Impressed, Dissapointed and a little scared about recent Inspiration Trip

He said he reported it to the staff near the hot tub. I did not see where the OP said they reported it to guest services, any of the security staff, or the medical staff. From what I understand. and what others here have confirmed, is that the people that were notified wouldn't have done much anyways as they don't have the authority to do much

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a public forum, intended for discussion. The OP witnessed a situation that was unfortunate and wanted input on how others would have handled this situation. He was under no obligation to take action.

Not to feed the bears on all the other items, but this is exactly why I posted this. The reason I said it was lucky to all that he did not fall and crack his skull on the stairs of the Jacuzzi is that I am sure everyone that paid to have a relaxing vacation, did not need to have that happen. Drunk guy included. No one needs to fall and crack their head not see someone bleeding and unconscious on a cruise ship. So it would affect everyone.

Now a little more back story, apparently we found out late that last night from another couple that the man had a fight with his wife on the first day and his wife and small kid were on the ship. They saw her try to get him to come out from the upper deck.

The reason I didn't add that was that everyone would say his wife should have called security when he didn't return or leave the tub. True. And obviously that didn't happen because he there all day all the time. Soaking and drinking. Like chengkp75 said "imposing cultural heritage". I think this is a valid point. Watch videos on the internet of indifference to accidents or people in distress from some countries and its common. Here in America we too, don't like to get involved, but read about it online or see it on tv to be a part of it.

Plenty of people there said nothing at all but to fellow passengers as they switched hot tubs. We told multiple staff, including the one that brought him the bucket of drinks he signed for after being shaken awake. He said he would tell someone then left. 20 min passed and then someone else came to that station and started their shift. We mentioned to him, and he talked with the guy, he was able to talk enough to talk, then the staff member said guy was ok. Guy raised his drink and smiled to everyone.

That was part of why he was there so long. He wasn't doing anything but singing loudly and soaking and drinking No naughty stuff, profanity or assaulting other passengers. It was just clear there was something bad with this guy.

With the potential for bad things to happen at sea, I would think the ships staff would be on it more. At all levels. That is why they have their jobs, is by keeping the passengers safe and having fun. Both were being overlooked.

The comment about seeing someone trip at the store and would you do something. Add to that if the person was stone drunk and singing show tunes, falling down in the store. Would you then ? Or tell an employee so they could get security of the cops ?

It's like seeing someone at a bar falling down. Do you help the person up to their seat so they can keep drinking, or tell the bartender to stop serving them ? Or because its a business at risk, they protect themselves by paying attention to the people they serve and how much they are drinking.

I had to wonder if that because the people working on the ship are not on vacation, and see people drink and eat and whatever to excess all the time, they feel people get what they get . Like you come on and drink 10 fun ships, a bucket of beer then pass out at the lido table in your pizza, then that's your vacation. Same as the family eating ice cream by the pool. That's their vacation. My job is to clean the tables or to fix the juice machine, not to care about some one wasting money on a cruise.

That much alcohol and that many hours equal swimming in his own personal toilet............

I'm guessing if someone suggested to guest services that this was clearly a safety and environmental issue........ something would have been done.

It is kinda sad........on so many levels

I totally agree with you! I wouldn't have quit until I found someone that would have done something. It is reprehensible to me that the staff would have kept giving him alcohol knowing how long and how out of it the guy was. Totally not acceptable. No one should be in a Jacuzzi for that long...ever. He could have died.:eek: I don't care if it is "his vacation" or not...if someone is doing something dangerous...and staying in a Jacuzzi for as long as the OP mentioned is terribly dangerous...then I would have butt in and said something. Especially since the guy was obviously not in a state of mind to make a responsible live-saving decision himself. My conscience just wouldn't allow me to move over to the other Jacuzzi and leave the guy is such a state. I would have gone out of my way to make sure he was taken care of. That's just wrong to leave the guy there. If all this is true, and I have no reason to doubt the OP, the staff acted in a very irresponsible way and that's very disappointing to hear. I don't care what culture the guy comes from or what culture anyone comes from...if a person is in danger, it's your moral obligation to help him or get someone to help him. JMHO!

Edited by mousey

He said he reported it to the staff near the hot tub. I did not see where the OP said they reported it to guest services, any of the security staff, or the medical staff. From what I understand. and what others here have confirmed, is that the people that were notified wouldn't have done much anyways as they don't have the authority to do much

Correct, I did not report it to anyone other than the staff at Serenity. I trusted that they would handle it from there, as they are trained for those things and have plans and procedures. I did not think those procedures included me having to go to multiple decks of the ship, or crew areas to report the problem. I do not have a hand held radio or access to the ships communication system for staff and security. I don't think that on a ship that large they rely on passenger relay for communication between staff departments.

