Spending a full day in Florence-tour operator recommendation?

kccpa

Hi all,

My family (there will be 3 adults) will be staying a full day in Florence and would like to make the most of our time there.

We generally get the most from a city if we hire a tour guide to show us the city and who can give us some history as we go along.

Can you make some recommendations as to tour guides that you can recommend?

Thanks in advance!!

Kathy

A little reading down the board would reveal the excellent Rome in Limo operates in Florence.

I'm not really looking for a LIMO but for a tour operator.

Thank you.

Kathy

We used Florence Custom Tours for a half day walking tour of Florence. It worked out great. Florence is very easy to walk around and the sites are close together. We spent the morning walking around Florence with a very nice and informative guide and went to the Accademia to see David. Not having been to Florence before it was nice to have someone show us around. We had lunch after the tour and then went to the Ufizzi Gallery. They made reservations for us so we could avoid the lines at the museums. Florence Custom Tours has great reviews on TripAdvisor.

While in Florence go inside the Basilica di Santa Croce. It has the tombs of Michelangelo and other famous people.

If you aren't into paintings skip the Ufizzi Gallery and enjoy the rest of Florence on you own after you have a feel where everything is.

Rome in Limo is great if you are coming from Livorno and need a driver to get to Florence. If you are already there a car and driver isn't needed within the city walls.

Rick

It sounds to me like the OP is asking for a tour guide to walk them around Florence, NOT transportation to/from the port...

/QUOTE]

Cruisemom42...you got it exactly right. I am looking for a good walking tour guide around Florence....NOT transportation. We will already be in Florence and would like to have someone knowledgeable to bring the history to life and to be able to bypass the lines of the places we visit.

Thank you for your recommendation. If anyone has other suggestions, they would be become.

Thank you in advance.

Kathy

We used Florence Custom Tours for a half day walking tour of Florence. It worked out great. Florence is very easy to walk around and the sites are close together. We spent the morning walking around Florence with a very nice and informative guide and went to the Accademia to see David. Not having been to Florence before it was nice to have someone show us around. We had lunch after the tour and then went to the Ufizzi Gallery. They made reservations for us so we could avoid the lines at the museums. Florence Custom Tours has great reviews on TripAdvisor.

While in Florence go inside the Basilica di Santa Croce. It has the tombs of Michelangelo and other famous people.

If you aren't into paintings skip the Ufizzi Gallery and enjoy the rest of Florence on you own after you have a feel where everything is.

Rome in Limo is great if you are coming from Livorno and need a driver to get to Florence. If you are already there a car and driver isn't needed within the city walls.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

I'll take a look. They too sound like what we are looking for. From what I've read and watched (Rick Steves), considering giving the Ufizzi Gallery a pass. All the other spots sound very interesting.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Kathy