Live - Millennium Held By Russian Authorities

NJ Fred

Millennium was cleared and released just under six hours (1:00 AM local time) past our scheduled departure time.

It is correct to conclude that the bulk of the delay was caused by the passengers who failed to comply with the simple instruction to surrender their passports to Guest Services. The announcement was repeated several times in several languages and was piped through every loudspeaker to include those in staterooms.

Certainly, Russia has the right to control its entrance/exit procedures. However, the passports of all who went ashore were checked before leaving the vessel and, again, when returning to the ship. This third check seemed to be overkill.

Maybe we were just fortunate, but customs and immigration went very smoothly when we visited St. Petersburg via Emerald Princess last spring. Of course, that was prior to current political situations.

We are on our way to Vancouver and anticipate a smooth crossing for the balance of the voyage.

Millennium was cleared and released just under six hours (1:00 AM local time) past our scheduled departure time.

It is correct to conclude that the bulk of the delay was caused by the passengers who failed to comply with the simple instruction to surrender their passports to Guest Services. The announcement was repeated several times in several languages and was piped through every loudspeaker to include those in staterooms.

Certainly, Russia has the right to control its entrance/exit procedures. However, the passports of all who went ashore were checked before leaving the vessel and, again, when returning to the ship. This third check seemed to be overkill.

Maybe we were just fortunate, but customs and immigration went very smoothly when we visited St. Petersburg via Emerald Princess last spring. Of course, that was prior to current political situations.

We are on our way to Vancouver and anticipate a smooth crossing for the balance of the voyage.

Thanks for the update!

the measures implemented for a Noro outbreak can ruin the experience of a cruise. The review I posted on the Infinity tells the story. I'd have probably not been that bugged by the cutbacks if the ship had not been on Code Red for over 80% of the cruise. The obvious impacts:

• Tired Crew
  • No bar menus on the tables in the bar or buffet
  • No Salt or pepper shakers on the table
  • A fleet of folks carrying around antiseptic cleaner
  • Requirement to use the enhanced Purell before stepping in any shop, restaurant or bar.
  • Multiple dishes -- no trays to carry them
  • Multiple trips up for drinks
  • impossible to get coffee refills
  • The urge to keel-haul the passengers who self-medicated and/or did not keep quarantined. :D We could have been back to normal before the Canal if folks followed the rules. The cruise Director mentioned the undeclared cases several times.....

Thanks for the update :)

the non-compliance among passengers is worrisome. We saw extreme selfishness on the Infinity as some passengers would not declare their Noro and kept us on CODE RED by spreading the bug.

The same seemed to have occurred with the passports on this cruise.

It's time for the cruise lines to insure passengers understand that some freedoms end once you see the "welcome aboard" signs. In other words >ALL< requests from Ship's officers must be complied with so that everyone has a good cruise.

...and primarily the Russian authorities decided to do a re-check of passports, which is something I've never heard of before. Not excusing the pax that didn't give them the passports. :confused:

Goldenco

Singapore (one of my most favourite cities) was the worst as that is where you had to take your passports off everytime you left the ship and turn them back in at a certain time before we sailed. They didn't come on and clear the ship as is usually done, you had to clear customs everytime you walked through the terminal. It is really annoying when people don't think instructions apply to them and their actions impact thousands of others.

That's frustrating!!! I remember years ago several times we couldn't leave the ship to go home because some didn't pay their bill...I can't even tell you the number of times they were paged/loudspeaker to do so. I recall some were so angry they took it upon themselves to pound on the guests door.

Coming back from a Panama Canal trip one year, the whole ship could not disembark due to some passengers not having passports checked by customs who came aboard ship. We were all standing the the foyer, waiting to exit and page after page went out for people to go to guest relations to check out/show passports. We almost missed a flight.

I hope your situation gets resolved soon.