In all honesty it was a mental health issue. When we told staff I was not aware of that part, I just figured he was alone, drunk and strange. It wasn't until late the second night we saw him another couple came out and said wow he is still here and told us about the wife. Had I known I would have added that to what I told staff, because its a mental health issue more than anything now. The passengers that told us had not reported it earlier, just moved tubs.

And this isn't like helping someone up that has fallen. This is someone that could possibly get violent, aggressive, or combative. For a fellow passenger to assume that risk, I am sure is not in the manual or procedure. Advising the staff of a fellow passengers issues is a duty we all have. If I was in medical distress I would hope a fellow passenger would notify staff, but not expect them to give me CPR or start treatment, but wait for the appropriate staff to take over. Because we are on a floating city with its own medical staff.

But when do drink quotas or specials, or its easier to just keep serving him that to tell him to get out... Or what if they knew and if he got out, he is back at the cabin fighting with the wife. So they kept him there. I have no idea. All just speculations. Bottom line is the guys wife should have told them about his mental status and how long he has been there. They might have offered him an alternative instead of letting him soak in it. Instead they served him drinks. People that serve booze are supposed to be trained to see behavior in people. I thought on a ship with the liability and passengers jumping off and what not, that would have happened is all.

I agree, the most reprehensible aspect of this story is the fact that the staff continued to serve him alcohol and according to the OP would actually wake him up to sign the check! That is absolutely outrageous!:eek: Anyone that serves alcohol should know when someone is that drunk, you don't just continue to serve them. They should have alerted someone in charge about the man's condition and asked if they should continue to serve him or not. As far as I'm concerned...it was the staff's responsibility to get help for this passenger. I also find it reprehensible that someone would see the man's condition and say nothing and just move over to another hot tub. :confused:

As an ER/ Trauma RN, I would have gone to security, the ships medical staff right on up to the captain. This is serious passenger neglect and represents a serious misunderstanding, on the part of the alcohol serving staff, of the harm that was being done to this passenger, even though he needs to be held responsible also.

I love seeing passengers drinking and spending countless amounts of time in the "hot tubes" with no concern as to what their blood pressure is doing or how close they may be to a syncopal episode. :(

Edited by PROCRUISE

I saw something similar on the NCL pearl. I guess the only thing you could have done is reported it to security. Usually you can always see them strolling around. As much as i love sailing on carnival and defend them. I sure hope they scrubbed that hot tub and sanitized it good. Because you know the saying what goes in must come out.

You took the words right out of my mouth...one GIGANTIC toilet.

Ditto on the toilet and somebody from Carnival needed to step up to the plate and deal with this guy. Maybe start serving him virgin drinks and then when he half way sobers up try to talk sense to him because if he is as drunk as I think he was you will create one heck of a scene dealing with him when he is blind drunk.

I am no prude and believe me I get plenty wasted around my house but it really is a shame people have to drink to that excess and ruin everyones fun. We spent a ton of money on a house warming party and it was completely ruined by a very good ex friend of mine. I forgave him but he just can't seem to forgive himself.

Edited by Tutontow

Correct, I did not report it to anyone other than the staff at Serenity. I trusted that they would handle it from there, as they are trained for those things and have plans and procedures. I did not think those procedures included me having to go to multiple decks of the ship, or crew areas to report the problem. I do not have a hand held radio or access to the ships communication system for staff and security. I don't think that on a ship that large they rely on passenger relay for communication between staff departments.

In all honesty it was a mental health issue. When we told staff I was not aware of that part, I just figured he was alone, drunk and strange. It wasn't until late the second night we saw him another couple came out and said wow he is still here and told us about the wife. Had I known I would have added that to what I told staff, because its a mental health issue more than anything now. The passengers that told us had not reported it earlier, just moved tubs.

And this isn't like helping someone up that has fallen. This is someone that could possibly get violent, aggressive, or combative. For a fellow passenger to assume that risk, I am sure is not in the manual or procedure. Advising the staff of a fellow passengers issues is a duty we all have. If I was in medical distress I would hope a fellow passenger would notify staff, but not expect them to give me CPR or start treatment, but wait for the appropriate staff to take over. Because we are on a floating city with its own medical staff.

But when do drink quotas or specials, or its easier to just keep serving him that to tell him to get out... Or what if they knew and if he got out, he is back at the cabin fighting with the wife. So they kept him there. I have no idea. All just speculations. Bottom line is the guys wife should have told them about his mental status and how long he has been there. They might have offered him an alternative instead of letting him soak in it. Instead they served him drinks. People that serve booze are supposed to be trained to see behavior in people. I thought on a ship with the liability and passengers jumping off and what not, that would have happened is all.

Soo...you aren't trained to go down to say, Guest Services, when you saw that nothing was being done? I'm not knocking you, just asking what sort of training you think is required to notify someone when a person is in obvious need of help?

