b2b2b2b Zaandam

18 days on the Zaandam and they were wonderful days. The ship is in great shape. We were on her last year for 3 weeks and she had to forgo Dry Dock until later in the year but she sure didn't show any problems even then. Now she is all decked out with new soft goods, cabins are all upgrade with new colors and furnishing, very nice indeed.:) Also they have put in the 'Mix', in actuality not my favorite venue but I'm sure there a lot of passengers that would disagree with me, just a matter of choice.

Coastal going up from SD was a little bumpy but not bad. First week in Alaska was amazing, more sun then we have seen in many years, especially going up there this early in May. Some passengers actually got sunburns. Second week was more typical Alaskan weather with some sun, some clouds, a little fog and some rain. We did not see the Glacier in Tracy Arms the first week because of to much ice but on the second trip we got within sight of her.

Passengers on these cruises were very diverse, lots of little kids, young adults, and ofcourse us old guys.

Pinnacle Grill's new menu is a little more restrictive then the old, certainly less choices, but the food was great. Chicken Soup with lemon grass is different but I think equally as good at least the way this Chef prepared it. I fell in love with the Veal Chop, oh so flavorful. They are again doing the Caesar salad table side. Tried the Caviar and the Crab Legs, both were wonderful, I think those two items are a nice addition to the menu. Lunch there is the same, and so worth the price I think, love the 5 onion soup.

I have to mention that we had one of the best Pinnacle Managers ever. Her name is Elvira, what a charming young women. Look out Maasdam she is coming your way in a few months, lucky you.:)

The 'Dive In' is not yet in place at the Terrace Grill.:( Didn't hear when it would be implemented. Was some what disappointed in the Pico De Gallo at the Taco bar, one of my favor things to eat. It is supposed to be finely chopped up fresh tomato, onion, peppers, etc. but on this ship they put it in the food processor, big mistake, it macerated it, so no flavor and very watery. This was the first Hal ship we have had this problem on.

I have to mention some personal that we found that went beyond the call of duty, and certainly we want to give them special recognition. Pinnacle Manager already mentioned Elvira, Bar Manager Callin, Assistant Bar Manager Andrew, Bar Tenders Roberto (Bob) and Armondo, last but certainly not least Neptune personal Isabel, Palo and Paula.:D (Hope I spelled everyone's name right) These are some of Hal's best, that's for sure. Thank you all for your kindness.

Thanks Zaandam for a great cruise.

Welcome back Melodie.

Yesterday I mentioned to DH that I had not seen you posting for a while, so it's good to know that you are well, and have had such a great cruise.

Did you have the same room throughout?

Thanks for such a positive report.

I sure enjoyed the Zaandam for the 3 weeks we were aboard her last year. :D

So glad your trip was just as stellar and that the weather was so exceptional!

Nothing like coming back from Alaska with a tan! ;):D

Edited by localady

Welcome back Melodie.

Yesterday I mentioned to DH that I had not seen you posting for a while, so it's good to know that you are well, and have had such a great cruise.

Did you have the same room throughout?

Thanks for such a positive report.

Yeah, we lucked out as we had the same cabin for the 2 weeks but the 4 day going up was a Guarantee. Luckily someone was paying attention at Hal and got us the same cabin. I was not looking forward to moving.

Mix on Zaandam?! Not doubting you but would love to see some pics

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of it, but you have my word, they have changed that area into a 'Mix". As I said before, it's certainly is not my favorite venue.

I was quite surprised they did that as the year before when we were on her, she had the old set up with the piano bar being separate, with the old sports bar on the other side. They have those very high back chairs in the piano area, I still don't get the purpose of those. They have the same stupid little champagne bar that is useless. Never seen anyone use it, but how could you, no chairs around it. The martini bar was ok, we used it one evening.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of it, but you have my word, they have changed that area into a 'Mix". As I said before, it's certainly is not my favorite venue.

I was quite surprised they did that as the year before when we were on her, she had the old set up with the piano bar being separate, with the old sports bar on the other side. They have those very high back chairs in the piano area, I still don't get the purpose of those. They have the same stupid little champagne bar that is useless. Never seen anyone use it, but how could you, no chairs around it. The martini bar was ok, we used it one evening.

Really makes you wonder why HAL's website shows nothing about it, deck plans show nothing about it... no press releases about it...

Really makes you wonder why HAL's website shows nothing about it, deck plans show nothing about it... no press releases about it...

Hey, I was as surprised as you seem to be, and yes I hadn't heard a thing about it either. Now I'm curious to know if it has or is happening to any of the other R class ships.