An Observation re Center Staircases

Hlitner

Not quite.

The center elevator bank includes four regular elevators and two "Panoramic" elevators. One set of buttons calls all four of the regular elevators which go from decks 4 to 15. The two panoramic elevators go from decks 5 to 15.

Yes. I mistakenly described the aft elevators.

While I normally use the stairs, and hated the lack of the central staircase on the Royal...I broke a little toe a week before our recent Alaska cruise so I had to stick to the elevator. I was barely able to get shoes of any sort on by time we left home The pressure on my toe going down to the next step hurt lots, and seemed to cause the toe to swell again.

My dh wants to wrap me in bubble wrap before our BI cruise in August since this is the 2nd break I've had a week before a cruise. The orthopedic guy took pity on me in 2012 and let me stay in the black boot instead of making me have a hard cast (broken ankle).

The cost saving to Princess is ridiculous, can there be another reason. It can't be money.

That was the reason as given by Princess. There was enormous pressure to contain costs and the cost of making the stairway passenger friendly (carpeting, for example) was one of the cuts made.

Edited by caribill

That was the reason as given by Princess. There was enormous pressure to contain costs and the cost of making the stairway passenger friendly (carpeting, for example) was one of the cuts made.

And according to the engineer who spoke about the construction of the Royal Princess that enormous pressure came from the very top...Micky Arison. He sets a price but will not pay for any cost overruns resulting in some things originally planned being eliminated.

Madness. You would be better losing a front or rear staircase rather than the middle.

And according to the engineer who spoke about the construction of the Royal Princess that enormous pressure came from the very top...Micky Arison. He sets a price but will not pay for any cost overruns resulting in some things originally planned being eliminated.

Good grief...I wish they had lost the fountains and instead carpeted the mid-ship stairs.

I am just off the Royal and the lack of central staircase was a BIG issue for me! I prefer only to use stairs, however my room was central so it made no sense for me to walk all the way to the end to use the stairs when there is a central elevator. it was maddening!!!! I HATED not having those stairs. the elevators are a PITA for several reasons. before my cruise I thought people were just whining but now that I've experienced it myself I realize they are right!

Thank you.

I always us the stairs. It keeps me from gaining weight while cruising, EXCEPT my 15 day panama canal cruise on the Island in March. My feet swelled up to where my skin hurt from stretching so much. I had to take water pills, keep my feet elevated and no sodium. That caused me to use the elevators. When I can walk the stairs I can beat my hubby to wherever we are going! He has had both hips replaced, and although he will still play softball, he refuses to walk the stairs!

I would rather walk then take the elevator when possible and I agree, the stairs are usually empty!

I wonder if constant pressure on Princess would get them to rethink this. Certainly a dry dock is all that's needed to complete the project on any ships that don't have the central stairs finished, but where the internal superstructure exists. I am just off the Grand and found my central cabin on deck 8 to be an annoyance as my 'usual' nearby stairs were missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if constant pressure on Princess would get them to rethink this. Certainly a dry dock is all that's needed to complete the project on any ships that don't have the central stairs finished, but where the internal superstructure exists. I am just off the Grand and found my central cabin on deck 8 to be an annoyance as my 'usual' nearby stairs were missing.

They made a bigger change by adding a small aft pool on the Regal in response to passenger input. Finishing the stairs (paneling, carpeting, nicer railings) was basically cosmetic & not structural but was not done despite passenger input. To me since the changes were not made to the Regal it's doubtful if they're planning to finish them anytime soon. :(

Good grief...I wish they had lost the fountains and instead carpeted the mid-ship stairs.

Me too! Fountains on a moving ship never seemed to be a good idea. :eek: Being downwind of a splashing pool watching MUTS is bad enough.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Me too! Fountains on a moving ship never seemed to be a good idea. :eek: Being downwind of a splashing pool watching MUTS is bad enough.

When I first saw the plans for the Fountain I thought to my self what ******* came up with this idea? Haven't they ever seen what the pool looks like on a rough sea day. The water moves like the ocean. Now add wind to the equation and the fountains turn the ship into a water park.