Nasal irrigation

snowmaiden

My doctor has asked me to do nasal irrigation every day for a month to see if it helps me. I need to use distilled water heated up to right around body temperature and then add a packet of saline solution. I just realized that there won't be a microwave on the ship for me to heat up the water. I suppose I could use warm tap water, but I'm concerned that it won't be pure enough. I'm sure out of everybody reading this, someone else has dealt with this problem. How did you handle it?

(The devil on my shoulder is telling me to just skip it during the cruise, since I don't feel it's doing me any good and I really hate the sensation it causes, but I'm trying to listen to the angel on the other shoulder instead.)

My doctor has asked me to do nasal irrigation every day for a month to see if it helps me. I need to use distilled water heated up to right around body temperature and then add a packet of saline solution. I just realized that there won't be a microwave on the ship for me to heat up the water. I suppose I could use warm tap water, but I'm concerned that it won't be pure enough. I'm sure out of everybody reading this, someone else has dealt with this problem. How did you handle it?

(The devil on my shoulder is telling me to just skip it during the cruise, since I don't feel it's doing me any good and I really hate the sensation it causes, but I'm trying to listen to the angel on the other shoulder instead.)

Absolutely do not use tap water from the ship for nasal irrigation. I am unable to give you medical advice via the internet but you cannot use tap water. Bring bottled distilled water and (before opening and breaking the seal) place the bottle in a sink full of hot water or under the shower with hot water running to bring up to temperature. If you have any questions, consult with your physician, but DO NOT use ship water. That could lead to other, more serious issues.

Princess will provide you with distilled water on request, at no charge. Comes in a gallon jug so you will have ample for the cruise. You could take along a small container of some sort and pour some of the distilled water into it, then heat it up a bit by standing it in a glass of hot tap water, or the sink. Or take along a lightweight plastic tub, like the disposable glad or ziploc rigid containers. They are so light and would take up no room in your luggage.

I used my neti pot all winter in the Emerald Princess. I did request distilled water at first, but it was so unlike what I do at home (which is use heated distilled water) that I couldn't get used to it. The water from the tap is distilled water with a little salt added back. I asked and was told by the ship's doctor it was safe to use in a neti pot. There is no risk of it having a bacteria that can invade your brain, which is the risk of using tap water at home. I had no trouble after I started using the water from the tap with a nasal saline packet.

The reason that you can't get cold water from a tap on board is that the water (either treated ocean water, or water from shore- the ship uses both) has been super heated. This process kills any harmful germs making it safe to use.

I used my neti pot all winter in the Emerald Princess. I did request distilled water at first, but it was so unlike what I do at home (which is use heated distilled water) that I couldn't get used to it. The water from the tap is distilled water with a little salt added back. I asked and was told by the ship's doctor it was safe to use in a neti pot. There is no risk of it having a bacteria that can invade your brain, which is the risk of using tap water at home. I had no trouble after I started using the water from the tap with a nasal saline packet.

The reason that you can't get cold water from a tap on board is that the water (either treated ocean water, or water from shore- the ship uses both) has been super heated. This process kills any harmful germs making it safe to use.

Again, this is not great advice. I would advise you to talk to your physician. The standard for nasal irrigation is distilled water with your saline packet added. It is not a great idea to take medical advice from an online forum. There are numerous issues that can result from improper irrigation, not just an amoeba concern (which is not likely using the ships water).

As in all items medical related go by your doctors instructions. If in doubt before the cruise ask your doctor. If in doubt on the cruise do not do it or consult the ships doctor.

