first cruise on Golden Princess room location help

sdnich

I want to book my first cruise on Princess and and I am looking at the mini suite on the Golden Princess and I am looking at D409 -D 411 and am looking for any input.We have stayed in Celebrity sky suite on the aft which we loved.None of the mini suites are aft on this boat so thought we would go with more center.Any info would be great.We are looking forward to a new cruise line experience

Since you are new to Princess I will point out that the Dolphin deck mini suites are completely uncovered/exposed to the balconies above you. This has never bothered us but some people do find that uncomfortable.

I want to book my first cruise on Princess and and I am looking at the mini suite on the Golden Princess and I am looking at D409 -D 411 and am looking for any input.We have stayed in Celebrity sky suite on the aft which we loved.None of the mini suites are aft on this boat so thought we would go with more center.Any info would be great.We are looking forward to a new cruise line experience

If your cruise is to Alaska or some other weather-iffy destination, you might want to look at the minisuites on Emerald deck. They're located toward the aft, with the last one on each side of the ship having a much larger balcony that very nearly has aft views. What makes these dozen or so minisuites so popular is that, unlike those on Dolphin deck, the balconies are completely covered. Such protection from the elements would come in handy in Alaska!

If your cruise is to Alaska or some other weather-iffy destination, you might want to look at the minisuites on Emerald deck. They're located toward the aft, with the last one on each side of the ship having a much larger balcony that very nearly has aft views. What makes these dozen or so minisuites so popular is that, unlike those on Dolphin deck, the balconies are completely covered. Such protection from the elements would come in handy in Alaska!

I'll concur with rdsqrl's advice. I booked the mini-suite on Emerald deck for this reason. The balcony's on Dolphin and Emerald are extended further forward than the other decks above. So everyone can look down into your personal balcony space if you're on Dolphin. However the Dolphin Balcony's form a "roof or verandah" type feeling for the Balcony's on Emerald underneath, so its private and covered from the elements.

The only down side is that they are only ME grade Mini-suites, as they are located on a low deck fully Aft of the ship. That is, you will feel the rocking of the ship a bit more, and being so low and back, you may also feel the vibration's of the ship's engine a bit (we did on our last - but was still our preference to an exposed balcony- not a deal breaker). They would be the pro's/con's you would factor in for each option....

I'll concur with rdsqrl's advice. I booked the mini-suite on Emerald deck for this reason. The balcony's on Dolphin and Emerald are extended further forward than the other decks above. So everyone can look down into your personal balcony space if you're on Dolphin. However the Dolphin Balcony's form a "roof or verandah" type feeling for the Balcony's on Emerald underneath, so its private and covered from the elements.

The only down side is that they are only ME grade Mini-suites, as they are located on a low deck fully Aft of the ship. That is, you will feel the rocking of the ship a bit more, and being so low and back, you may also feel the vibration's of the ship's engine a bit (we did on our last - but was still our preference to an exposed balcony- not a deal breaker). They would be the pro's/con's you would factor in for each option....

We are on a four day West coast in Nov. So the weather might not be that bad.I did try to get the aft end rooms on the Emerald deck but were already booked.So thought maybe mid ship on Dolphin.We have been in a sky suite on Celebrity where people could see down on our deck not a big deal to us.Was wondering what a ME grade mini suite is?? Are there some nice extras with the mini suites ?

Mini suites on the Golden are a larger cabin with a sofa and with a 9x'6' balcony. As stated, except for those on the Emerald deck 8 the balconies are open to the sky and view from above. There are no special perks for those in a mini suite except a glass of champagne on boarding. Standard balcony cabins are a little smaller without a sofa, but they are nice. Most balcony cabins have 9'x5' balconies that are fully covered, but balcony cabins on deck 10, the Caribe deck, have balconies that are 9'x9' and are half covered and half uncovered. These are the coveted balcony class cabins. Take a look at them. Closet and storage space in both minis and standard balconies is about the same, fairly large. Minis have a larger bathroom with a tub.

One other point, since you are a first time Princess cruiser, your profile will indicate just that. While it is kept a company secret, it does seem that first timers seem to get preference for cabin upgrades to lure them back.

We were in one of the Emerald mini's in 2012 and going forward that's where we book. We had E723 on the Golden and loved it. Have been in mini's for the last 6 Princess trips but first time on deck 8 and will try to get Starboard side on this deck when the ship has this available.

Remember ME cat. mini's are over a club not an issue on the starboard side we only had some bass vibration twice in 2 weeks. Port side would be over the band stand. Just booked this cabin on the Caribbean for next May as a matter of fact :D.

