Observations on my first voyage on the QM2

bobg529

I just returned from the transatlantic crossing of May 9th, the much ballyhooed anniversary trip, complete with brass bands, visits from royals, and spectacular fireworks. Well, I am still trying to recover from my voyage, but as I have to return to work tomorrow I have no choice except to come back to reality. The entire trip was one that I had planned for over a year, having booked it in February of 2013. At the beginning I did it as something of a lark, having always dreamed of doing a transatlantic on an ocean liner. (At least, ever since I saw poor Lady Marjorie go down on the Titanic, ;) ). I've been cruising for a while now, traveling mostly with NCL. I will admit here, and gladly, that I have enjoyed every NCL ship I have been on and will continue to travel with them. But at the same time I wanted to try the REAL thing. Get dressed up in a tux, sip cocktails while watching the sea, the usual stuff. Besides this, is the fact that I have always been a bit of an Anglophile. So I figured I would fly over to London, see what I could see in the few extra days I could take off from work and then sail back, thereby killing two birds with one stone AND avoiding jet lag in the bargain! Many plans did I make these many months, fully expecting that so far ahead something would come up and the dreams would wind up in smoke.

Usually this will only result in a sense of disappointment as rarely do dreams and expectations jibe with real life. However I am delighted to report that not only did both England and the Queen Mary 2 meet my expectations, but they EXCEEDED them! Everything that I had sought in my all too short visit to London and environs I found. True, I learned that I should have trusted myself to get about using trains, etc more than I did, but that only served to teach me a lesson for next time. I will need a much longer stay next time too, as 4 or 5 days is simply not long enough. Not even close. Suffice it to say I loved London. Loved my too short side trips to Windsor Castle, and Bath, and Stonehenge, loved the people, the accents, and yes even the food! Even the weather cooperated, giving me mostly blue skies with only a few showers here and there just for atmosphere.

As to the QM2, well she is a beautiful lady. Everything about her spoke of elegance and class. I could sit here and gush forever about her, but I wouldn't be saying anything that hasn't already been said here many times by so many of you, and much better than I can as well. I just want to offer that many times I read of complaints about how she's "not as good as she used to be" etc.. This is entirely common of all of these boards I guess. A mixture of bad humor, grumpiness, genuine disappointment, and unrealistic expectations, with a hint of ennui mixed in just for the hell of it. Please take it from me, from a fresh set of eyes, that she is everything that a person can expect and more. OK, two complaints: the elevators are a little small, and the food is too damn good, lol. :)

Thanks to all on this board by the way for their patience and advice with all my dumb questions. You truly made my trip a lot easier to plan. I am now a proud Cunarder, veteran of ONE transatlantic passage, with more to come God willing. QM2, I miss you already...

Hi bobg. Very happy to read that you enjoyed your trip! QM2 is certainly a beautiful ship; a one of a kind - the only operational Ocean Liner currently in existence.

And while it is good to see the QM2 through the eyes of someone who is seeing her for the first time, please consider that those who have a past history on the ship have a different perspective. It's not always "A mixture of bad humor, grumpiness, genuine disappointment, and unrealistic expectations, with a hint of ennui mixed in just for the hell of it", but rather the of experience of voyages over the years that results in valid comments (positive and/or negative) regarding changes.

Anyway, welcome home, and thanks for your report. (Hope you don't have to board the SI Ferry in the morning --- talk about changes on vessels over the years:eek:)

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

How lovely to read such a positive review of your trip.:D Thank you for taking the trouble to post it.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed visiting our country and that the sun managed to shine, most of the time, and that your Cunard crossing lived up to your expectations, hopes and dreams.

I just returned from the transatlantic crossing of May 9th, the much ballyhooed anniversary trip, complete with brass bands, visits from royals, and spectacular fireworks. Well, I am still trying to recover from my voyage, but as I have to return to work tomorrow I have no choice except to come back to reality. The entire trip was one that I had planned for over a year, having booked it in February of 2013. At the beginning I did it as something of a lark, having always dreamed of doing a transatlantic on an ocean liner. (At least, ever since I saw poor Lady Marjorie go down on the Titanic, ;) ). I've been cruising for a while now, traveling mostly with NCL. I will admit here, and gladly, that I have enjoyed every NCL ship I have been on and will continue to travel with them. But at the same time I wanted to try the REAL thing. Get dressed up in a tux, sip cocktails while watching the sea, the usual stuff. Besides this, is the fact that I have always been a bit of an Anglophile. So I figured I would fly over to London, see what I could see in the few extra days I could take off from work and then sail back, thereby killing two birds with one stone AND avoiding jet lag in the bargain! Many plans did I make these many months, fully expecting that so far ahead something would come up and the dreams would wind up in smoke.

