If you think Disney is too expensive...

amyh13

Wait one minute - you ARE making a statement about the type of people who live there. You say you don't go into those neighborhoods due to "safety" issues. Well - you're implying people in those neighborhoods either attract crime or participate in it. You're saying the same thing as people who say the Walmart crowd cruises on Carnival. You're just trying to disguise it to make it seem you're less judgmental.

Nope...I'm not implying.....I watch the news and see the reports of stabbings, robberies and drive-by shootings....I'm stating a fact.

Your too funny!!! :D How are they with passengers? I have never needed medical attention on a ship, so I haven't had the pleasure of one taking my temperature.

They didn't take my temperature, but they treated me well. I broke three ribs on the Wonder. They had antiquated equipment, but they took good care of me.

Your too funny!!! :D How are they with passengers? I have never needed medical attention on a ship, so I haven't had the pleasure of one taking my temperature.

I have no real idea, but I suspect when you are giving your Stateroom number as payment rather than being either a charge to the cruise line or included in their fee to provide services, you are treated a hell of a lot better than they do the crew.

They consistently got very low rating's on the crew welfare questionnaire survey's when I was there for their attitude, lack of compassion and rudeness.

You were a hinderance to them, not a patient.

ex techie

Wait one minute - you ARE making a statement about the type of people who live there. You say you don't go into those neighborhoods due to "safety" issues. Well - you're implying people in those neighborhoods either attract crime or participate in it. You're saying the same thing as people who say the Walmart crowd cruises on Carnival. You're just trying to disguise it to make it seem you're less judgmental.

No you wait one minute.

The statement by MizDaisy is about the people that frequent particular area's and commit crimes making it dangerous for everyone to visit, not about the people that live there or nearby.

Any person that can avoid those dangerous areas would do so.

Unfortunately some people live in dangerous areas and have no other choice but to visit a grocery store there.

They have little or no other option.

Areas of high wealth and poverty both attract crime.

And areas somewhere in-between attract less.

So how does that make someone that can visit an area that has less crime judgmental? That makes them sane?

Not a judgement on the people that have no choice but to live there?

ex techie

I have no real idea, but I suspect when you are giving your Stateroom number as payment rather than being either a charge to the cruise line or included in their fee to provide services, you are treated a hell of a lot better than they do the crew.

They consistently got very low rating's on the crew welfare questionnaire survey's when I was there for their attitude, lack of compassion and rudeness.

You were a hinderance to them, not a patient.

ex techie

Wow, that is so unacceptable.:( They should get a taste of their own medicine - pardon the pun.

I've been on record for a long time as being one of the Carnival "riff-raff" (with a personal shopper at Nordstrom who also cruises DCL and Celebrity, etc.) so I think I'll stay out of that debate. Except to say...there ARE neighborhoods that are dangerous and that has nothing to do with whether you shop at WalMart, Target or Nordstrom (not that there would be one) in those areas. They're simply unsafe. Period. Is it an indictment of the people who live around there? Perhaps. So what? I'm from a law enforcement family so you're not going to win that argument with me.

Anyway, my one experience with a ship doctor happened to be on DCL. He was rude to my sick child and they unprofessionally gave me meds the next day for another child they hadn't even seen so I wouldn't bring him to the clinic. Perhaps they were just overworked with all the sick passengers on that particular sailing. Regardless, I try to avoid ship doctors. :)

Anyway, my one experience with a ship doctor happened to be on DCL. He was rude to my sick child and they unprofessionally gave me meds the next day for another child they hadn't even seen so I wouldn't bring him to the clinic. Perhaps they were just overworked with all the sick passengers on that particular sailing. Regardless, I try to avoid ship doctors. :)

I remember you telling about that once before, that's awful. Maybe they were nice to me because THEY were paying for it, and were afraid I'd sue them or cause a stink. Not that I would have sued them....they have way more lawyers than I do. ;)

Ouch!!! How did you break your ribs?

Long story short, I was stepping out of my stateroom on the day we boarded the ship, and a CM had left a bag right in the middle of the doorway. I was far aft, where there's almost enough room for a lobby area, so no excuse for putting the bag right there. Even if I had looked down (why would I?) I can't see my feet without bending over (two somethings get in my way, if you get my drift) and boy....did I fly! Across the hall, landed on my side with my left arm tucked under me. I sprained that wrist, too.

They accepted responsibility, and paid for my medical care and a small compensation....that I didn't ask for. I did get mad later, when I contacted their shoreside people (as I was instructed to do) to get further medical bills paid for, and that person told me to go jump. But I didn't go any further with it. I just needed to heal.

So I suppose that incident plays into my problem of not being able to see the Pixie Dust all the time. They broke their promises and lied to me. I've cruised with them since, and I'm going again, so obviously I don't hate them.....I find it sad and disappointing now, more than anything.

When I was down in the medical center, I overheard conversations between the nurse and an aide, that I probably wasn't supposed to hear, but I WAS sitting right there.....they were talking badly about the passengers, and being annoyed that they'd been "bothered" by a little boy who'd hit his head by the pool.

