My experience with the Premium Drink Package

SJS

My 17yo son got whatever package it's called where he could get frozen virgin drinks. After the first couple days he gave up. He said the bartenders avoided him and were not happy having to make him frozen drinks that were prepaid. He is not one to speak up and cause a scene and was embarrassed when they treated him like that. He didn't tell me this until after the cruise was over or I probably would have asked to cancel it.

It's sad when we feel like we can't ask to get things for which we paid because we don't want to look rude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My 17yo son got whatever package it's called where he could get frozen virgin drinks. After the first couple days he gave up. He said the bartenders avoided him and were not happy having to make him frozen drinks that were prepaid. He is not one to speak up and cause a scene and was embarrassed when they treated him like that. He didn't tell me this until after the cruise was over or I probably would have asked to cancel it.

It's sad when we feel like we can't ask to get things for which we paid because we don't want to look rude.

oh boy , great now im rethinking the non alcohol package , lol

thanks for sharing.

i also heard they give the drinks in a small cup rather than a regular glass ,was that true?

I was sold on getting the drink package for myself when our friends told us yesterday they spent $800 on alcohol for a 4 day cruise and they didn't get the package.

Edited by pylorns

I was sold on getting the drink package for myself when our friends told us yesterday they spent $800 on alcohol for a 4 day cruise and they didn't get the package.

Yep, I had two family members that spent $400-500 on a 4 night cruise (would have been more but one got a nasty sunburn and stayed in the cabin for a couple of those days) and another couple that spent over $1000 on a 7 day cruise (and theirs was almost exclusively beer)!! I enjoy a nice glass of wine, a pale ale, martinis, and G&T's so it pays for me with the added value of bottled water and sodas.

thanks for sharing.

i also heard they give the drinks in a small cup rather than a regular glass ,was that true?

My husband and I had the packages (premium) last summer on Oasis and are purchasing them for the Allure cruise we have booked this summer. We always got drinks in a normal size glass, no tiny cups :)

I was able to get the drink of the day at the bar, but couldn't get the souvenir glass.

On a package you get the drink of the day in a plain glass. If you want the special glass, just ask and sign the slip. It's not rocket science.

Remember everyone that 15% tip is added to your drink prices so an $8 glass of wine becomes $9.20 so at an average of $8/drink at price list it's more like less than 6 drinks a day to break even.

We spent $1,600 (£1,060) for our 15 night cruise. We got our monies worth, even on port days.

As for the quality of the drinks - superb, nice & strong. Never ever a problem with bar staff being "funny" because we were on a package. We did tend to stay to one bar and the bar staff were brilliant. So much so we filled in WOW cards for them.

But then we don't go in with attitude. Treat folks like you'd like to be treated and you'll be treated with respect back.

Be careful to watch the tickets you sign on the premium package. We just got off the Allure Sunday. My wife got a $12 glass of wine at the Champagne Bar and the bartender charged her $2. I happened to have had the slip in my pocket that showed wine is covered to $12 a glass but it didn't matter to him. He insisted it was correct. I had to go to Guest Services to have them correct it. Funny thing... the bartender actually came out from behind the bar and walked over by Guest Services to see if I was in line there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you think about it, all you have to do to break even on the package is drink 5 good quality drinks throughout the day.

Mimosa with breakfast, couple frozen drinks by the pool, a cocktail before dinner, and a couple drinks after dinner, and you're already out ahead of the game. (and likely pretty sober by the time you get to bed... Your body neutralizes 1 shot of alcohol per hour) If you factor in that RCI will charge you for coffee, water, sodas, tea, etc, its really not that difficult to see how even an average drinker will come out on top over the course of a week with the Premium Package.

I chose to already pay for the package for both my wife and myself for my cruise in a month on the Oasis. $770 for the two of us, but I'm pretty confident, knowing the quality of drinks we usually enjoy, we're very likely going to come out of this on top, and it probably won't be that close.

