Whale Watching - who to use?

pal

I was hoping for a better experience going through a private company vs. the cruise ship's company. Who's better? First time visit, and want to get the best bang for the buck.

Harv and Marc were very easy to work with in Juneau. You'll be practically on a private tour as our boat maxed out at 6 guests. Their boats are nimble so you can chase down the whales pretty quickly once spotted.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

We just returned from our cruise on May 16 and we used F.I.S.H.E.S in Icy Strait Point. We were his first trip of the 2014 season. Max capacity on the boat was 6 people and they were unbelievable people to deal with. They treated us like family from start to finish. We seen breaching humpbacks, porpoise, a grizzly, sea lions, puffins, and i lost count of how many bald eagles. We got amazing pictures as Floyd (The captain) never rushed us and was very informative and asked us what we would like. It was far more reasonable than booking through the ship and far more personal. Our 6 year old son was with us and he had an experience of a lifetime as did my wife and I !! I'm sure there are others that are good also, but this was our experience. Hope this helps...

In Juneau it's Harv and Marv. They are awesome and it's kind of a hoot to see the big cruise ship excursions boats lumbering along with 200 people jammed on the rails while you zip over to the whales in your small boat with six people on it!

We used Glacier Winds in Icy Strait Point. They were wonderful. The boat only took 6 people so my family of 5 were the only ones on the boat. We had a wonderful day. When the whales we were first watching dove down for a long time, Sean (our captain) took us to a different area further out than the cruise excursions go and we were able to watch a baby humpback breaching and playing. We were the only ones out there and it was absolutely wonderful! Theresa (Sean's wife) equips the boat with homemade salmon dip and some chips and drinks (non-alcoholic). The smoked salmon dip was soooooooo delicious! They really are very personable and I would book with them again in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Juneau from 1-10. Have whale watching booked with Capt. Larry at Orca for 3pm. Is it possible to do Mendenhall after the tour? I think I read somewhere the visitor center closes at 7 but can we hike the trails etc between 6 and say 8ish and then get public transport or a shuttle back to the ship?

We went with Captain Larry and Josh from Orc Ent. in Juneau. We highly recommend them. Yes a few more people than 6 (13 I think, but the boat is still small but spacious enough to move around. They also had viewing on top of the boat. Capt Larry, knew where to take us!

We had friends that just caught a tour at the docks and they went with a small private boat. There were a number of these tours in small boats and all boats pretty much end up in the same viewing area. They watch and call each other, so everyone gets to see the same whales if you are in the vicinity.

If you are not good in small boats - take the cruise ship tour as they get pretty close as well, but they are slower, so takes a while to get out to the whales. Sometimes they get closer as you never know where the whales might surface.

But make sure you go! A highlight for sure!

2 of the purple Orca Enterprises boats

14196335779_74830b23e6_c.jpg

Sometimes lots of boats around

14196365008_878c10eaaa_c.jpg

Capt Larry (a whale expert) and tour guide Josh of Orca Enterprises.

14379654981_40b70d252d_c.jpg

An Orca boat - A very comfortable ride and there is outside viewing as well

14196359509_23ed5c49d2_c.jpg