the gratuity in the price but it is a legal requirement to make the customer aware that there is a gratuity and whether they are prepared to pay it.

Edited by nomad098

Last week on Eclipse from Southampton, we were told upto $10 for classic and $15 for premium( for wine )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. There is new info coming in from an Alaska cruise as well.

Adding to this post to move it back onto the first page.

Totally confused about the choices of wine on both the Classic and Premium packages.

According to Celebrity UK no significant changes have been made to the lists published on their site.

Host Andy.

Can you help us out.

Are there changes to The allowance for the Premium Package -- that is putting previously included wines etc above the $ limit now that were included previously?

Last week on Eclipse from Southampton, we were told upto $10 for classic and $15 for premium( for wine )

Thanks for the update. There is new info coming in from an Alaska cruise as well.

Cruises from Southampton include gratuity in the price so $10 - 15% = $8.50ish and $15 - 15% = $13.

So not really any changes in limit.

Cruises from Southampton include gratuity in the price so $10 - 15% = $8.50ish and $15 - 15% = $13.

So not really any changes in limit.

Yes, understood, thank you. We now know that Classic(US) by the glass are raised to $9 before gratuity. (btw, to back out gratuity divide by 1.15(115%), so $10/1.15=$8.70, almost the $9 allowed in the US. We just need to see some more current menus now. One from the Solstice was posted.

It is not a legal requirement in the UK and EU to include the gratuity in the price but it is a legal requirement to make the customer aware that there is a gratuity and whether they are prepared to pay it.

I thought the legal requirement was to post the "all in price" and since the cruise automatically includes 15% on all F&B purchases, this is whey they went to the included-in-price displays, not so much that they weren't making people aware they had to pay it.

I now standard tipping is a cultural difference in Europe versus the USA as well.

Someone had posted some Consumer Protections website that had several complaints and resolutions, and it seemed the majority were related to things like advertising a cabins for GBP 600 but then when clicked through, taxes and charges were added, making it GBP 700 so they had to display the all-in price which included taxes and fees.

I had figured this same reason is why they change out the drinks prices in the UK sailings, otherwise why go to the bother...?

Which leads to a larger question - let's think of non-UK based sailings, where someone bought a package as a UK resident thru the UK website. They are after all traveling under a contract that us UK based with UK protections.

When they board, how is that they are not allowed to claim consumer protections violations since the drinks prices are displayed without the automatically added in gratuity...?

I'm asking a serious question, and would hope to have a serious answer with facts and not opinions and a citation of source with any reply. It does make me wonder how far-reaching the protections are, and how they are limited in their use.

Same question about a ship not stationed out of the UK but that makes a port call or 2 in the UK along the way....I've read (but have no personal experience) that some countries require VAT added in if a ship is within so many miles of its shores (if I recall it was Spain or some mediterranean destination(s)?)and there are periods where VAT is added and others it is not.

Edited by cle-guy

I thought the legal requirement was to post the "all in price" and since the cruise automatically includes 15% on all F&B purchases, this is whey they went to the included-in-price displays, not so much that they weren't making people aware they had to pay it.

I now standard tipping is a cultural difference in Europe versus the USA as well.

Someone had posted some Consumer Protections website that had several complaints and resolutions, and it seemed the majority were related to things like advertising a cabins for GBP 600 but then when clicked through, taxes and charges were added, making it GBP 700 so they had to display the all-in price which included taxes and fees.

I had figured this same reason is why they change out the drinks prices in the UK sailings, otherwise why go to the bother...?

Which leads to a larger question - let's think of non-UK based sailings, where someone bought a package as a UK resident thru the UK website. They are after all traveling under a contract that us UK based with UK protections.

When they board, how is that they are not allowed to claim consumer protections violations since the drinks prices are displayed without the automatically added in gratuity...?

I'm asking a serious question, and would hope to have a serious answer with facts and not opinions and a citation of source with any reply. It does make me wonder how far-reaching the protections are, and how they are limited in their use.