I did not have a problem using the drink package on two cruises so far, on Oasis and Grandeur. The only thing is that I *THINK* service was slower at dinner with the package on Oasis, but I think that is because they insisted the waiter could not take cards for the package, only the person coming around from the bar could take them. People who did not have the package did get their drinks faster (should note this was also in early Dec. after they started these "new" packages). On Grandeur the waiter took our cards and there was no issue, he even brought us Evian with our wine without our ever asking. I might have received slightly faster service at bars on Grandeur due to fewer people and also, I did tip better and in advance in some cases. (This was harder to do on Oasis with so many venues that I never established a "regular" bar to go to). Did not notice any issue with strength/quality of drinks or anything else, the only thing is the drink of the day does seem less strong, but I am thinking they are premade that way because they are a deal for those who DON'T have the package. (same drinks were often better when they were not the drink of the day).

As far as the math...

1 Frozen drink between breakfast and lunch (hey I am on vacation!) $7 (min.)

2 Frozen drinks by the pool or hanging out at the Schooner Bar--$14

2 Bottles of water during the day--$6

2 Glasses of wine at dinner--$20

After dinner or pre-show drink--$6

Soda throughout the day--$6 soda package, which I would have anyway.

15% gratuity on all that--$8.85

Total: $67.85

Admittedly, there were a couple of days (port days) I did not have the afternoon drinks, plus one or two nights I only had one glass of wine at dinner. This was likely made up for by an extra bottle of water, an extra drink at an event like Quest, etc. Did I break even? I think so. Did I drink more than I would have without the package? Probably, as without the package I would have been thinking about each and every drink and considering the cost, etc. and would have skipped a few (particularly the morning ones...which happens ONLY on vacation. :)).

(I feel I should also note the above math is from a 7 day cruise with 3 port days...2 afternoon port arrivals and the other was CocoCay where we used the drink package. Did not spend a lot of time in Nassau so I could still use the package most of the day. Only 1 day was I off the ship most of the day. I would likely not even think about a drink package on those cruises where there are 6 port days and the whole day is spent off the ship).

Edited by fluffysue

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic but I'm completely confused. I've read through lots of threads and decided to just ask:

How does tipping work for the drink package? I want to get the $55/day premium package, which includes cocktails up to $10. If I order a drink that is listed on the menu at $10, is that covered? Or are drinks only covered that are $10 after tip?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic but I'm completely confused. I've read through lots of threads and decided to just ask:

How does tipping work for the drink package? I want to get the $55/day premium package, which includes cocktails up to $10. If I order a drink that is listed on the menu at $10, is that covered? Or are drinks only covered that are $10 after tip?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For the $10 max for cocktails and $12 max for wine - you go by the menu price. So, yes, a $10 drink would be free with the drink package and the gratuity would already be included as well.

That’s just ridiculous. I previously had the drink package on my last trip and my drinks were no weaker than any time before on a cruise.

I also hear how service suffers with those with those that have drink packages. As my British friends would say….rubbish!

It’s very simple math and we all know about how much we consume drink wise on a cruise.

If you’re a 2-3 drink max kind of person then the drink package is not for you. If you bang back 4+ and like good wine by the glass and premium booze I’d say it’s worth it.

whether you get your bill at the end, or pre pay, is truly the same thing...its just psychological

This is true and I think people who can handle their liquor and enjoy drinking on vacation can truly get their money's worth. I know that I cannot. I do think some is psychological also. We found this out on a few Disney trips on the full meal plan vs quick service plan vs no plan. Enjoyed them all for different reasons. On the 3rd trip we went no plan. Charged everything on one credit card. Ate what we wanted when we wanted it and added it all up in the end. It was much less expensive. That said, I might still choose a plan on another trip just depending on what we were looking for. I could definitely see the premium plan working out for a few of my friends. They can drink all day and are fine. I get too sleepy.

Debbie

That’s just ridiculous. I previously had the drink package on my last trip and my drinks were no weaker than any time before on a cruise.

