If you think Disney is too expensive...

amyh13

But on DCL, there are still hoards of people....especially little ones who dash in and out, running around and amok.....and the ports?? Same old, same old. Over and over and over.

Which I why I added the caveat of "if I'm taking kids along." I wouldn't go back to DCL otherwise, and I wouldn't take kids on a small luxury ship. That wouldn't be fair to them or the other passengers.

:p:D:p

Carnival has some AWESOME deals going right now for past cruisers and VIFP members. I was just checking out a southern Caribbean 8 nights, Aruba, Bonaire and Grand Turk....premium Vista balcony less than $3000 for two people.

We spent a week in Turks and Caicos once, and 10 days on Bonaire....loved both. I've cruised to Aruba, but hubby hasn't. Doubt I can talk him into it, though. He hates planning that far ahead. I keep telling him it's okay....if he's moved on to that great place in the sky, I'll just find someone else to go. ;)

When we plan ahead, my cruises get canceled. :( It's better to do it four weeks in advance! The one you're looking at is Liberty in Jan 2015? I was looking at Sunshine this October. Eight days to Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk. Since I'm not a huge fan of balconies, I can do a Cloud 9 Spa interior for two for under $2,000. Or I can leave him home and enjoy that spa room by myself again. Sunshine has all the 2.0 upgrades and the best Serenity deck yet and I'm dying to go to Aruba and Curacao. Hmmm....now you've got me thinking about Bonaire. I think that's an unusual place for the unwashed masses of CCL to get to go. ;)

Crap! I've been on eight (I think) Carnival cruises and always seem to miss the drunken brawls. Maybe I could ask John Heald to start putting them in the Fun Times so I can make sure and attend next time! ;)

:D

LOL! We'll have to ask that they are put in the Fun Times also.:D

I must have missed the point about smaller ships. The Disney Dream is larger than most of the Carnival ships.

Living in Brevard County near port Canaveral I read more in the local paper about inappropriate behavior of Disney cruise line employees to guest than all of the other lines sailing their combined.

Spending more money does not make one cruise any better than another. Inside state room and a suite on the same ship have the same dining rooms to go to.

Disney seems to sail to the same ports as most other cruise lines. They all may have one private island or port.

Next month when we sail on the Dream we expect to have a good time. According to all of the Disney cruise lines fans here I will have a better time, be treated better, eat better food and see better shows on a much nicer ship than I have ever been on before. I hope they are right or all of the extra money we spent for the cruise would have been wasted.

I must have missed the point about smaller ships. The Disney Dream is larger than most of the Carnival ships.

Living in Brevard County near port Canaveral I read more in the local paper about inappropriate behavior of Disney cruise line employees to guest than all of the other lines sailing their combined.

Spending more money does not make one cruise any better than another. Inside state room and a suite on the same ship have the same dining rooms to go to.

Disney seems to sail to the same ports as most other cruise lines. They all may have one private island or port.

Next month when we sail on the Dream we expect to have a good time. According to all of the Disney cruise lines fans here I will have a better time, be treated better, eat better food and see better shows on a much nicer ship than I have ever been on before. I hope they are right or all of the extra money we spent for the cruise would have been wasted.

A correction, on Cunard, inside staterooms and suites most definitely do not dine in the same dining rooms.

If you've cruised on a luxury line you will probably be disappointed with the experience on Disney. If you are talking about mass market lines, In my experience, DCL was a far better experience than RCCL. The kicker is that my RCCL cruise was more expensive per night than either if my DCL cruises.

When we plan ahead, my cruises get canceled. :( It's better to do it four weeks in advance! The one you're looking at is Liberty in Jan 2015? I was looking at Sunshine this October. Eight days to Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk. Since I'm not a huge fan of balconies, I can do a Cloud 9 Spa interior for two for under $2,000. Or I can leave him home and enjoy that spa room by myself again. Sunshine has all the 2.0 upgrades and the best Serenity deck yet and I'm dying to go to Aruba and Curacao. Hmmm....now you've got me thinking about Bonaire. I think that's an unusual place for the unwashed masses of CCL to get to go. ;)

The one that still has the premium balconies is the Jan 2015, yes.

If I could go THIS June, I could still get a balcony (standard) for less than $2000 for the same itinerary.

I need to figure out how to get you my email address.

:D:D:D

Some people just don't get it. :p

I think the question of is the cost worth it really depends on what you are looking for. The things that Disney does well, they do really well - far better than the rest IMHO. But, there are several things I feel that are just on par or even below par for what you will find on any other mass market cruise line.

I'm willing to pay somewhat of a premium for Disney, but nothing too crazy. We are booked on the Magic next April and it was actually less expensive for us than doing the Freedom OTS in comparable accommodations. Sure, I could have gone cheaper and booked the Carnival Sunshine, but that just didn't really appeal to us.

Now, looking at Alaska for 2015 the premium to do the Wonder is crazy high vs. other lines so we won't be doing Disney in that case.

