Cameras - Pack the Big Fancy One, or Will the Small Point & Shoot Do?

charchar1

Hi Alaska cruisers,

I'm really debating about taking the big Canon Rebel with the telephoto lens on our Alaska cruise next month. I'm wondering whether it is really worth the trouble to pack the heavy equipment, or would just the small digital camera be fine for preserving the memories?

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.

No question - take the Canon with zoom lens. You will be really sorry that you didn't. You don't have to carry it everywhere but you are going to want it along.

Enjoy your cruise :D

I agree with the others. Your point and shoot will be fine for some things, but you will regret not having your Canon camera with zoom lens if you leave it at home. Alaska offers some amazing photo opportunities!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I agree with the others - definitely take the good camera with telephoto lens. Also carry a small point & shoot. It will come in handy on the ship and inside when on some of the excursions. Be prepared for precipitation and protecting the cameras and lens.

Heading there myself in 17 days. I'm taking a BIG canon (5D mark II) and even rented a 150-600mm lens! I took one cruise without my camera and I regret it to this day.

Your Rebel has a much faster focus and shutter speed compared to a P&S...try catching a calving with a P&S and it will just be chunks of ice floating in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it's pretty unanimous - take the Rebel. I bought one for my DH specifically for our trip to Alaska. He was hemming and hawing about it, but was so thankful I insisted on it. If you are going whale watching, you can put the camera in sport mode to catch a whale breach - DH caught 3 full breaches (nose up to tail down) that way. The captain on our trip was amazed - he's taken people out multiple times over ten years and they've never caught one breach let alone 3!

We only got within 3 miles(I think, may have been further out) of the Hubbard Glacier, but DH got pictures that make it look like we were a lot closer (didn't catch any calving though).

On our Kenai Fjords trip, DH was able to get really close up pictures of the sea lions and their young at the rookery even though we were a ways off shore.

DH got some really spectacular pictures that would not have been possible with the P&S.

For giggles, go here and read "Roger's Take" all the way to the end: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/wide-angle/canon-ef-s-18-200mm-f3.5-5.6-is

We cruised in 2010 with four DSLRs and six lenses (though one never got used). We cruised in 2012 with five DSLRs and seven lenses (though the same one never got used, and one camera/lens was dedicated to shooting stills from the balcony divider for a time-lapse video). We're cruising in ~8 weeks (see below) with five DSLRs and perhaps nine lenses, from 14mm to 560mm, possibly 840mm. (obvious disclaimer: both my wife and I are serious/addicted hobbyist photographers)

Like everyone else, I say take both. Last summer we went to Yellowstone for a family reunion, I only had 3 cameras myself but used *all* of them at one point or another. A good P&S, an OK but waterproof P&S for rafting, and the DSLR with assorted glass (Pentax K100D).

For Alaska I've upgraded to a new DSLR (Pentax K-30), mainly for weather-sealing, and good glass to match (18-135). I'm also taking along my old lenses to provide wide-angle (12-24) and mid-range zoom (70-300), a 2X teleconverter to play around with, and strongly debating rental of a fixed 400mm to add in for the week. Tripod, monopod, accessory gear, and the P&S models all going too. I can't agree more with the people who say "The best camera in the world, is the one you have with you" - sometimes you may get that perfect shot and if you have that P&S in your pocket then you get it. While the DSLR sits in the cabin... So take both and you'll always have one handy! :cool:

Jim

We never travel with only one camera, you never know if something will happen to one of them. When headed to Alaska 4 years ago we spent the day before in Seattle and took only our new point and shoot with us to see the city sites, it quit working after 12 pictures, never to work again. We were so thankful for our big dsl's we also brought. There was no time for shopping to replace it, they do sell cameras on board, but not what you are looking for and way overpriced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm taking both in just a few days. I use the point and shoot for things on board, like in the dining room, where I don't want to lug the big slr and I use the slr for the scenic shots and whale watching. Absolutely worth it.

I pack 3 SDLRs - a Canon 7D (8fps fpr wildlife, calving, etc), a Canon 50D, and a Canon XTi for back up. We also have a Canon SX40HS, and usualy at least one waterproof Olympus P&S. For lenses, I carry a Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8 "L", Canon 18-200mm IS f/4-5.6, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3, and a 1.4x teleextender for the big Sigma, plus sometimes a Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 70-300m f/4-5.6 IS, and a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro. I have hundreds of photos in my Alaska trip reviews (1 complete and one in process) if you want to see if it's worth carry the extra firepower:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447 (completed)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844695 (in process)

L.J.

I pack 3 SDLRs - a Canon 7D (8fps fpr wildlife, calving, etc), a Canon 50D, and a Canon XTi for back up. We also have a Canon SX40HS, and usualy at least one waterproof Olympus P&S. For lenses, I carry a Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8 "L", Canon 18-200mm IS f/4-5.6, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3, and a 1.4x teleextender for the big Sigma, plus sometimes a Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 70-300m f/4-5.6 IS, and a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro. I have hundreds of photos in my Alaska trip reviews (1 complete and one in process) if you want to see if it's worth carry the extra firepower:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447 (completed)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844695 (in process)

L.J.

Your pictures are AMAZING!!!!

I just got a supercompact Canon Powershot SX700HS. 30X optical zoom; 60X digital without losing resolution; still fits in a pocket.

DH just upgraded his compact to a Canon SX50HS 50X optical zoom. We would've held out for the 100X Canon is reportedly coming out with, but we wanted an upgrade for our upcoming DIY trip. We plan to be hiking a lot, so not hauling around lenses is a choice for reduced fussing.

If you are into the long lenses and don't mind switching them on and off, do indeed take your best cameras. We go by the adage that 'the best camera is the one you'll have in your hand', and so we go with self-contained units.

Edited by azevedan

With all due respect, you could thin the herd easily and not really notice a difference. Leave the XTi home, the 1.4x TC, and either the 70-300 or the 70-200 (you already have an 18-200 and a 150-500).

I've taken our 16-35 on cruises twice, and both times I saw it collect dust, as we had either a 10-22 or a 14/2.8, plus a 24-70/2.8 and/or a 24-105/4. I'm at least glad that I'm now at a point where I have three cameras that run on one kind of battery, so the spares are much easier.

For our first trip to Alaska I used my Canon Powershot point and shoot and came home with great pix. The next we went I had a Rebel with a great telephoto lens and got super pix. really, no comparison.

Take the Rebel and snap away.

Cheers

Len