I'm not sure if the public address system can be heard in all areas of the ship. I know that is true when the ship is moving with the wind on some of the upper decks...maybe when in port you can here throughout ship. I would assume if someone hadn't turned passport in, they would be announcing names (like they do b4 sail away for missing passengers), looking in their cabins, and walking the pool areas looking for people that might be sleeping (or drinking;))

On my last cruise the officer of the bridge came on Everywhere looking for soneone with a specific blood type for an emergency ..at about 3am ...boy was that a shock ...freaky

Yes they found quite a few

This happened twice on our ship once just before dinner ..the place went dead silent apparently 75 people showed up to volunteer .....nice

Just saying PA does project everywhere when need be

Edited by mmemichele

Thanks for the update and I hope the rest of your voyage is full of fun events only.

We're on the same cruise, sailing West on Sep 12, 2014. I look forward to reading a review, if you should have time to post.

Thank you,

Lynda

I am unclear on this issue, RE: passengers were not complying with the request to turn in their passports.

This regulation must vary with different countries / ports? ??

Having been on the INFINITY for a month, last Dec 2013 > Jan 2014,

from FLL, thru canal, around S/A, ending in Buenos Aires.....

Everyone turned in their passport when we left FLL, and we all got them back the night before the cruise ended in Argentina.

There was no passport(s) back 'n forth, during the cruise/ into + out of many different ports.

~~~ appreciating, in advance~~~ anyone's reply/ answer to this. :)

Perhaps its time to reconsider going there to spend our hard earned money

I'm doing that since they unilaterally invaded and occupied another country.

There's enough places of interest elsewhere that don't treat others with that disrespect.

I am unclear on this issue, RE: passengers were not complying with the request to turn in their passports.

Everyone turned in their passport when we left FLL, and we all got them back the night before the cruise ended in Argentina.

There was no passport(s) back 'n forth, during the cruise/ into + out of many different ports.

In some ports you need to take your passport off the ship to clear immigration, in St Petersburg for example. You also need to take it off in Venice as they can request to check it.

I've never had my passport taken by Celebrity. It lives in the safe and I take a photocopy off unless I'm told I need the real thing (Russia, Venice etc)

You are right in most cases, customs dont need to be "face to face" to process them, but there are countries that require you to take your passport when going ashore - eg. Singapore as Christine suggested and some Asian ports/countries. It is also required if you have a hotel stay if overnighting as generally the hotel you stay in requires it. The cruise line will advise and give them to you if needed and you will have to return them once back on board. We have had cruises where customs have boarded one or two days before a stop, to process passports, which in those cases negated the need to take them with us.

These people either didnt hear the announcements or simply didnt realise the behind the scenes work that goes on. There is no excuse really, as I know Millie always informed us either by the daily or the a letter delivered by the room steward, that this is required.

I've never had my passport taken by Celebrity. It lives in the safe and I take a photocopy off unless I'm told I need the real thing (Russia, Venice etc)

As Hihilo said, you will have your passport retained if you cruise around South America and also around Asia. They return it to you for ports that require either a face to face with immigration or for you to carry it off ship for ID. You may then have to return the passport to the ship for a further period.

Not all countries will accept a photocopy as ID.

Thanks for the update. Hope you have a smooth crossing. :)

We found that out the hard way with the hotels. While staying in Dubai we had a hotel stay in Abu Dhabi and took only a photocopy. They would not accept it, but in the end they did call the Dubai hotel to confirm our details as they were in possesion of it and we got away with it - just. Have always taken photocopies wherever we go but have yet to need them.

We have previously cancelled a cruise the OP is on because of the trouble they had at that port. By the time immigration had done, there were only a couple of hours there and delays in sailing. Still havent figured out why they go there, although I dont know of any alternatives they could use.

Now that they have cleared there, I hope the Noro outbreak situation has calmed down and they can enjoy whats left of their cruise

Same problem over and over----

Some folks feel they are above the RULES!! How many times have debarking ben delayed with people not settling their BILLS!!

Names should be flagged as I am sure they do it all the time!

JMHO

FRANK

Edited by fb0075

In some ports you need to take your passport off the ship to clear immigration, in St Petersburg for example. You also need to take it off in Venice as they can request to check it.

On several cruises we've had our passports taken by Celebrity. I would prefer to keep it, but they do it for good reason and we've never had a problem.

Goldenco

I don't take a photocopy off the ship for ID I take it as a precaution in case of a problem in countries where there is NO NEED to take id or passport off the ship. :)