I also hear how service suffers with those with those that have drink packages. As my British friends would say….rubbish!

It’s very simple math and we all know about how much we consume drink wise on a cruise.

If you’re a 2-3 drink max kind of person then the drink package is not for you. If you bang back 4+ and like good wine by the glass and premium booze I’d say it’s worth it.

Hear, hear! ;)

thanks for sharing.

My son said regular glass. But when I just asked him he didn't know why I was asking and said he wouldn't want it again because the bartenders "were kind of jerks when I asked for it" and it was more fun to have as a treat than something I want all the time.

My son said regular glass. But when I just asked him he didn't know why I was asking and said he wouldn't want it again because the bartenders "were kind of jerks when I asked for it" and it was more fun to have as a treat than something I want all the time.

thank you for the advice, what i did was just get the soda and if i want a few frozen drinks pay for them. i dont like specialty coffee anyway so im sure i will be fine. again thanks for the info ,very helpful.

My boyfriend and I purchased the $55 a day drink package on the May 8th sailing on Explorer. The package was well worth the money. I loved to be able to try new things knowing if I didn't like it, I wasn't out money. The drinks were made strong on our cruise :-) Loved all of them as did my boyfriend. When cruising again we will deff. purchase again. Sorry to the OP for having a crappy experience with it. If you're a drinker it's well worth the money and hitting 7 drinks in a day wasn't very hard haha.

My boyfriend and I purchased the $55 a day drink package on the May 8th sailing on Explorer. The package was well worth the money. I loved to be able to try new things knowing if I didn't like it, I wasn't out money. The drinks were made strong on our cruise :-) Loved all of them as did my boyfriend. When cruising again we will deff. purchase again. Sorry to the OP for having a crappy experience with it. If you're a drinker it's well worth the money and hitting 7 drinks in a day wasn't very hard haha.

so the service was good? never ignored at the bar or long waits? thank you in advance

So here's my math, $55 per day so if my average drink is $8 that's only seven drinks a day just to break even. Heck, I can do seven bloody Mary's before noon.

I agree and with the soda, water, wine and tip included I think it is worth it. I will be trying it for the first time this Sunday on the allure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just got back from our cruise on brilliance of the seas. We bought the premium drinks package months before we sailed. We are so glad we bought the package as I feel it could have spoiled our cruise worrying about how much our sea pass bill was. The drinks were very strong and we never had to ask for a drink. The bar staff were very good and noticed when our glasses were getting low and automatically refilled them. Would most definitely buy a package again.

tm3750, the really sad part is that I did tip my favorite ones a little extra! Other than the pool bar I had good service just not good drinks. :(

I guess I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that your drinks were weak because the bartenders knew you had the drink pkg?

As a matter of interest, if you buy the package before the cruise, is it charged to your credit card immediately, or does it go on your onboard account to be paid at the end of the cruise?

The reason I ask is that I am going on Liberty out of Barcelona on 8th June. There is a 7% Spanish VAT charge on all drinks, but someone told me I could avoid this by purchasing before I go.

As a matter of interest, if you buy the package before the cruise, is it charged to your credit card immediately, or does it go on your onboard account to be paid at the end of the cruise?

The reason I ask is that I am going on Liberty out of Barcelona on 8th June. There is a 7% Spanish VAT charge on all drinks, but someone told me I could avoid this by purchasing before I go.

You get charged immediately. I can verify this, cause I just bought the package for a cruise I'm taking in June, and the payment is showing on my credit card bill right now.

You get charged immediately. I can verify this, cause I just bought the package for a cruise I'm taking in June, and the payment is showing on my credit card bill right now.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Think I'll book it next week before I go ( but after my CC statement date). Then I will have to pay it at the same time as if I had waited until I was onboard.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Think I'll book it next week before I go ( but after my CC statement date). Then I will have to pay it at the same time as if I had waited until I was onboard.

I think you have until 3 days before the cruise to order packages via the website.