You are right, they probably don't rely on passenger relay for communication, BUT once again when you saw NOTHING being done, did it no become apparent that there was no relaying of anything?

And who said you should have gone and manhandled him out of the hot tub to his room? Well, I didn't say that...BUT you could have notified someone that would have done something.

Bottom line, if that was you, or your loved one, wouldn't you want someone to do the same? Or would you prefer that people just keep getting you drinks and letting you stew in your own filth?

There is a telephone in a yellow colored box mounted to the bulkhead behind the port side hot tub in Serenity on Fantasy class ships. If the Serenity staff wouldn't deal I would have picked up the phone and told the PBX operator the situation and suggest that they contact a supervisor in security to come investigate the incident in progress.

There is a telephone in a yellow colored box mounted to the bulkhead behind the port side hot tub in Serenity on Fantasy class ships. If the Serenity staff wouldn't deal I would have picked up the phone and told the PBX operator the situation and suggest that they contact a supervisor in security to come investigate the incident in progress.

Good idea...and add..if willing, in a firm voice "If nobody comes immediately I will be reporting this to Hotel manager, Senior security, and the Medical team and authorities when I disembark...we have a seriously possible fatality and passive aggressive severely inebriated person who has been drinking in hot tub all day as confirmed by many passengers. "

I hope Carnival and other lines are reading this....

Just like the kids who died in the water..here we go again...

As a vacationer , no , getting physical is not your problem and at this level working with the guy may be too much..but there have to be security who are trained enough in all the mental health issues for short term security of person and turn over to authorities on the return to home port. Perhaps better than my other idea which is not this level..it is down the pike a sober room is needed or a safe managed medicated facility protocol until they get to hospital mental health triage at final destination with authorities...they have to have a room for these crisis situations and a plan...we passengers should be assured they do.

I am just brainstorming I do not know what plans are there...but this makes one think...NONE.

We need a place for the sick sick drunks and addicts and psychotic issues....unfortunately...and more security that the lines are being trained in these small city disasters...changes ones idea about the bigger ships or at least sobers ones thoughts..here we are on what used to be large and is now a medium size ship and think about it on the 6000 passenger ones ....more people, more problems...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

To be honest, I have no idea what I would have done. That leads me to the conclusion that I have no right judging your actions. It sounds like a sad and disgusting situation, and I am sorry you had to be involved in something like that.

Hardly an "environmental" issue. OP stated that because he was acting obnoxiously in the hot tub that this became a "safety" issue? That everyone was lucky he didn't fall and hurt himself? He's lucky, not sure why it affected everyone else.

It IS an environmental and safety issue...if he were to somehow get out and the cesspool not cleaned or closed immediately, some other cruiser could have gone in for a nice soak...in urine.

Soaking this long depletes electrolytes to the point a person can die without medical assistance. I've seen it in the ER more than once.

I would have reported it to Guest Services and would have insisted someone from GS, Security or Medical attend to the issue immediately as he was clearly ill.

Good to know, thank you. I am on this same ship in July.

This is a serious health issue and the bar staff should should be trained on the effects of alcohol poisoning IMO.

I thought even carnival bartenders had a right to refuse to serve someone obviously too drunk to be of sound mind , ie signing charge slips while so wasted amounts to stealing.

Hardly an "environmental" issue. OP stated that because he was acting obnoxiously in the hot tub that this became a "safety" issue? That everyone was lucky he didn't fall and hurt himself? He's lucky, not sure why it affected everyone else.

It IS an environmental and safety issue...if he were to somehow get out and the cesspool not cleaned or closed immediately, some other cruiser could have gone in for a nice soak...in urine.

Soaking this long depletes electrolytes to the point a person can die without medical assistance. I've seen it in the ER more than once.

I would have reported it to Guest Services and would have insisted someone from GS, Security or Medical attend to the issue immediately as he was clearly ill.

How about a health issue. What harm is he doing to the environment? It's his health, not other's safety that is at issue. Do you know how high the chlorine content is required to be in those hot tubs? 8-10ppm, far higher than your backyard hot tub. Reporting it as you stated would have been the proper course, not sure how much "insisting" would have accomplished. People must remember that once onboard the ship, you are not in Kansas anymore, and US laws (for the most part), regulations, and mores do not necessarily apply. Do I like flags of convenience? No, which is why I've only sailed on US flag ships for my career, just telling it like it is.

Edited by chengkp75

How about a health issue. What harm is he doing to the environment? It's his health, not other's safety that is at issue. Do you know how high the chlorine content is required to be in those hot tubs? 8-10ppm, far higher than your backyard hot tub. Reporting it as you stated would have been the proper course, not sure how much "insisting" would have accomplished. People must remember that once onboard the ship, you are not in Kansas anymore, and US laws (for the most part), regulations, and mores do not necessarily apply. Do I like flags of convenience? No, which is why I've only sailed on US flag ships for my career, just telling it like it is.

