Any Scotch drinkers out there?

neptuno

Hi All- Just curious if there are any decent Scotches left on the new bar menus, and within which price packages they may be included or up charged? Personally, I'd love to find Laphroaig or some other Islay single malts.

Hi All- Just curious if there are any decent Scotches left on the new bar menus, and within which price packages they may be included or up charged? Personally, I'd love to find Laphroaig or some other Islay single malts.

Celebrity has some good single malts but they are over the price of either package. There may be one of the cheaper single malts on the premium package, but no islays.

Last year my Scotch of choice was Highland Park 12 yr old. It was under $10 a shot which would be within the premium package. Based on prior cruises you never know what scotches will be available and in what bars. I used to find Michaels Club had the best selection but apparently that's now just for "certain" passengers...

There is a good election of Single Malts included in the premium package

Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Macallen and Glenfiddich to name a few

There is also Jamesons and some other Irish Whiskeys.

There is a good election of Single Malts included in the premium package

Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Macallen and Glenfiddich to name a few

There is also Jamesons and some other Irish Whiskeys.

I hope this is still true, still looking for confirmation. There have been many deletions. Can you indicate when and where you found these?

I hope this is still true, still looking for confirmation. There have been many deletions. Can you indicate when and where you found these?

They are shown as brands included in the premium package on the celebrity US web site as well as the list on the UK website....however, those lists are very different so it's just not clear at this point what is included in what package. Some posts published here show Celebrity representatives have refused to answer specific question about prices or liquors included when asked point blank....saying essentially "you'll find out on the ship".

That's about all we know.... so all anyone can give you here is that you have a strong "maybe"....

Edited by ghstudio

They were available on the Eclipse in March but I

Reckon I drank all the Glenmorangie

😜😜

Celebrity has some good single malts but they are over the price of either package. There may be one of the cheaper single malts on the premium package, but no islays.

On the Solstice last summer my drink of choice was Laphroaig 10 yr (it was covered under the premium package), but that was the only Islay single malt available (and only at certain bars too). Would have loved it if they had Lagavulin available, even with an upcharge above the premium package.

Sailing the Equinox in January - would be quite disappointed if there weren't any Islays available on the ship.

On the Solstice last summer my drink of choice was Laphroaig 10 yr (it was covered under the premium package), but that was the only Islay single malt available (and only at certain bars too). Would have loved it if they had Lagavulin available, even with an upcharge above the premium package.

Sailing the Equinox in January - would be quite disappointed if there weren't any Islays available on the ship.

I'll keep hoping. Now that Celebrity has announced their intent to refill the Classic package, maybe Laproaig will make the Premium again.

• 4 months later...

You will want to check out the "Official Celebrity Beverage Package" List for the Classic & Premium Packages that was posted May 28, 2014 (last time there was a major change) by CC Member CELEBRITY CRUISES who is a Social Media Rep for the cruiseline

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048745

This will at least tell you which brands fall into which Bevvy Pkg

But what you find aboard could be another issue... Due to Restocking - Where in the world the ship is - Consumption by Pax - Local Favourites etc

As well the list only shows what is on any Bevvy Pkg... It does not cover high end items which would be beyond those

If you find something in that grouping when aboard... Your best value would be to probably purchase the Premium Alcohol Pkg, and then you just end up paying the difference in price... ie Your Drink is $ 15, Premium Pkg maxs out at $ 13 a pour, you are charged just $ 2 on your SeaPass Account vs the whole $ 15. And the Premium Pkg will give you access to tons of other bevvys alcoholic & non (see the Official List)

Plus if you have been given the Classic Pkg with your Cruise Booking (123Go or Pick Your Perk offers) upgrading to Premium is very easy...

Hope this helps in your quest for the perfect pour,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

There is no reason to buy/upgrade to the premium package prior to boarding the ship. When you board, go to a bar or two and ask them what's included in the classic package...and ask what other single malts they have available and which would be included in the premium package. The later question is not quite as important because if you have the premium package and the drink costs a little more, you only pay the difference. If you have the classic package you pay the full cost of that more expensive drink.

Wait...make your decision on board and you can purchase/upgrade at any bar for the remainder (or all) of the cruise) based on what you find. In fact, if you have an OBC, you can't use that by pre-purchasing or pre-upgrading. If you buy on the ship, it will be charged to your OB account and you can use your OBC.

Edited by ghstudio

From a post on this forum last month, the single malt Scotch available with the Premium package included the following: Glenlivet, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs, Macallan, Highland Park 12 yrs, and Cragganmore.

The only single malt available with the Classic package is Glenfiddich.

The bars where you can usually find the best selections are the Sky Lounge, the Ensemble Lounge and the Passport Bar.