I also do the nasal irrigation year round. I once thought I would try tap water, but it really "stung" so I stopped. Like you, I sometimes wonder if it's worth it as I don't really feel any different by doing the procedure - but I'm sure it does help somewhat. When I'm on a cruise however, I just forget about doing it, leave all that "stuff" behind and I get along fine with just taking all my other meds for my allergies.:)

Bring your own distilled water, as suggested above, and a 1-cup immersion heater, e.g., http://www.amazon.com/Heater-Portable-Immersion-Voltage-Beverage/dp/B000VK0DRY/ref=pd_sim_a_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J1JH71TD1X0FEEBXCVC

Happy snorting;)

Insuring the heater is always sterile prior to use!!:confused:

Cato :)

For a week or two, I would think that using non-aerosol Simply Saline in cans would be the most similar and the most easy. In the past (we cruise for months at a time), I never took my neti pot, but just used the saline in cans. But this winter, the neti pot made a huge difference in my wellness. I had far fewer sinus infections and URIs than I'd had in the past. I think the AC used to give me grief.

If you're not certain, talk with the ship's doctor. I also spoke with the Chief Engineer...every drop of water from the ship's tap is distilled water with a little salt added back for taste. It doesn't even have chlorine in it. I learned it was much safer than getting ocean water in my eyes and up my nose, and I was doing that nearly every day while swimming and snorkeling and diving.

Wow, some misinformation here, both from the poster and the doctor. Ship's water is not 100% distilled. Some is distilled from the evaporators, some is desalinated from the reverse osmosis watermakers, and some is from shore sources. In one sentence, you say the water is distilled, and the next you say the ship gets water from shore. While, as I say, both are true, it sort of defeats your argument about the water being distilled. In addition to the residual salt content of the RO water, the biggest concern I would have about running ship's water up my nose, is the residual chlorine that is in the water. This is probably what made a PP's nose "sting" when using tap water.

The reason that the water does not run cold is not because it has been super heated. The water is not super heated to kill germs, that is what the chlorine added to the water is for. And no salt is added back to the water. The most common chemical added to the ships water is calcium carbonate, an ingredient in antacids. This is to Ph balance the water.

The reason the water does not run cold is because:

1. The water is stored in tanks in the engine room, where the ambient temperature around the tanks is 70F+.

2. Unlike the water pipes coming to your home, the pipes on the ships are not buried underground, where the temperature is usually 50F in most areas of the US. The pipes on the ship are in the spaces of the ship, which have an average temperature of 70F.

3. Unlike the water at your home, the water onboard is constantly being pumped from the tanks, to the water piping in your hallway (the length of the ship, from which your cabin piping branches), and back to the tanks. The energy added to the water by the pump, and the friction of the water flowing in the pipes tends to raise the water temperature farther.

Wow, it seems I really opened a can of worms here. The first time I started a thread on CC, I was really afraid of getting flamed, but everyone was actually very nice and polite, which made think it would be safe to post this question. I guess my luck had to break at some point!

First of all, I have no intention of using anything but distilled water. My husband has requested some for his CPAP anyway, so having access to it throughout the cruise will not be a problem. (On the last cruise we took, he only used a tiny amount of the gallon of distilled water they gave him over the course of the week, so I'm sure there will be plenty to go around.) I am also not asking whether I should do nasal irrigation or what kind of solution I should use. My doctor has already answered those questions to my satisfaction. I was simply asking if there was an easy way to warm the water without a microwave. If answering that question seems too much like "dispensing medical advice" to some people, then all I can say is that I would hate to find myself in conversation with any of them over dinner, as the list of topics they would feel qualified to talk about is probably pretty small! (The example I'm imagining right now: "How was the weather today in port?" "I don't know. I can't say, as I'm not a meteorologist.")

Thanks to those people who suggested I warm the distilled water by heat transfer. That makes a lot of sense to me, so I'll try it the first night and see how it goes. Sorry to have started such a tempest in a teapot. (Or should I say Neti-pot?)

But both devices, irons and coil heaters, can easily overheat a ship's frail electric wiring due to their high voltage draw.

If overheated, the wires can start smoking, or even worse, ignite and start a fire.

Think about having a ship crippled due to a fire caused by a prohibited item?

