Free Pours of Alcohol soon to end on RCCL

My friend who is the Bar Manager on the Navigator just told me at yesterday's meeting they were told that beginning at the end of June, the bar staff will no longer be free pouring alcohol and instead must use measured jiggers for each drink.

My friend who is the Bar Manager on the Navigator just told me at yesterday's meeting they were told that beginning at the end of June, the bar staff will no longer be free pouring alcohol and instead must use measured jiggers for each drink.

Honestly that would not make a difference with us for the small amount of non-beer / non-wine drinks that we purchase on board. But that also would not be an issue even if we did. That is consistent with most major bar/restaurant/hotel chains in my experience. Clearly it is a cost control measure but IMO it also ensures consistent drink mixes.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Prepare to face the fury of the teeming masses of internet minions who slide their bartender a $20 on the first day of the cruise and drink like KINGS (KINGS, I TELL YOU!) for the rest of the cruise!

Their $20 gets them triple and quadruple pours! Free drinks! Countless clout and general awesomeness points!

These people will revolt and withhold their $20 bills! REVOLT!

When I was on a weekend Majesty cruise we quickly gathered that it was a party cruise. At Quest a friend ordered a Jack & diet. She brings it back, sips it, goes "Oh my god.. I ordered a Jack & diet, but I'm pretty sure they forgot my diet."

Sure enough it was a pint glass of Jack Daniels. She brought it back and told them they forgot her diet, he laughed and poured some in and that was that. Only cruise I've been on though where you could tell they pushed alcohol hard.

Prepare to face the fury of the teeming masses of internet minions who slide their bartender a $20 on the first day of the cruise and drink like KINGS (KINGS, I TELL YOU!) for the rest of the cruise!

Their $20 gets them triple and quadruple pours! Free drinks! Countless clout and general awesomeness points!

Very funny! :D

Honestly that would not make a difference with us for the small amount of non-beer / non-wine drinks that we purchase on board. But that also would not be an issue even if we did. That is consistent with most major bar/restaurant/hotel chains in my experience. Clearly it is a cost control measure but IMO it also ensures consistent drink mixes.

Much ado about nothing, I'm thinking. Yes, most bars/restaurants do this, but when I'm watching, I also note that they can still either be very careful to just fill the jigger and then pour, or they can freely let the bottle overflow the jigger for a second or two if they're inclined. On Celebrity last week, went for a nightcap at the Sunset Bar aft, and ordered cognac. The bartender gave us two, and then a minute or two later brought the bottle over and poured more into our snifters. And we hadn't tipped him in advance either.

In practice, I don't think this will change things much at all.

Yes I guess the "big tippers" will be disappointed. But we'll probably still hear their 20.00 stories. :D

I hope they never get those computerized pourers

That would be the essence of cheapness.

Since the profit margin on liquors is already tremendous.

Many of the "Loyalist" would walk if you mess with their alcohol...

I hope they never get those computerized pourers

That would be the essence of cheapness.

Since the profit margin on liquors is already tremendous.

Many of the "Loyalist" would walk if you mess with their alcohol...

1. As an avid drinker, a consistent drink is better than an inconsistent one.

2. No, it would be the essence of both efficiency and consistency. Cheapness would be in regards to the quality of the liquor. A pour that is the same each time would allow an individual to know the exact drink they were getting and how they value the dollars they spend on that drink.

3. If you know anything about hospitality management, this is just one link in a big chain. It's so profitable to balance other much less profitable areas.

4. This is often spouted and rarely true. It is one of the frequently used empty threats you could possibly read on a forum like this. Another is one like your intimidation of the steward threat in the other thread.

To illustrate:

You get computerized pours every time you get a fountain drink. There is a set ratio of syrup and carbonated water. This ratio dictates what you receive. You expect a set window of that ratio and you would complain if you received a drink made outside of that window.

The generic/normal ratio for old school systems (the new freestyle boxes, I have no clue about) is 5:1. You get 5oz of carbonated water for every 1oz of syrup you get.

Some store owners will tweak this to 5.5:1 or 6:1 to maximize profits. The end result is that complaints go up and often drink purchases go down when people realize that the place they are visiting has poor quality drinks. The drinks are weak, fizzy, and usually give the impression of a salty taste.

Some store owners mess up and set this at 4.5:1 or 4:1 and this is just as bad AND causes lost profits. The end result is that complaints go up and often drink purchases go down when people realize that the place they are visiting has poor quality drinks. The drinks are strong, flat, and super sweet.

