Couples Prejudice?

jamessemaj

A very interesting concept? Can you give an example of what you would consider to be "prejudice" toward solo/single passengers aboard ship?

The Princess cruise we just completed had quite a few organized events just for solo/single passengers. Our single adult daughter sailed with us a couple times and she never complained about fellow passengers treating differently because she wasn't one half of a couple.

Of all of the cruises we've been on, unless someone told us they were traveling solo, we'd probably never know. With 2500, 3000 or more passengers on a ship, it would be kind of difficult to determine who is single and who's not. And besides, what difference would it make? I can't think of any reason why a couple would be prejudiced towards a solo cruiser. Maybe in some cases a bit envious, but not prejudiced.

Not that I care much, but just wonder if as a solo cruiser you have encountered some prejudice from couples?

Not in any way that mattered, or, rather, not in a way that I knew it was because I was solo and they were a couple. Yes, I've had couples be rude to me, but maybe they were rude to everyone and it had nothing to do with me being solo. Or maybe they were rude to people of my age, or women, etc......No one has ever said "I won't (share a table, whatever) because you're solo".

I've experiences more prejudice from institutions/companies and employees for being solo than I have from individuals or couples.

Both when I have sailed solo and when I have taken my mother with me: when meeting my tablemates the fist night at dinner (late fixed seating) there has on occasion been a couple at the table who were openly less than pleased to have anyone besides other couples at the same table. So they end up changing tables. Their attitude, their loss; I didn't mind because they didn't matter.

Edited by fishywood

I always end up at one of those 8 or 10-top tables where they place the singles. I would not say I have experienced "prejudice", but I would say that some people just keep to themselves during dinner, and don't respond much if you try to interact with them. You know it when you try to make polite conversation - especially when you are among the first to arrive at the table - and the body language just says something else.

On one of the cruises, I got chatting at dinner with a couple from overseas and we enjoyed dinner time - when we arrived at dinner at the same time to be seated together. After the cruise they were travelling around the country and they came back to my city and I took them out sight-seeing. We just seemed to click. That is the most important thing with travelling. Sometimes you will meet people who you can spend time with again, and sometimes it just does not work out.

I will say, try to join your cruise's Roll Call. I had a great experience on an active Roll Call where (once I felt comfortable with the group interactions) I put out a message on CC for "anyone on the Roll Call willing to have single travelers join with them for dinner seating, to reply to the message". There was a group of people travelling together, and their coordinator offered for me to join their group for dinners. That was really a wonderful cruise with my table mates.

I would therefore recommend "the larger the table the better - as long as that table is where they place split groups/singles".

Not that I care much, but just wonder if as a solo cruiser you have encountered some prejudice from couples?

Apparently you care more than you think otherwise you wouldn't have posted the question to begin with .:confused:

Never and I have done over 28 solo cruises .

Edited by xxoocruiser

We (DH and I) tend to "adopt" singles who appear compatible and willing to be adopted and they've almost unanimously told us that they can get adopted by couples, families, groups of roving singles whenever they want.

The singles we've spoken with (and remember these are people who like being adopted) all said that they love to travel as a single because they feel like it's the best of both worlds. They can join up with people IF THEY WANT, but they aren't stuck with them if they find they don't enjoy them or if they just want to be alone.

So I think prejudice against singles may be at least in part a self fulfilling prophesy.

Having said that - go on more than a cruise or two and you'll cross paths with all sorts of not so nice people... but as long as you ignore them and keep walking, they end up being nothing more than a funny story you tell later.

Until I remarried I cruised solo for a number of years - perhaps the best way to take a vacation, since going to a resort alone can be awful. I always requested a large table, traditional dining and was regularly fortunate in my table-mates, who were always welcoming. I was frequently asked to go along on shore excursions and to join trivia teams - so not only did I not experience prejudice, I was generally welcomed.

I always cruise solo... never had any issues from couples unless you count the looks of envy...

I also find experienced cruisers are most likely to reach out to solos and offer opportunities to socialize and yet not be offended if the offer is declined

Thanks for all who offered their thoughts. I must say first that I posted this question in the wrong place. I had meant it for the solo forum.

Anyway, yes it might be my imagination, but I have discerned occasionally a subtle undercurrent or vibe that some couples enjoy being with other couples and tend to ignore solos. It is not a major issue with me, and certainly not universal, but just posted (in the wrong forum) to see what other solo travelers thought. Again, thanks.

My daughter and I were seated at dinner with all single cruisers-we became great friends with them and hung out with them in port and after meals at the shows,comedy club ,etc.They were such a nice group of cruisers.

Never cruised solo, however ALWAYS go to some events or activities without my sailing companions. No one knows if I'm alone or in a family reunion group of 30. It doesn't matter.

Actually there have been a few family cruises where I wished I was sailing solo. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all who offered their thoughts. I must say first that I posted this question in the wrong place. I had meant it for the solo forum.

Anyway, yes it might be my imagination, but I have discerned occasionally a subtle undercurrent or vibe that some couples enjoy being with other couples and tend to ignore solos. It is not a major issue with me, and certainly not universal, but just posted (in the wrong forum) to see what other solo travelers thought. Again, thanks.

One reason for this, sometimes not always, is the fact not all women/men want their spouse to hang out with someone of the opposite sex. Now this isn't always the case, but I tend to find that some couples just can't handle hanging out with singles no matter what.

I had a co-worker that cruised quite often with his wife (quite a beautiful women). And on one of their ports they went to a topless beach. Well this young thing went running down the beach so of course my co-worker looked. His wife got so upset that she packed up their stuff immediately and refused to ever let them go back to a beach again at that port.

I know its not the same thing, but she is the type of women that would never let my co-worker to interact on any level with a "single" female.

One reason for this, sometimes not always, is the fact not all women/men want their spouse to hang out with someone of the opposite sex. Now this isn't always the case, but I tend to find that some couples just can't handle hanging out with singles no matter what.

I had a co-worker that cruised quite often with his wife (quite a beautiful women). And on one of their ports they went to a topless beach. Well this young thing went running down the beach so of course my co-worker looked. His wife got so upset that she packed up their stuff immediately and refused to ever let them go back to a beach again at that port.

I know its not the same thing, but she is the type of women that would never let my co-worker to interact on any level with a "single" female.

Yes, I have experienced that as well, and the opposite of blatant flirting by one of a couple with a another, and the other not seeming to care.

There are several scenarios possible, but what is curious to me are the dynamics of interaction between couples, especially when there are more than one couple, and a lone solo in the company.

Solo cruisers.... Love them. My daughter (9) and I travel with out my husband. Our first cruise the solos would latch on to us in port. We had a ball! Win win for us . We meet a few solos had a great time in port and back on the ship.

I can't speak about couples but I can tell you what my sister and I do when we come across a solo cruiser. We ask them if they would like to join us at a show, to share our table one night, meet us for a drink, etc.