If you think Disney is too expensive...

amyh13

Thread was dying, and suddenly alive again.

Anyway... Affording DCL, WDW. You know the price and either pay it, or you go elsewhere. It's a matter of priorities.

We're lower-middle class. Drive older, paid-for, car. Live in older home. Don't go out to eat very often. Buy stuff we 'need', not stuff we 'want', etc..

Frivolous expense - Vacations. Cruises. At least once a year.

It means you stereotype people based on perceived income level and where they shop, which I find appalling, and you probably stereotype people based on other things too.

Did you even read what I wrote? Income level has nothing to do with it. But I have seen these things and I'm not going to lie and say I haven't so that I don't step on your toes. And BTW, you know nothing about me, so don't assume.

A Walmart just opened up in our small town. We're actually two "sister" towns, right next to eachother, north of Phoenix, north of Scottsdale.

The cars in our Walmart parking lot are BMW's, Jags, Lexus, Cadillac, Audi.....and those are just the employees!! :D

Seriously.....there are people who live up here who are pretty close to being the same net worth level as Bill Gates, and yet they shop at Walmart.

Ever hear of Bob Parsons? Look him up.

Solo Cup Company?

Zildjian Cymbals?

Let's trade. Our's is the exact opposite. I swear when I drive by, 7 out of 10 times at least 2 police cars are there. I have also noticed less and less cars parked there when the cars used to overflow.

It doesn't matter what race you are. There are racists in every color of the rainbow.

I agree with you about not liking to hear the "F bomb".....can't even go to a movie any more because the writers think everyone talks like that.

But grouping people who use foul language as all being (or mostly) shoppers at Walmart, or non-Disney people IS racist. Prejudiced, at the least.

Walmart was just an example of one and I never said it was the only place in the world that had foul mouth people. When did I once say anything about non-Disney people. Show me.

Let's trade. Our's is the exact opposite. I swear when I drive by, 7 out of 10 times at least 2 police cars are there. I have also noticed less and less cars parked there when the cars used to overflow.

I know that there are some like that, so I understand what you were saying. But it's wrong to lump them all together. Wrong to lump people all together, too.

It's funny....in the early days of Disneyland, they had a dress code. It was specifically put in place to keep the "hippie" types out. Kind of sad, really....didn't the hippies deserve to have fun, too?

We've come a long way toward equal rights, so using a phrase like "keeping out the riff raff" just sets us back.

I hardley think Disney is ripping people off. You know the prices and the choice to go or not to go is yours. I gladly pay their prices because to me they are worth it. Did you ever think that if Disney were cheap, what amount of riff raff you would have and then no one would want to go anymore. If people feel disney is too expensive, then maybe they should stick with Universal, Bush Gardens and Carnival Cruise lines.

First of all, I never said people who go to Universal, Bush Gardens are riff raff. I said if people think Disney is to expensive then they stick to them. What I meant by riff raff at Disney, is that when something it too cheap, and this can be anywhere, it does attract people you would not want to vacation with. Maybe I didn't word it properly.

As far a being arrogant, I believe that describes you MizDaisy. Constantly bashing and going on about how well off you are financially. I have read more than one post of you going on about how much money you have had your entire life. Who cares, and you are not the only one. The difference is, others don't brag about it.

What you said here is that people who can't afford to go to Disney or on Disney Cruise Line are riff raff. In other words, if they lowered their prices, so that "riff raff" could afford to go, then there would be people at Disney who are undesirable.

You may be trying to say that is NOT what you said, but it is.

What you said here is that people who can't afford to go to Disney or on Disney Cruise Line are riff raff. In other words, if they lowered their prices, so that "riff raff" could afford to go, then there would be people at Disney who are undesirable.

You may be trying to say that is NOT what you said, but it is.

I suggest you read it again. I never said people who can't afford Disney, those are your words not mine. I said "if people think it's too expensive" they should go elsewhere. You can twist my words all you want, and it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Edited by Irene7

I know that there are some like that, so I understand what you were saying. But it's wrong to lump them all together. Wrong to lump people all together, too.

It's funny....in the early days of Disneyland, they had a dress code. It was specifically put in place to keep the "hippie" types out. Kind of sad, really....didn't the hippies deserve to have fun, too?

We've come a long way toward equal rights, so using a phrase like "keeping out the riff raff" just sets us back.

The thing is, I wasn't trying to lump people together or at least that was not my intention. I was strictly talking about the people that are that way. It can ruin a vacation or at the least put a damper on it.

If people feel disney is too expensive, then maybe they should stick with Universal, Bush Gardens and Carnival Cruise lines.

I probably shouldn't post only because this is a ridiculous topic but I will anyway. I feel Disney is too expensive BUT we still go when we can. We have a Disney cruise booked as a matter of fact. We also still go to Universal, Bush Gardens, and been on numerous Carnival cruises - most recently 2 weeks ago and never once had a bad cruise with them.

We are military and we make decent money between the both of us but I guess since we feel Disney is too expensive we should just stick with the above mentioned with the other "riff raff". :rolleyes:

[sNIP] What I meant by riff raff at Disney, is that when something it too cheap, and this can be anywhere, it does attract people you would not want to vacation with. Maybe I didn't word it properly. [sNIP]

This does imply that you are saying by Disney keeping the prices higher than low income people/families may be able to afford, they are keeping the undesirable people away though?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I know this is kind of off topic, but I was thinking about Walmart. There are some neighborhoods that would be considered "bad" and some Walmarts are in those neighborhoods.

