Rumor Alert : Oceania Newbuild Order Coming Soon ?

Andy

Strange, but I had dreamed/imagined/thought that at one point (and this would be over a year ago) a name for a new O ship had been announced/shared/leaked ..... If hondorner or Stan/Jim don't know of it, tho - it clearly was a delusion on my part!!!!

When they contracted the new builds I believe they had an option on a third. At some point that would expire so either build a new one or not.

It would be great, and not a small task as it would involve changing the layout of adjoining spaces, if they take the opportunity to redesign the theatre. They replaced a great multi-function space with a barely good theatre (lousy sight lines especially at the back, those arm trays, no dance floor, loosely for any social function, etc., etc.)

It would be my guess that as the new larger ships are brought on line, the R ships will be retired or sold. Fuel prices continue to rise, and the differential in fuel use in the smaller R ships to the O ships is not significant.

I've been hearing reports that many lines are having trouble filling their ships, including Oceania. Many routes, such as Alaska, the Carribe, and the Baltics, have been oversaturated for several years and interest is waning. Adding new capacity is a gutsy call. Of course, O could send us sales pamphlets once a month, instead of twice a week, and save a small fortune.!:D

Since I read this thread I have been scribbling down suitable names,,,, can't come up with many though. I find myself just putting 'a' on the end of any attractive sounding word! More like Esperanto!

Resplenda

Qualita

Majesta

Livraria

Who gets the well paid job of naming the ship!

Why are we getting so hung up and wasting time on names? We should be talking about what changes would make the new ships even better. like putting a full curtain in the penthouses and moving the paddle tennis court to the stern so it is useable on sea days. As nice as the O ships are they can always be improved. :):):)

Why are we getting so hung up and wasting time on names? We should be talking about what changes would make the new ships even better. :):):)

There is no such thing as wasting time on Cruise Critic.

and they STILL would like to buy another R ship. (acc to the GM, in April 2014)

That would make 3 Rs, 3 Os, and a 4th R if they can buy one.

Wait a year and the 2 R ships Azamara has will be available. RCCL has not ever spent any money on the ships or committing to the AZ brand with back office support. Also the RCCL new builds coming the next three years will take all of their capital expenditure budget. AZ is a figurative pimple on RCCL' s behind. If O would make an offer, the ships could be had at very reasonable costs in my opinion.

Wait a year and the 2 R ships Azamara has will be available. RCCL has not ever spent any money on the ships or committing to the AZ brand with back office support. Also the RCCL new builds coming the next three years will take all of their capital expenditure budget. AZ is a figurative pimple on RCCL' s behind. If O would make an offer, the ships could be had at very reasonable costs in my opinion.

Only if Edie Bornstein doesn't snap them up first. ;)

AZ has their 2016 schedule out already for booking. IF O or Crystal were to acquire them do you think the 2016 itineraries would remain as planned? I must say they have some great itineraries!

AZ has their 2016 schedule out already for booking. IF O or Crystal were to acquire them do you think the 2016 itineraries would remain as planned? I must say they have some great itineraries!

That's the problem.....who knows? :cool:

Even under the Azamara banner I worry. When the Quest had that fire, they didn't even try to replace her with a charter, they just ran the Journey alone for something like four or five months.....