If I'd been smart, I would have run then....but I needed painkillers! LOL

Long story short, I was stepping out of my stateroom on the day we boarded the ship, and a CM had left a bag right in the middle of the doorway. I was far aft, where there's almost enough room for a lobby area, so no excuse for putting the bag right there. Even if I had looked down (why would I?) I can't see my feet without bending over (two somethings get in my way, if you get my drift) and boy....did I fly! Across the hall, landed on my side with my left arm tucked under me. I sprained that wrist, too.

They accepted responsibility, and paid for my medical care and a small compensation....that I didn't ask for. I did get mad later, when I contacted their shoreside people (as I was instructed to do) to get further medical bills paid for, and that person told me to go jump. But I didn't go any further with it. I just needed to heal.

So I suppose that incident plays into my problem of not being able to see the Pixie Dust all the time. They broke their promises and lied to me. I've cruised with them since, and I'm going again, so obviously I don't hate them.....I find it sad and disappointing now, more than anything.

I think that would tarnish the Pixie Dust for me too if that had happened to me and to be treated that way later. Thank God you didn't hit your head.

I think that would tarnish the Pixie Dust for me too if that had happened to me and to be treated that way later. Thank God you didn't hit your head.

Some people would say my head is harder, and could have taken the hit. :D

When I was down in the medical center, I overheard conversations between the nurse and an aide, that I probably wasn't supposed to hear, but I WAS sitting right there.....they were talking badly about the passengers, and being annoyed that they'd been "bothered" by a little boy who'd hit his head by the pool.

They were lucky that the boy's parent's were not there to hear that.

I know what you mean about painkillers. I have a bad back and sometimes it really acts up. You know how when you drop something, the 5 second rule applies? We'll when my back is in pain and I drop a painkiller, I use a 2 minute rule because thats how long it takes for me to pick it up. lol

This REALLY concerns me! :(

We are Princess (and sometimes Celebrity) cruisers who are thinking of taking a cruise with all of our children and grandchildren on Disney.

One of the reasons is that one grand daughter has Celiac's and an egg allergy and my daughter did some research and felt Disney might accommodate her food needs the best. However, she might need the medical center ( she reacts to even cross-contamination of foods) and I know that Princess medical personnel have a reputation of being fabulous and caring. In our 40 years of sailing with Princess I've never once heard anything that sounds like what you report. :(

They were lucky that the boy's parent's were not there to hear that.

I know what you mean about painkillers. I have a bad back and sometimes it really acts up. You know how when you drop something, the 5 second rule applies? We'll when my back is in pain and I drop a painkiller, I use a 2 minute rule because thats how long it takes for me to pick it up. lol

Honestly, I've learned to use my toes to pick up small items....I have four cracked vertebra in my back, so I try to be extra cautious.

And I agee....I felt bad for the little boy and his family and never even knew them.

This REALLY concerns me! :(

We are Princess (and sometimes Celebrity) cruisers who are thinking of taking a cruise with all of our children and grandchildren on Disney.

One of the reasons is that one grand daughter has Celiac's and an egg allergy and my daughter did some research and felt Disney might accommodate her food needs the best. However, she might need the medical center ( she reacts to even cross-contamination of foods) and I know that Princess medical personnel have a reputation of being fabulous and caring. In our 40 years of sailing with Princess I've never once heard anything that sounds like what you report. :(

I honestly don't know what to tell you. I do know that Disney is VERY careful with people who have allergies. My husband is allergic to fish and peanut products, and he says it bugs him sometimes, how much attention they pay him at meal times. (Says he's been dealing with it his whole life, blah blah blah) But you never can be too careful.

I would really, really hope and want to think that in the case of a child, the medical center would do everything possible to help.

I live by the motto of being prepared. Do everything you can, yourselves, to make sure that you have everything your granddaughter needs, and be extra vigilant. (As I'm sure you all are, anyway!)

Disney is AWESOME with food allergies. If possible, I would sail on the Dream or Fantasy since they have a completely separate allergy kitchen, so the likelihood of accidental cross contamination is extremely low. I never had a reaction to gluten on the Fantasy.

I would bring whatever meds she usually uses if she does have a reaction, just in case, and go and have fun. Make sure DCL knows about the allergies ahead of time (have it noted on your reservation) and I would highly recommend eating in the MDRs whenever possible. They will have her pre-order her dinner the night before, you can also pre-order breakfast and lunch items if you wish, to save time when you go to eat, but you can also just drop in. I had no issues doing that.

:eek:

I don't think I even want to know how you feel about different races!

DahliaRW, just wondering if you are dahlia from dis?

If so, THANK YOU AGAIN for my ressie :)

I agree there good but font say worth every penny or they will whack the prices up more.

Sent from my iPad.

LOL! That was awesome!

We are taking our first Disney cruise this October. This will be our 2nd overall cruise; with our first being the Carnival Paradise. We loved our whole experience on the Paradise and are super cited about our upcoming cruise but the cost difference with Disney will take your breath away lol.

Edited by crazy coconutz
Typo

• 4 weeks later...