Usually this will only result in a sense of disappointment as rarely do dreams and expectations jibe with real life. However I am delighted to report that not only did both England and the Queen Mary 2 meet my expectations, but they EXCEEDED them! Everything that I had sought in my all too short visit to London and environs I found. True, I learned that I should have trusted myself to get about using trains, etc more than I did, but that only served to teach me a lesson for next time. I will need a much longer stay next time too, as 4 or 5 days is simply not long enough. Not even close. Suffice it to say I loved London. Loved my too short side trips to Windsor Castle, and Bath, and Stonehenge, loved the people, the accents, and yes even the food! Even the weather cooperated, giving me mostly blue skies with only a few showers here and there just for atmosphere.

As to the QM2, well she is a beautiful lady. Everything about her spoke of elegance and class. I could sit here and gush forever about her, but I wouldn't be saying anything that hasn't already been said here many times by so many of you, and much better than I can as well. I just want to offer that many times I read of complaints about how she's "not as good as she used to be" etc.. This is entirely common of all of these boards I guess. A mixture of bad humor, grumpiness, genuine disappointment, and unrealistic expectations, with a hint of ennui mixed in just for the hell of it. Please take it from me, from a fresh set of eyes, that she is everything that a person can expect and more. OK, two complaints: the elevators are a little small, and the food is too damn good, lol. :)

Thanks to all on this board by the way for their patience and advice with all my dumb questions. You truly made my trip a lot easier to plan. I am now a proud Cunarder, veteran of ONE transatlantic passage, with more to come God willing. QM2, I miss you already...

Well said and I'm pleased that you enjoyed yourself. :)

How lovely to read such a positive review of your trip.:D Thank you for taking the trouble to post it.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed visiting our country and that the sun managed to shine, most of the time, and that your Cunard crossing lived up to your expectations, hopes and dreams.

Completely echo all of this.

Please return to London again, there's loads more to see & do - as there is in all parts of our green & pleasant land!

It WAS a great crossing : )

Time passed very quickly.

Excellent speakers.

Had a delightful encounter with Stephen Payne in the bookstore… Didn't recognize him (I'm just bad at remembering faces) when he engaged me in conversation (about a Cunard poster I was purchasing), then asked if I had been on the QM2 before. I said "yes" and told him the total number of days and that it was my favorite ship. Then, I (politely) asked if HE had been on the ship before as well. …He said that he (as a matter of fact) designed the Queen Mary 2.

I was too tongue tied to change gears and thank him properly. The QM2 has comfortably and safely taken DH and me to places I never dreamt I would go. How do you thank someone for such a gift? Literally, the QM2 changed my life.

Belatedly: thank you for designing such a great ship, Stephen. Thank you for your interesting and well-presented lectures and for being such a friendly gentleman!

Also, had a chance encounter with Maureen Ryan while wine tasting. What a great lady! Missed her lecture (not on purpose--it was a busy crossing for us), but found her as charming, interesting and well-spoken as I had read others describe her on CC.

Also, had a nice chat with Lynn Truss while she signed my book and corrected the punctuation of the little piece I asked her to write in it. Hers was very hilarious presentation and she was so very personable during a one-to-one exchange. What a privilege to have spoken with her!

Another highlight for me was meeting Andrew Vogts---a 13 year-old violinist, completing the last stage of a full-world-cruise with his mom, Annette. What a talented young man! He was a passenger, but his performance was equal to (or better) than paid performers aboard the ship. (Very polite young man---wild hair and great shoes! Maybe, you saw him in the King's Court? His is a career to watch).

One meets the most interesting people on the QM2---a reason we have enjoyed each and every day we have spent aboard her.

It was a great birthday party, Mary!

Thank you for your wonderful review. We too were awestruck on our first voyage aboard QM2 and the magic hasn't dimmed. Of course, nothing human beings make or do is perfect, and as Salacia wisely noted, the more often you sail on this magnificent ship, the more likely you are to notice the inevitable shortcomings and to bring your concerns to this board. But just about everyone who posts here loves QM2 and it's good to have reviews like yours to remind us why.

Thanks for your effusive review, bobg529! Herself and I will be sailing NY to Southampthon on her in a little under four weeks, and it's good to hear your initial impression of her. Like you, this will be our first trip on her - first time to sea at all for Herself, and the first time I won't have to stand watches. :D