Haleakalā Mountain in Hawaii

Frangipani days

I would rent a car and go up in the daytime if your husband and daughter aren't keen on losing half a night's sleep. After 4 trips to Maui for 2 weeks each, we've yet to go up for sunrise (maybe next trip) ... but we love going up in the daytime. The views on the drive up are really nice (which you won't get going up at 4 a.m.:)) and since it won't be as cold up there as it will be when it's still dark, you'll be able to spend more time outside admiring the views. If you like hiking ... do some of the Sliding Sands trail (it starts at the summit Visitor's Centre) - even if you just hike for 20 minutes, you'll see amazing views into the crater.

Many people say the sunsets are as good or better than the sunrises. We have done neither, but did rent a car and drive ourselves. It is nice, but you are talking about a very long day in the car and your teenager may find it boring. There are so many options in Maui. A road trip to Lahaina and or Kaanapali Beach which combines shopping, Beach time and a nice lunch at one of the nice beach front restaurants on Kaanapali sounds like more of a day for a teenager;).

It is nice, but you are talking about a very long day in the car ...

It's can be done in half a day as it's less than a 1.5 hr drive from Kahului (where POA docks) to the summit. But I agree, I would try to also include some beach time on Maui ... either south or west Maui, and if shopping is a priority, then Lahaina and/or Whaler's Village in Kaanapali. With two days on Maui, you have time for a highlight such as Haleakala as well as beach time. The Road to Hana is what I would call a long day in the car!

By the way, I forgot to say "Welcome to Cruise Critic" Frangipani in my post above. :)

There is a nice little store on the way to the top of Haleakala that sells snacks and homemade treats, such as banana bread. There are plenty of photo opportunities along the drive. You could go to Makawao after visiting Haleakala. It's a great little town to shop and eat. Definitely rent a car and do this on your own schedule.

There is a nice little store on the way to the top of Haleakala that sells snacks and homemade treats, such as banana bread.

Thanks for that recommendation ... is it this one? It sounds good ... worth looking for next time.:)

We were on POA in April and we did the sunset because I didn't want to get up at 3am either, it was beautiful and I was so happy we didn't do the sunrise because we heard everyone complaining that they seen nothing because it was raining that morning.

The weather makes it so unpredictable. We went on our second day in Maui and it rained all day. We left around 10am, hoping it would clear up but it didn't. The drive was so tedious and boring because we couldn't see a thing. I was glad I didn't pay for a tour and we returned our rental car early.

If you go, remember it's COLD up there! Especially for the sunrise! Bring jacket and wear long pants, or bring blankets to wrap up in. 30F. is not uncommon!

"cb" is correct, it is cold. Expect it to be 30-35 degrees colder at the summit compared to sea level, not including wind chill. It was funny seeing people in shorts at the summit; they had a short visit also.

This site is a good one to check for the weather forecast on Haleakala (and other areas of Maui - just click on the area on the map that you want the weather for.)

And this site gives the current weather, windchill, rain and visibility info.

It's not always freezing up there ... we've been up a couple of times at mid morning and early afternoon, with beautiful, sunny weather, and temps in the low to mid 60's, but I wouldn't go up there without a jacket and long pants (the wind chill makes it feel cooler) ... and if going in the morning, a hat and gloves also.

Edited by Susan-M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Budget Travel has a short video showing the drive to the summit of Haleakala. The smoke you see in central Maui is a sugarcane fire which they do before harvesting. If you happen to be downwind of the fire you may have "black snow" (ash) falling on you.

http://www.budgettravel.com/video/top-road-trip-mauis-haleakala-summit-drive,34/?wpisrc=newsletter