Would you care to elaborate?

Would you care to elaborate?

For me, the things that DCL did really well were the 3 Disney shows (Golden Mickeys, Dreams, Toy Story), the characters (always professional, always stopped, never seemed to be a burden or rushed), and the character interaction (sailaway party, pixar party, farewell party). However, for me, that didn't make the extra cost worthwhile. We still had 6 nights of medicore/average (and one awful) shows, the staff were good but not outstanding, the food was good but not excellent (didn't like the fact that the buffet wasn't open round the clock or that it turned into a sit down venue at dinner), and the kids' club was the biggest disappointment of all (and was our main reason for choosing DCL in the first place). We didn't have a horrible time, just an ok time. But we do know that DCL probably isn't the line for our family - would not have found this out if we hadn't sailed with them!

The one that still has the premium balconies is the Jan 2015, yes.

If I could go THIS June, I could still get a balcony (standard) for less than $2000 for the same itinerary.

I need to figure out how to get you my email address.

I have no idea how to do it on Cruise Critic. I just created a new one. I need all my cruise stuff going somewhere new, anyway. Send me something at cruisecrazy415@gmail.com and I'll forward you my regular address. Although, maybe I should just have all my stuff from all cruise lines and Cruise Critic forwarded there instead of my regular mail. It would make my regular stuff SO much easier to wade through! :D

For those of you who think she's being obstinate, no, it's just that some of us get tired of the all Disney all the time routine. This thread started as "if you think Disney is too expensive", and we do. Neither of us hates Disney, we've both sailed and enjoyed Disney and will again if/when the price/timing/itinerary are right. BUT, we aren't low class heathens because we also sail and enjoy other lines and we get sick of hearing about it.

And really, it was just "okay." DISNEY The Ship - BEAUTIFUL. The Service - Cabin Steward, nothing special. Dining Staff, EXTREMELY Friendly, but slow and inaccurate.

Cooking is my hobby and I am an amateur foodie. Cabanas had shrimp and stone crab every day but for the most part, Carnival food was better.

I agree Disney does some things very well on their cruises. I do agree that DISNEY FOOD on the cruise ship (in My experience) Was not as Tasty or as imaginative, and well presented as on a few other cruise lines.

That said, I really enjoyed the "BRUNCH" i had. Very well done.

Thanks for your opinion.

I agree. I will sail any line that meets my time and budget needs.

Disney has it's place but I won't just blindly book them no matter how much they charge.

I've found a reasonably priced 5 night on the Magic in November 2015 that fits my budget and I'm hoping my cousin and her kids will come with us. It's a good deal, a good itinerary (for us anyway - it's just Cozumel and Castaway Cay but we like those 2 spots and none of our cruises this year or what I've got booked for 2015 go to those 2 places), plus I've got 2 OBB's to use before November 30th so the discount and extra OBC factors into my decision.

I've also got a Celebrity cruise booked for the fall (and had a Royal and a Celebrity cruise already this year) and a Carnival cruise booked for March 2015 and January 2016.

I can enjoy myself on any line; my expectations and activities just differ depending on what I paid, what line we're going on and what my focus is for that particular trip (fun, magic, relaxation, ports, just a getaway from work/the cold/family, etc.).

I agree with you 100% ! My family is new to cruising and we are barely planning our 3rd cruise ever but everything you wrote factors in on our decision and we know we will have a fantastic time on any cruise line because it sure beats being at work :)

• 2 weeks later...

Suit yourself....but I always love when people bad mouth Carnival and have never stepped foot on one of their ships. I personally love Carnival and I have tried other lines as well and been perfectly happy. Came on here to research DCL, I will try to look past comments from folks like you.

Reasons you couldn't pay me to cruise on Carnival...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-5JpJwyqk

There are plenty more where those came from...

Add in floating cesspools and decor that looks like Vegas threw up all over the ship...

I'd rather stay home.

I've cruised on several different lines - including Disney and have had a blast on all. My kid loved the Disney Fantasy. We cruised in September 2012 for an incredibly low price (lower than comparable RCL, NCL, etc. fares). The way her eyes lit up seeing all the characters was wonderful. I loved the adult lounges, the spa (and, admittedly, the characters, too). Our cabin was nice, the food was average, and the staff was great. We just returned from the Royal Princes (26-day transatlantic/Scandinavia/Russia cruise) and had a blast. Got a great price, great ports, new ship, and great kids club. Done the same on Cunard and Regent. Look, Disney is a business - if it can charge a premium and still fill up boats, good for them. That benefits the stockholders. It's all supply and demand. :)

And I am, indeed, happy to be a Disney stockholder. :D

I have to say, though, we own a business. It's ornamental iron basically. We make anything and everything out of steel, stainless and copper. My husband is an old school blacksmith, so it's all custom work. We're the only company within a 100 mile radius (if not more) who does everything from I-Beams to small, decorative work. We definitely have the corner on the market. BUT....he refuses to "play" people because of that. He charges a fair price, and feels that word of mouth is the best advertising.