If answering that question seems too much like "dispensing medical advice" to some people, then all I can say is that I would hate to find myself in conversation with any of them over dinner, as the list of topics they would feel qualified to talk about is probably pretty small!

I want to apologize if I came across as rude! There are professional restrictions for medical practitioners dispensing "medical advice" so I just wanted to be clear that I was not doing that. Hopefully some of the posts helped you figure out your concern.

And my wife would probably agree with you about my dinner conversation! She often rolls her eyes at me when I get technical about something.:D

I used my neti pot all winter in the Emerald Princess. I did request distilled water at first, but it was so unlike what I do at home (which is use heated distilled water) that I couldn't get used to it. The water from the tap is distilled water with a little salt added back.

Princess buys water in some ports as well. From-time-to-time you can

see the bunkering in Ft. Lauderdale. In that case, what you have would

be simply city water.

I would just buy the Arm and Hammer Simply Saline in the non aerosol can. It works very well and is easy to pack for travel.

It is also easy to warm under running water.

And I would certainly trust the ship's doctor before I would any information gleaned from the Cruise Critic message boards.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

Princess buys water in some ports as well. From-time-to-time you can

see the bunkering in Ft. Lauderdale. In that case, what you have would

be simply city water.

It is still treated. It is not deemed safe enough for potable water. I specifically asked this question for this reason.

It is still treated. It is not deemed safe enough for potable water. I specifically asked this question for this reason.

That is what I have been told more than once on a bridge tour as well.

Anything like water, fuel etc undergoes strict analysis and treatment before use. Princess could not afford to do otherwise.

Mike:)

For a week or two, I would think that using non-aerosol Simply Saline in cans would be the most similar and the most easy. In the past (we cruise for months at a time), I never took my neti pot, but just used the saline in cans. But this winter, the neti pot made a huge difference in my wellness. I had far fewer sinus infections and URIs than I'd had in the past. I think the AC used to give me grief.

If you're not certain, talk with the ship's doctor. I also spoke with the Chief Engineer...every drop of water from the ship's tap is distilled water with a little salt added back for taste. It doesn't even have chlorine in it. I learned it was much safer than getting ocean water in my eyes and up my nose, and I was doing that nearly every day while swimming and snorkeling and diving.

Wow. Not sure I'd get back on that ship, if that's what the Chief Engineer thinks. Even if every drop of water was distilled (and they don't re-distill the shore water they take on), it is a USPH requirement (or WHO for those ships not calling at a US port) that all water whether distilled or desalinated be chlorinated before it goes into the storage tanks, and that the water in circulation onboard must have a residual chlorine level (at the farthest point from the chlorination point, typically charted on the bridge) of 0.5ppm. All shore water is also chlorinated, before it is pumped to the storage tanks, and this water is further isolated until a fecal coliform bacteria test is done (18-24 hours) to ensure it is safe to drink.

Are you saying that the shore water is not safe to drink? What pray tell do they use it for? Sorry, but it all goes to storage tanks, and the piping system is common for all uses onboard: sinks, showers, toilets, bars, restaurants, ice machines, deck washing, window washing, etc, etc. There are only three water systems that are allowed to use non-potable water: The pulper system (a centralized garbage disposal system that recirculates its own water; the engine room for the A/C chilled water system, and engine cooling water, etc; and some ships take the condensate from the A/C system and use that in the main laundry.

Are you saying that the shore water is not safe to drink? What pray tell do they use it for? Sorry, but it all goes to storage tanks, and the piping system is common for all uses onboard: sinks, showers, toilets, bars, restaurants, ice machines, deck washing, window washing, etc, etc. There are only three water systems that are allowed to use non-potable water: The pulper system (a centralized garbage disposal system that recirculates its own water; the engine room for the A/C chilled water system, and engine cooling water, etc; and some ships take the condensate from the A/C system and use that in the main laundry.

Do you think they take on water from an island like Dominica, and then send it through to passenger cabins immediately? Of course not.