From a post on this forum last month, the single malt Scotch available with the Premium package included the following: Glenlivet, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs, Macallan, Highland Park 12 yrs, and Cragganmore.

The only single malt available with the Classic package is Glenfiddich.

The bars where you can usually find the best selections are the Sky Lounge, the Ensemble Lounge and the Passport Bar.

Thanks for the update, could you include the post? thanks

interesting topic....I assume this will be a safe place to ask this here

I want to like Scotch...I don't know why, but I enjoy Whiskey and for some reason I want to enjoy Scotch

If I'm a Whiskey drinker(Makers....mixed w/coke, straight or rocks(stones)), what would be a good leap to entering the Scotch world and how would you make it?

I have the premium package on a Med cruise coming up and figured this would be the time to try.

Here are copies of the of the documents:

Classic Package

The Classic Package includes beer up to $6.00 per serving, spirits, cocktails, and frozen drinks priced up to $8.00 per serving, and wine up to $9.00 per serving (all per single serving) and the non-alcoholic beverages listed below. The following are examples of brands that are currently priced within the Classic Package. Please note that drink prices are subject to change at any time without prior notice and the brands listed below are not guaranteed to be included in the Classic Package.

Non- Alcoholic

Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte, NA Specialty Coffees etc., Additional Coffee Syrup, Extra Shot Espresso, Tea Forte, Can Soda, Soda by the Glass, Assorted Juices and Fresh Squeezed, Spring Bottled water, Arizona Iced Teas, NA cocktails and Smoothies

Beers

Bud Light, Budweiser, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Franziskaner, Strongbow, San Miguel, Tiger, Estrella Damm Lager, Heineken Light, Heineken, Leffe, Corona, Corona Light

Alaska- Alaskan Amber, Alaskan Brewing Pale Ale, Alaskan Brewing IPA

UK - John Smith's Extra Smooth, Marston's Pedigree Ale

Spirits

Vodka

House Vodka, Smirnoff, Absolut, Absolut Flavors, Stolichnaya, Stoli Flavors, Ketel One, Effen, 42 Below, Three Olives,

Gin

House Gin, Beefeater, Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Plymouth English Gin

Tequila

House Tequila, Jose Cuervo Blanco, Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cuervo Gold

Cazadores Resposado, Patron XO Café

Scotch

Cutty Sark, Old Black Bush, Chivas, Glenfiddich, Old Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Bell's, Johnny Walker Red, Dewars White Label, J&B

Bourbon/Brandy

Jim Beam, Bour Deluxe, Napoleon, Cles Des Ducs VSOP, Martell VS, Blanton's, Makers Mark, Barsol Pisco, Carlos 1, Metaxa 5 Star Classic, Jack Daniels, Jack Daniels Honey

Rum

Rum White House Pour, House Rum, Bacardi, Bacardi Flavors, Capt. Morgan, Matusalem Reserva, Myer's, Malibu, Gosling's Black Seal – Bermuda, Bacardi Oakheart Spiced Rum, Bacardi 8,

Brugal Anejo, English Harbour, Leblon Cachaca

Premium Package

The Premium Package includes beer, spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wine by the glass up to $13.00 per serving (all per single serving) and the non-alcoholic beverages listed below. The following are examples of brands that are currently priced within the Premium Package. Please note that drink prices are subject to change at any time without prior notice and the brands listed below are not guaranteed to be included in the Premium Package.

Non- Alcoholic

Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte, NA Specialty Coffees etc., Additional Coffee Syrup, Extra Shot Espresso, Tea Forte, Can Soda, Soda by the Glass, Assorted Juices and Fresh Squeezed, Premium Bottled water, Arizona Iced Teas, NA cocktails and Smoothies, Vitamin Water, Red Bull

Beers

Bud Light, Budwesier, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Alaskan Brewery, Franziskaner, Strongbow Cider, O'Douls, Blue Moon, Leffe Blonde Ale, Amstel Light, Corona, Heineken, Red Stripe, Sam Adams, Sapporo , Boddingtons, Hoegaarden, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Kirin, Kirin Light, Corona Guinness Stout, Newcastle Ale, Stella Artois, Peroni, Sierra Nevada, La Fin Du Monde, Fullers London Pride, Anchor Steam, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Dogfish head, Ommeang Abby Ale

Spirits

Vodka

Smirnoff, Absolut, Stolichnaya, Reval Classic, Firefly, Ketel One, Belvedere, Three Olives, Effen, 42 Below, Absolut 100, Rain Vodka, Symphony, X- Rated, Absolut Elyx, Xellent Swiss, Grey Goose, Christiania, Pearl, Stolichnaya Elite, Ciroc Hangar, One Imperia, Jewel of Russia, Classic Reyka, Russian Standard, TRU Organic, Trump Super Premium, Charbay, Chopin, Belvedere Intense, Pravda