Are we...well holding my vernacular, stupid to hope for better or known protocols then...given the different "flags of convenience"....Asking earnestly here...

Edited by sjn911

This is listed in the Fun Times.

HELP US HELP YOU

The goal of all the Officers, Staff and Crew on board the Carnival

____ is to provide you with a memorable and fun-filled vacation. If

for any reason we have not met your expectations, please contact

a Guest Services Associate at extension 7777. We welcome your

feedback and will work to resolve any issue immediately.

Edited by Kcarp

We went to dinner, and after went back for a soak at 1030p and there he was, alone in the same place, couple of empty ice buckets around him and plastic glasses. Only now, he was so messed up he was passing out into the water. He tried to get out and fell back in and only came to when he hit the water. So someone was serving him all day, all night, and he had to be boiled by then. Dehydrated from the soak for sure. We all said something to the staff there about him, at least to check on his welfare, and the guy was able to talk enough I guess that they didn't care. Not one passenger that saw him was ok with this. This was the second night of the trip. So then a couple joins us and says OMG that guy is still here ! Apparently he was there all day the first day and night too. The same thing. All of us were more concerned with his well being than if he was going to cause a problem or start something. He was not violent or out of control at all. Just a 40yo drunk man singing teenage ballads and falling face first in the water for 12 hours a day after 20 tequila sunrises.

Okay, so where did he pee if he didn't get out of the hot tub? :eek: Maybe someone already asked this, I haven't read the other responses yet. With that being said, the Inspiration is the worse Carnival ship in the fleet. Did a b2b and never again. Just waiting for another cruise ship to come to LB. I can only imagine what happened healthwise in that hot tub!

Are we...well holding my vernacular, stupid to hope for better or known protocols then...given the different "flags of convenience"....Asking earnestly here...

Just naïve. Flags of convenience are used for one reason only: money. The countries whose flag flies on most of the world's cruise ships (and most of the world's shipping in general) don't care about much other than taking in the registry fee every year for the ship. They are forced to adhere to the IMO's regulations, but how well they enforce those regulations is the real question. The liability laws, medical malpractice laws, and consumer laws are those of the flag state. US laws generally only apply to US citizens if a crime has been committed against a US citizen, on a ship whose cruise started in a US port. The venue for litigating disputes over the ticket contract are set by the cruise lines, and while many have decided to use the Florida District Court, some like Costa require all litigation to be done in Italy (I know this is under judgment now, in the Carnival Triumph case).

Alcohol acts to expand your blood vessels and increase your body temperature- much like soaking in hot water does. Alcohol in your bloodstream and soaking at the same time creates a combined effect that can be damaging. The body temperature may accelerate to dangerous levels quickly. The alcohol may cause nausea, dizziness or lightheadedness. The ultimate danger of combined alcohol consumption and hot water soaking is drowning due to loss of consciousness, heart attack or injury due to passing out and falling.

This is how our lawyer died!

My bottom line before helping somebody is that they must desire help to begin with.

It sounds like this person has decided to throw in the towel and drink until his brain and his physical health have completely fizzled out. He has made the choice.

That said, I'd be inclined to report the situation Guest Services (with a fairly good chance that they wouldn't do anything about it until I showed them video and explained that the situation needed to be taken care of or this would make a great YouTube episode...)

Unless Carnival has decided to add an assisted suicide package to their cruising options, they need to properly train each and every one of their bartenders and servers, and to enforce a policy to withhold alcohol from people who are stupidly, dangerously drunk.

Just naïve. Flags of convenience are used for one reason only: money. The countries whose flag flies on most of the world's cruise ships (and most of the world's shipping in general) don't care about much other than taking in the registry fee every year for the ship. They are forced to adhere to the IMO's regulations, but how well they enforce those regulations is the real question. The liability laws, medical malpractice laws, and consumer laws are those of the flag state. US laws generally only apply to US citizens if a crime has been committed against a US citizen, on a ship whose cruise started in a US port. The venue for litigating disputes over the ticket contract are set by the cruise lines, and while many have decided to use the Florida District Court, some like Costa require all litigation to be done in Italy (I know this is under judgment now, in the Carnival Triumph case).

Thanks...this was response to sjn911 from chengkp75)....some of the quotes are off on my screen...

Edited by sjn911

• 3 months later...

The staff should be able to reach out to a supervisor. With out a doubt I have seen many a person over served on the cruise ships.. Vacation or not, its a safety issue. What on earth would they do with a bunch of drinks, on a life boat?

If you can serve a drink you have to know when to stop serving drinks.