I don't reject going to those Walmarts, or neighborhoods, because I don't care to be around "those type of people"......I don't go because it could be a safety issue. I prefer to try to keep myself SAFE.

As far as any connection to cruising....there isn't any. I've never felt "unsafe" on any cruise I've been on.

So to me, if someone compares Walmart to Carnival, they are comparing the type of people who go there. And it's wrong.

There is a mixture of the "type" of people who cruise on Disney, just as much as there is on any other line. And THAT'S what causes me to get so worked up about this topic......when other people imply that people who can afford to cruise on Disney are somehow better than everyone else. Just not true.

And if you think you can cruise on Disney and not hear some swear words, including the "F bomb"...then you're kidding yourself. I've even heard parents swearing at their children.:(

I probably shouldn't post only because this is a ridiculous topic but I will anyway. I feel Disney is too expensive BUT we still go when we can. We have a Disney cruise booked as a matter of fact. We also still go to Universal, Bush Gardens, and been on numerous Carnival cruises - most recently 2 weeks ago and never once had a bad cruise with them.

We are military and we make decent money between the both of us but I guess since we feel Disney is too expensive we should just stick with the above mentioned with the other "riff raff". :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, all I meant was that if people think Disney is to expensive and a rip off then they should go elsewhere. Going to Universal, etc. are not places of riff raff and that's not how I meant it to come out, but obviously some have taken that way. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

This does imply that you are saying by Disney keeping the prices higher than low income people/families may be able to afford, they are keeping the undesirable people away though?

ex techie

Ex techie, I know now that is how it sounds, but it wasn't my intention. We'll you have to admit one thing, I got this thread going.:)

[sNIP] There is a mixture of the "type" of people who cruise on Disney, just as much as there is on any other line. And THAT'S what causes me to get so worked up about this topic......when other people imply that people who can afford to cruise on Disney are somehow better than everyone else. Just not true.

And if you think you can cruise on Disney and not hear some swear words, including the "F bomb"...then you're kidding yourself. I've even heard parents swearing at their children.:(

Couldn't agree more, and some states are worse than others for dropping the F bomb, being aggressive, being uncouth.

ex techie

Ex techie, I know now that is how it sounds, but it wasn't my intention. We'll you have to admit one thing, I got this thread going.:)

You certainly did, and there is nothing wrong with a healthy, polite debate! :)

Long may it continue!

ex techie

I know this is kind of off topic, but I was thinking about Walmart. There are some neighborhoods that would be considered "bad" and some Walmarts are in those neighborhoods.

I don't reject going to those Walmarts, or neighborhoods, because I don't care to be around "those type of people"......I don't go because it could be a safety issue. I prefer to try to keep myself SAFE.

As far as any connection to cruising....there isn't any. I've never felt "unsafe" on any cruise I've been on.

So to me, if someone compares Walmart to Carnival, they are comparing the type of people who go there. And it's wrong.

There is a mixture of the "type" of people who cruise on Disney, just as much as there is on any other line. And THAT'S what causes me to get so worked up about this topic......when other people imply that people who can afford to cruise on Disney are somehow better than everyone else. Just not true.

I agree. Also, those parent that speak to their children that way, are just going to hear it back from them when they become teenagers.

We have these neighbors a few houses down that moved in approx 4 years ago. Prior to them moving in, the neighborhood was so quite and peaceful. You could sit outside with a glass of ice tea and chat for hours. We'll not anymore. 4 years ago, the son's were middle school age and I would hear the mother swearing at them all the time. I could not believe how she spoke to those boys. Now 4 years later, I don't even want to repeat how they speak to her, at the top of their lungs even.

I agree. Also, those parent that speak to their children that way, are just going to hear it back from them when they become teenagers.

We have these neighbors a few houses down that moved in approx 4 years ago. Prior to them moving in, the neighborhood was so quite and peaceful. You could sit outside with a glass of ice tea and chat for hours. We'll not anymore. 4 years ago, the son's were middle school age and I would hear the mother swearing at them all the time. I could not believe how she spoke to those boys. Now 4 years later, I don't even want to repeat how they speak to her, at the top of their lungs even.

Unfortunately, that's how it works. It's sad. And it doesn't have anything to do with how much they can afford.

Unfortunately, that's how it works. It's sad. And it doesn't have anything to do with how much they can afford.

She's a doctor! I wonder what her bed side manner is like - LOL.

Edited by Irene7

When treating the crew, they have the bed side manner of a veterinarian taking an animal's temperature :( :eek: :eek: :eek:! lol!

ex techie

Your too funny!!! :D How are they with passengers? I have never needed medical attention on a ship, so I haven't had the pleasure of one taking my temperature.

Wait one minute - you ARE making a statement about the type of people who live there. You say you don't go into those neighborhoods due to "safety" issues. Well - you're implying people in those neighborhoods either attract crime or participate in it. You're saying the same thing as people who say the Walmart crowd cruises on Carnival. You're just trying to disguise it to make it seem you're less judgmental.