Flooding hits Danube river in Serbia,Romania

alexandra cruiser

Just read by googling about the flooding there.Wonder if anyone on the Danube river right now that s being effected by this?

Taking a Budapest to Bucharest cruise in 1 mo.and worry if this will be a problem.Going to Belgrade,and Romania towns on river.

Of course,sorry to hear about loss of life,etc.Don t mean to sound insensitive,but (of course) I AM worried about this.

Anyone??:confused:

I was wondering if this was going to be a problem. We have been in Austria and Hungary for the past ten days and for about five days in a row there has been heavy rains. The rivers are all quite high. Good news is the sun is finally back out and should be for several days.

We are on the AMACerto from Rousse, Bulgaria northbound, arriving in Budapest tomorrow. We have been fine. The water level is very high, but we haven't had any problems with navigation. The flooding in Serbia was terrible with people on the roofs of their houses, but downtown Belgrade where we were was not one of the affected areas. At one passenger's suggestion, the passengers took up a collection for the flood victims which our Serbian cruise manager will deliver. The only problem now, according to the captain is that there is a lot of submerged debris in the water, and they have to watch carefully. This is a fascinating part of the world. Enjoy your cruise.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

good to hear about the collection. many of the crew are sourced from the Balkan countries. truly awful event. hope the water goes down soon. the rainfall reported was enormous.

the sava river flows into the Danube but hopefully will not impact river cruising on the usual routes.

cannot control the weather.

So far no delays are reported for the Danube stretch to Budapest (or lets say at least none of the ships coming from Vienna / Linz to Regensburg / Nuremberg reported delays as far as I know). The Sava river contributes its water upstream of Belgrade, so this can only affect the cruises going to Bucarest / the Danube Delta.

According to austrian news I saw on TV, the biggest advantage for the upper Danube was the dry winter, so the ground was able to buffer a lot of water and it did not affect the river levels right away (like last May / June, where the ground was totally saturated).

Check - news.sky.com the Danube has been hit but looks like it should return to lower levels within a week, as there was not a lot of snow or rain over the winter ground water levels will be able to deal with the influx much better, I think the UK got the rest of Europe's rain over the winter.

Fingers crossed for trouble free cruising in the region.

This is how travel makes the world a smaller place. Ordinarily, I would have seen this news in my newspaper and given it cursory glance, but being ready to travel in the area, I already have more empathy for the folks affected by the mud slides and flooding in the area. The map in my paper showed the main troubles along rivers in the area south of the Danube. I do hope people are able to return to or rebuild their homes. I'm also watching the sad news about the miners in Istanbul since our trip takes us there too.

I do wish the best for the folks who are struggling in these areas, and hope you are all able to cruise as expected.

Hi All, I asked Scenic if there were any challenges with the Danube and they said as yet there are no problems but of course this could change depending on the weather. Which we most probably all knew but nice to know no problems so far and a quick reply.