I guess what I'm saying is that we make a good amount of money, without feeling the need to totally rip people off. And sorry to say, I think especially in the Parks, Disney is ripping people off.....ticket prices, food, hotels.....it's just sad.

I have to say, though, we own a business. It's ornamental iron basically. We make anything and everything out of steel, stainless and copper. My husband is an old school blacksmith, so it's all custom work. We're the only company within a 100 mile radius (if not more) who does everything from I-Beams to small, decorative work. We definitely have the corner on the market. BUT....he refuses to "play" people because of that. He charges a fair price, and feels that word of mouth is the best advertising.

I guess what I'm saying is that we make a good amount of money, without feeling the need to totally rip people off. And sorry to say, I think especially in the Parks, Disney is ripping people off.....ticket prices, food, hotels.....it's just sad.

You may think Disney charges too much for ticket prices - just as I think Starbucks charges too much for drinks - but "rip off??" that's a strong statement. Regardless, the way to make a statement is to not frequent the Disney parks/cruises, etc. I don't frequent Starbucks - I take my dollars elsewhere. If enough people do that, the business will suffer and, maybe, they will reexamine their prices. Lastly, I certainly wouldn't own stock in a company if I thought they "ripped" people "off."

I must respectfully disagree, as I believe the term "rip-off" insinuates that customers do not get the product that they paid for, as advertised. Like if someone thought they were purchasing a designer dress from a reputable company, and it was instead a cheap imitation of a designer dress, likely produced in a sweat shop by child laborers. Disney produces a quality product. Overpriced? Perhaps. But they aren't falsely advertising anything.

I hardley think Disney is ripping people off. You know the prices and the choice to go or not to go is yours. I gladly pay their prices because to me they are worth it. Did you ever think that if Disney were cheap, what amount of riff raff you would have and then no one would want to go anymore. If people feel disney is too expensive, then maybe they should stick with Universal, Bush Gardens and Carnival Cruise lines.

I must respectfully disagree, as I believe the term "rip-off" insinuates that customers do not get the product that they paid for, as advertised. Like if someone thought they were purchasing a designer dress from a reputable company, and it was instead a cheap imitation of a designer dress, likely produced in a sweat shop by child laborers. Disney produces a quality product. Overpriced? Perhaps. But they aren't falsely advertising anything.

Exactly! Well said!

I hardley think Disney is ripping people off. You know the prices and the choice to go or not to go is yours. I gladly pay their prices because to me they are worth it. Did you ever think that if Disney were cheap, what amount of riff raff you would have and then no one would want to go anymore. If people feel disney is too expensive, then maybe they should stick with Universal, Bush Gardens and Carnival Cruise lines.

I'll probably get in trouble for this....but.....how incredibly arrogant of you to say that people who go to Busch Gardens, Universal and on Carnival are "riff raff".

That's more insulting and disgusting than me saying Disney rips people off.

And it IS a rip off, when they charge twice as much for McDonald's fries in the parks, as McD's charges elsewhere.

It's also a rip off to raise the park fees, without warning, when the product is exactly the same as it was the week before.

So maybe rip off isn't quite the right word. I'll settle for outrageous. Or ridiculous.

And just because someone CAN afford it, doesn't mean they're better than everyone else. I can afford it....and then some, but I'll choose to show my dislike by not going. I'll just join the riff raff elsewhere.

So arrogant.

I think it's pretty silly for people to get so worked up over one term...rip off.

Their merchandise is made in China.....but costs more than if you bought, for example, a stuffed Pooh Bear at Sears. Seems like a rip to me.

But...as I said, people keep paying, so they'll keep doing it. I just feel bad for young families who can't afford it.

FWIW, a one day ticket to universal IoA or Studios FL is about the same price as a one day ticket to MK. And their hotels were comparable to the nicer WDW resorts, in quality and price. Universal was the only non-Disney park I've been to that felt Disney quality.

So maybe you think Universal isn't good quality, but others don't. They are some stiff competition for WDW. And they have better rides for adults in terms of thrills too.

I think it's pretty silly for people to get so worked up over one term...rip off.

Their merchandise is made in China.....but costs more than if you bought, for example, a stuffed Pooh Bear at Sears. Seems like a rip to me.

But...as I said, people keep paying, so they'll keep doing it. I just feel bad for young families who can't afford it.

I'm not worked up over the term rip-off, I just don't agree with the context in which you used it.

I think that Disney is very clear up-front in how much the parks cost. Go to their website and you'll see that Disney includes menus and prices on their website. There are many resources online and in print dedicated to saving money at Disney. So while people certainly may suffer initial "sticker shock", I would hope that before they book their Disney vacation that they are well aware of the price.

When it comes to luxury expenses, everyone has the capability to decide how and where they spend their money. If something that you want is financially out of your reach but important to you, then you save up for it. If it's not something essential, then spend your money elsewhere.