Same question about a ship not stationed out of the UK but that makes a port call or 2 in the UK along the way....I've read (but have no personal experience) that some countries require VAT added in if a ship is within so many miles of its shores (if I recall it was Spain or some mediterranean destination(s)?)and there are periods where VAT is added and others it is not.

Hi

It is not a legal requirement but is part of the code of best practice here's some information http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file52948.pdf

A gratuity is a discretionary payment unless it forms part of a contract in which case it has to be made clear before purchase that this forms part of the contract, I remember when I joined this site in 2011 there was a lot of discussion on the RCI pages as they were introducing an inclusive pricing for drinks as people were claiming that RCI were not making the bar tip clear as being a mandatory tip, I knew is was mandatory because I found out on here:D

The daily gratuity is not mandatory so a customer can choose whether to pay or not except for Costa cruises where I believe they use Italian legislation to make the gratuity mandatory

There is a legal requirement for Taxes and fees to be part of the offer price

As for your question about UK bookings travelling outside the UK/EU as long as the cruiseline makes it clear that their bar bill includes the mandatory tip the cruiseline and TA's are covered

It's hard to citation the relevant laws as their are so many and they overlap, it's not just UK laws and regulations it is also EU laws and directives But here's a few

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/102/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:334:0001:0016:EN:PDF

Many companies fall foul of the laws and regulations because they are so complex and open to interpretation in some cases

EU member states are allowed to charge VAT on cruise departing from and calling in to only EU member states

Or where a cruise starts from/ends or calls at a non EU member state for the portion that takes place in their territorial waters

It is at the discretion of member states as to whether to implement their local Vat regulations the two which come up most often are Spain and Italy

The regulatory bodies break down the law into manageable sections for us dummies on their websites

Damon

Hi

[sNIP]

The regulatory bodies break down the law into manageable sections for us dummies on their websites

Damon

THANK YOU DAMON! :D I appreciate the well-thjought facially data for my ongoing learning. I think you also made it clear as to the variances and nuances of each type of cruise relative to stops and porting in these areas and relation to VAT and gratuities.

I do really appreciate the info and links. Yes indeed it is quite complex....!

Does anyone have the list of wines by the glass available for the Premium Beverage Package please . I am assuming the $ limit has been raised to $15 now so wines like Conundrum which increased to $14.50 should still be included ? Sadly I guess Grgich still remains outside the limit , making the Chardonnay selection dismal still . It really has been a very mediocre & limited selection for a premium package , so I guess it will remain so.

Does anyone have the list of wines by the glass available for the Premium Beverage Package please . I am assuming the $ limit has been raised to $15 now so wines like Conundrum which increased to $14.50 should still be included ? Sadly I guess Grgich still remains outside the limit , making the Chardonnay selection dismal still . It really has been a very mediocre & limited selection for a premium package , so I guess it will remain so.

I think the $15 included gratuity and the $14.50 for the Conundrum was from a list that did not include gratuity!

So outside of the premium package. :(

I'm not positive but that's my memory of this confusing issue. :(

HEY, cle-guy Curt and other dudes, this post is about wines by the glass.

Sorry

here is the latest wine list for the classic package posted today on the Celebrity UK site

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/world-of-extras.aspx

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/images/Classic%20Package%20Inclusions%20-%20Seasonal%20Pricing%202014_tcm20-58906.pdf

I just returned from a cruise aboard Infinity out of Harwich. I did not have a beverage package and found the prices of wine and all alcohol to be outrageous. We spoke to people who had stayed on from the previous TA sailing and noticed the change in prices with our sailing. They asked and were told that the prices now included the gratuity since UK passengers would not approve of the additional gratuity. Apparently the new pricing was much higher than an additional 15% tip would be.

I don't think that I saw a glass for under $11 and it was a very cheap and not great wine. These were the wines used for the Elite drink vouchers we were given as well.

Here are the MDR wine by the glass prices last week on Eclipse. These include the 15% tip and the cut off for the packages is $10.50 max for Classic and $15 max for premium. Sorry the pics are a bit poor. eza3uva2.jpgava5atyz.jpgusavapa7.jpgru2yny7u.jpgave9u4uz.jpg