Gin

Beefeater, Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's Gin, Plymouth English Gin, Tanqueray 10 Batch Distilled

Tequila

Jose Cuervo Blanco, Jose Cuervo Gold, Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cazadores Resposado, Cazadores Anejo ,Tequila Patron Silver, Patron Reposado, Patron XO Café, Don Julio Blanco, Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila, Herradura

Scotch

Cutty Sark,Old Black Bush, Bell's, Chivas , Dewar's, Glenfiddich, J&B, Johnnie Walker Red & Black, Old Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Jameson, Glenlivet, Chivas Century, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs, Jameson 12yr Special Reserve, Dewar's 12 Yrs., Macallan, Highland Park 12 yrs, Cragganmore , Jameson Gold

If I'm a Whiskey drinker(Makers....mixed w/coke, straight or rocks(stones)), what would be a good leap to entering the Scotch world and how would you make it?

Hmmm, that is probably as varied as there are Scotches (and sure to get this moved).

Scotches come from "Regions": Islay (Island - the island area of northwest scotland), Speyside (a small region in the northwest, but has the most distilaries), Highlands, and Lowlands (somewhat obvious).

I prefer an Islay Scotch (e.g. Lagavulin) with a splash of water, but a small rock is also pleasurable.

Coming from a Makers world, you might prefer to start with a Speyside, such as a Glenfiddich or The Macallan. Probably leave the coke behind, but neat, with a splash or on the rocks; however you take your Makers (the Speyside suppliers will suggest just a splash to just bring out the whisky).

Possibly try the Islay Scotches, but they tend to be peaty and smoky, so be prepared (if you have the beverage package, and it is included ask a bartender what Islay Scotches are available with the package and try it).

For a different take, try the Irish whisky's. My wife doesn't like whisky straight, but does like Jameson's and Ginger (kudos, if they actually have Irish ginger ale).

I would agree to forgoe the Coke, as with any fine spirit; maybe Coke with a cheap rum, but that would be all. I gave up the Coke in the Virgin Islands years ago when a can cost more than a fifth of Cruzan, that being 99cents at the time. Having said that, a straight Scotch can only be rivaled by a fine Cognac or anejo tequilla. while 'Bourbon' whiskey has its following, as an american whiskey typically of corn, there are many Scotches you may find of better palate. Sample as many as you can straight up, and decide for yourself, let us know what you think. I prefer the peaty, musty Islays; but honestly I have had none better than the anejo(aged) tequilla from Oaxaca served seaside in Escondido. Not surprisingly, can't remember its' name...

Thanks for the info....thoughts on JW Blue Label?

It's $200 a bottle in the states...and I have heard it can be had on the Celebrity boats. With having the premium package, and only having to pay the difference in price from what the package doesn't cover...I was thinking why not....but I know some things are all name and no substance.

Thanks for the update, could you include the post? thanks

There is a link to the original post by Celebrity in Sloop JohnB's message in post #11 above. I'll repeat the relevant portion below:

You will want to check out the "Official Celebrity Beverage Package" List for the Classic & Premium Packages that was posted May 28, 2014 (last time there was a major change) by CC Member CELEBRITY CRUISES who is a Social Media Rep for the cruiseline

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048745

This will at least tell you which brands fall into which Bevvy Pkg...

Follow that link and look at the PDF files attached to the first message in that thread.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks for the info....thoughts on JW Blue Label?

It's $200 a bottle in the states...and I have heard it can be had on the Celebrity boats. With having the premium package, and only having to pay the difference in price from what the package doesn't cover...I was thinking why not....but I know some things are all name and no substance.

It's a good scotch, but overpriced IMHO, but like everything else, it'ws always worth trying a wee dram. I suspect that many who drink it are drinking the aura of the label rather than because of the scotch. Personally, I prefer the islay's but most who first try them, even scotch drinkers, don't like the taste (or in some cases, the strong smokey odor).

I've started to try some of the bourbon's recently and they are very pleasant. You might try Boultons which is on (some) celebrity ships...just to compare to the scotches.

It's a good scotch, but overpriced IMHO, but like everything else, it'ws always worth trying a wee dram. I suspect that many who drink it are drinking the aura of the label rather than because of the scotch. Personally, I prefer the islay's but most who first try them, even scotch drinkers, don't like the taste (or in some cases, the strong smokey odor).

I've started to try some of the bourbon's recently and they are very pleasant. You might try Boultons which is on (some) celebrity ships...just to compare to the scotches.

On the list it's Blanton's?