The invisible hand corrects the market because people expect a certain drink based on their experiences with other drinks. The overwhelming majority of people seem to like drinks right around the 5:1 ratio. This tastes normal to them. I used to eat at this greasy spoon with horrible drinks. It didn't take a rocket scientist to look around the room and see everyone drinking water, coffee, or iced tea. Everyone knew it was bad, but the food was delicious. The owner finally fixed the drinks and word slowly got around among the regulars. Amazingly, the people were drinking Pepsi products again. Myself included.

Mixed drinks are the same. You get the ratio right and consistent to make the majority of people happy and you make a lot of profit. People who want stronger drinks will spring for a double, knowing the single is going to be too weak every time. People who like "normal" drinks (the normal being the relative level of what many people want) won't be shocked by drinks that are too strong this time and next time are too weak when they ask for an easy pour assuming it will be strong again.

It benefits almost everyone.

Celebrity started this on a recent trip we were on and I don't think it created a bug issue, especially for people with a drink package. I am NOT happy that they changed the brands of the well drinks to bulge water quality - but that is a discussion for the Celebrity board.

I do tip certain bar tenders and waiters but for good service (which I get) and not for extra pours (which I admit I sometimes get). I like when the person remembers what I drink and is there when I am ready for another one.

Oh, just to clarify - I do not purchase or accept any drink packages. Strictly pay-as-I-go. I like the on-board credit or pre-paid gratuities over the drink package. That way I choose the brand I like.

Hal

Much ado about nothing, I'm thinking. Yes, most bars/restaurants do this, but when I'm watching, I also note that they can still either be very careful to just fill the jigger and then pour, or they can freely let the bottle overflow the jigger for a second or two if they're inclined. On Celebrity last week, went for a nightcap at the Sunset Bar aft, and ordered cognac. The bartender gave us two, and then a minute or two later brought the bottle over and poured more into our snifters. And we hadn't tipped him in advance either.

In practice, I don't think this will change things much at all.

This, so much this. I've ordered a double at hotel bars that use jiggers and had them pour a quintuples. They just keep pour after it hits the top, and then keep pouring as they're slowly dumping it in to the glass. And yes, I had tipped well the night before, and I did again that night.

If you actually want regulation on the amount servers pour, then you go to the weight system, where they weight every bottle at the end of the shift.

Also, I have to say, if your making cocktails, over pouring generally ruins the cocktail. Now, if you're having spirits on the rocks or neat, well... over pouring doesn't ruin those. :D

They are not waiting till the end of June. This occurred mid week for us last week on The Oasis. Bartenders told us they got word to no longer free pour about day 3 into our trip. And as many echoed, much of our group was pleased with this decision as those ordering whiskey and soda were commenting that they were coming way to strong and were not tasting good. Consistency is better than stronger.

A good bartender can free pour and nail a perfect amount every time if they choose. Measured pours will slow down the drink making process a bit, but should make the drinks more consistent overall.

They pour strong drinks as it is. I always chuckle when I get a mixed drink in a land based restaurant after being on a cruise. They always seem like they have almost no alcohol in them at all.

I don't think it will change much for us. We always get a drink package and will just drink more if needed! :p

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

A good bartender can free pour and nail a perfect amount every time if they choose. Measured pours will slow down the drink making process a bit, but should make the drinks more consistent overall.

They pour strong drinks as it is. I always chuckle when I get a mixed drink in a land based restaurant after being on a cruise. They always seem like they have almost no alcohol in them at all.

I don't think it will change much for us. We always get a drink package and will just drink more if needed! :p

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

I agree. As a former bar owner, we free poured and most bartenders could nail it every time. Those that over poured typically would for specific drinks. To me it is about perception. Free pour should provide the "perception" that you are getting more (especially done with flair) but still receiving the same amount. Some drinks and liquor combinations though, should not be the standard 1/2:1.5 oz, etc. It really depends. Aside from the efficiency standpoint with a jigger, that would be my only complaint.

That said, my boyfriend drinks on the rocks so that is not a problem (we get the alcohol package anyway, he'll just order more drinks if the pour is less). I drink mostly wine and beer with some frozen drinks mixed in. I don't care too much about the amount of alcohol in those, especially with all you can drink.

John Taffer must have called RCI to point out how much booze they are giving away.

Bill