Realized what ME grade was right after I posted .long day. One more question about the Emerald deck I do like the rooms at the back of the boat but also like some Sun is it a full cover or partial? Thanks again

sdnich - the mini-suites that are aft on the Emerald Deck (Deck 8) are fully covered by the balconies of the mini-suites above them on Dolphin Deck (Deck 9). The balconies on the Dolphin Deck are considered fully open to the sky and viewers above you.

sdnich - the mini-suites that are aft on the Emerald Deck (Deck 8) are fully covered by the balconies of the mini-suites above them on Dolphin Deck (Deck 9). The balconies on the Dolphin Deck are considered fully open to the sky and viewers above you.

I would really love some Sun but if it rains we would have no protection.But then again I am talking about Southern Ca. Where Nov can be pretty pleasant.So I am torn.Either E718-728 aft or Ma 409-412 mid.I guess I call my TA to see what is open( or website):rolleyes:

Sun on the balcony. Direction that the ship is sailing determines when your balcony will be in the sun. Heading west the sun will be on the port side all day. East it will be starboard. North starboard in the morning and port in the afternoon. South port in the morning and starboard in the afternoon.

Sun on the balcony. Direction that the ship is sailing determines when your balcony will be in the sun. Heading west the sun will be on the port side all day. East it will be starboard. North starboard in the morning and port in the afternoon. South port in the morning and starboard in the afternoon.

I do want to see sunset on our day at sea from our balcony so starboard is good .Thanks

I do want to see sunset on our day at sea from our balcony so starboard is good .Thanks

Not necessarily. But you may be ok. On our last trip (October 2013), sea day on Golden had the ship sailing south, then north, then south...etc. Our cabin was on the starboard side, and I remember when dressing for dinner the sun was on that side. But woke up to the sunrise over Ensenada (heading north).

You may wish to check with some of the people that have done repeated trips to see if there is any specific pattern to it.

We are on a four day West coast in Nov. So the weather might not be that bad.I did try to get the aft end rooms on the Emerald deck but were already booked.So thought maybe mid ship on Dolphin.We have been in a sky suite on Celebrity where people could see down on our deck not a big deal to us.Was wondering what a ME grade mini suite is?? Are there some nice extras with the mini suites ?

Mini suite on Caribbean Princess (so same as on Golden, as far as I know) is a good-sized cabin with full-sized a sofa, coffee table and side chair in a slightly separated sitting area, with sliding doors onto the balcony. There is a lot of storage in the cabin, a desk with chair, a small vanity with mirror, and a fridge. The bathroom, though not enormous, is fully tiled and includes a bathtub (with shower). The balcony is smallish, though it has two reclining, uncushioned lounge chairs. As others have pointed out, the D deck balcony is completely uncovered, which means it offers no protection from rain or sun. One advantage of the Dolphin deck balcony for me was that it looks straight down to the sea, rather than overlooking others' balconies (as above balconies do).

Don't know what you mean by "extras," but I do know that mini-suites offer you the privilege of paying the same daily gratuity rate as suites ($.50 per day more than for a regular balcony cabin), but no "suite" perks are included.

We felt forced to book a mini-suite on Princess because it was the only way (outside of a suite) to get a sofa or loveseat and coffee table, which we had found to be normal in standard balcony cabins on other lines we had sailed, but not on Princess.

Mini suite on Caribbean Princess (so same as on Golden, as far as I know) is a good-sized cabin with full-sized a sofa, coffee table and side chair in a slightly separated sitting area, with sliding doors onto the balcony. There is a lot of storage in the cabin, a desk with chair, a small vanity with mirror, and a fridge. The bathroom, though not enormous, is fully tiled and includes a bathtub (with shower). The balcony is smallish, though it has two reclining, uncushioned lounge chairs. As others have pointed out, the D deck balcony is completely uncovered, which means it offers no protection from rain or sun. One advantage of the Dolphin deck balcony for me was that it looks straight down to the sea, rather than overlooking others' balconies (as above balconies do).

Don't know what you mean by "extras," but I do know that mini-suites offer you the privilege of paying the same daily gratuity rate as suites ($.50 per day more than for a regular balcony cabin), but no "suite" perks are included.

We felt forced to book a mini-suite on Princess because it was the only way (outside of a suite) to get a sofa or loveseat and coffee table, which we had found to be normal in standard balcony cabins on other lines we had sailed, but not on Princess.

We have to book on the D deck because all of the mini suites on the Emerald deck were booked.I do like the idea of looking down at the sea.

On Celebrity sky suite we got priority check in and disembarkation, butler and access to Blu restaurant that we loved.They were nice extras and probably get more if we booked a full suite on Princess but it was double the price.Too much for a long weekend.Do you know if the balcony opens to our friends room next door?

We have to book on the D deck because all of the mini suites on the Emerald deck were booked.I do like the idea of looking down at the sea.

On Celebrity sky suite we got priority check in and disembarkation, butler and access to Blu restaurant that we loved.They were nice extras and probably get more if we booked a full suite on Princess but it was double the price.Too much for a long weekend.Do you know if the balcony opens to our friends room next door?

Sorry, can't help with that.