Star Princess Suite acquisition strategy?

nzOdy

Hello,

The wife, son and I are currently booked in a Mini Suite, one of those with a covered balcony on Emerald deck, for an April 2015 cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I would like to ask a question of those of you with far more experience with Princess Cruises.

We have until Jan/Feb of 2015 to pay in full, and there is a chance I would get a bonus from work in between now and then. One thing I could see spending it on would be to pay the difference and upgrade to a full suite (if they were still available). There are a couple of ways I could do this:

1.) Immediately upgrade when funds are received.

2.) Hold funds and wait for a sale on Suite rates - do those happen?

This all assumes Suites will be staying open - but if they do and I do get a nice bonus, what would be your strategy? We don't mind so much missing out on a full suite, we will be very happy in E-719, but getting one especially at a sale price would be a great 'extra'. Do suites stay available up until near sailing? Does Princess ever discount them?

Thanks in advance for any info and/or tips! Looking forward to 10 nights of relaxation next April!

I had been tracking all category of prices on a few cruises and noticed that suites never changed in price. If they are unsold close to sailing they will offer them to mini-suite passengers for an upsell price of about $50 per person per day. You would have to be in the highest category of mini-suite to be offered an upgrade (at least that was what my TA told me when we were offered one, which we took and loved)

So, personally, I wouldn't wait for a sale and if you get the bonus and want to splurge, go for it, don't wait for a possible upsell offer.

Jackie

Thanks for the info Jackie. Doubt we would get that offer then, given we are towards the rear of the ship down on Emerald deck. If I land the cash and want to splurge and a suite is open - then we'll do it there and then!

I would consider booking your wife in a suite and leaving you and your son in the mini suite (now).. This way you can make sure you have the suite. If it doesn't work out, you can (most likely) move your wife back to the mini suite assuming the capacity of the ship has not been reached for 3rd passengers.

I had been tracking all category of prices on a few cruises and noticed that suites never changed in price. If they are unsold close to sailing they will offer them to mini-suite passengers for an upsell price of about $50 per person per day. You would have to be in the highest category of mini-suite to be offered an upgrade (at least that was what my TA told me when we were offered one, which we took and loved)

So, personally, I wouldn't wait for a sale and if you get the bonus and want to splurge, go for it, don't wait for a possible upsell offer.

Jackie

With vary rare exceptions, I have not seen full suites go on sale. Unsold suites used to be offered as complementary upgrades but it appears that now Princess is offering them as Upsells to mini-suite passengers. We were booked in one of the Cat ME Emerald deck minis and quickly accepted an upsell of $299/person to switch to a Penthouse Suite on our 11 day Baltic cruise last June. DD was traveling with DW and me but only the first two passengers needed to pay the upsell charge :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Check the suite availability. About half were unsold on our cruise a month before sailing when we received our upsell offer. I wouldn't give up your three person cabin because it is possible for the three to a cabin limit, not physical number of cabins that can hold three persons, may be reached and you would be out of luck even though your mini can hold three passengers.

I see your choices as:

1. Book the suite when you have the money.

2. Hope for an upsell offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

We were upgraded automatically once 10 years ago to a VS suite from a regular cabin with balcony. This happened 10 days before the cruise.

We have also paid for full suites, min suites, and every other classification of cabin, and we prefer mini suites over full suites. We like the layout of the mini much more than we do the shorter square configuration of the Full suites

We love the Emerald deck mini suites due to the covered balcony and size

Yes, you get an awesome balcony with a full suite, depending on its location , but I don't feel the excessive upcharge is worth the little goodies received with the suite unless you wish to dine in your suite a lot

Than you to everyone for your informative responses. Interesting to hear that the floor plan of the mini"s are preferred by some. As I originally stated I am sure we will have a great cruise in the room we currently hold, but I now know not to look out for suite sales.