V.A. Health Coverage in Another Country

xnavydoc2

Hello to all

The Veteran's Administration (U.S.A.) is my primary health provider (Purple Heart, Service Connected Disability) does anyone know for sure if they will cover me for emergencies while visiting another country? I know that I need to contact them (the v.a.) directly next Tuesday after Memorial Day, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any past experience with this.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they won't. This is how most insurance plans work, private or public. The usual course of action for the majority of us is to purchase supplemental travel insurance from one of the many companies that deal with this type of insurance.

Medicare does not pay for care outside U.S. and I seriously doubt VA does either.

You should look for travel insurance at least for medical and emergency evacuation.

There is an excellent travel/cruise insurance forum on CC with some knowledgeable posters. You may wish to read and question on that forum.

Here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=635

Edited by sail7seas

The VA has a Foreign Medical Program that will pay for overseas treatment of service connected conditions. If you search for Foreign Medical Program, there are fact sheets on the program and claims on the VA website. Their website doesn't mention coverage for non-service connected regardless of the % disability rating. Also, if you are enrolled in Tricare, Tricare will pay for emergency overseas care.

Thanks to everyone. I figured as much. We already have "Trip Cancelation" Insurance etc. and secondary travel insurance for my Lovely Wife Opal. Guess I'll call them and see about primary coverage for me.

Thanks to everyone. I figured as much. We already have "Trip Cancelation" Insurance etc. and secondary travel insurance for my Lovely Wife Opal. Guess I'll call them and see about primary coverage for me.

Read the insurance info closely. I am not an insurance expert, but I have stayed at HI Express :p and claimed on trip insurance.

You should be OK with secondary coverage. Typically, the drill is: pay out of pocket, submit bill to medical insurer, get their payment (full or partial) or denial, submit claim for reimbursement (for remaining o-o-p) to trip insurance, get check.

Read the insurance info closely. I am not an insurance expert, but I have stayed at HI Express :p and claimed on trip insurance.

You should be OK with secondary coverage. Typically, the drill is: pay out of pocket, submit bill to medical insurer, get their payment (full or partial) or denial, submit claim for reimbursement (for remaining o-o-p) to trip insurance, get check.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to tell me. My only health coverage is through the V.A., and from what I understand, they don't cover anything when on vacation in another country.

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to tell me. My only health coverage is through the V.A., and from what I understand, they don't cover anything when on vacation in another country.

Thanks

It means that VA is your primary insurer, and anything you buy will be secondary. Just like with Medicare. If you have occasion to need to file a claim, you first submit it to the VA, and when they decline it, you submit to the trip insurance company. EM

I also know that Tricare will pay. I had to see the ships Dr a few years back. I did pay up front and then upon returning home I submitted the bill to Tricare and was totally reimbursed.

That's good to know. We have Tricare as a secondary, I wonder how that would work for us? They always pick up what our primary doesn't, but not sure what would happen if we were out of the country.

Essiesmom and CPT Trips,

You both were 100% right. I talked to my insurance (CSA) and they told me the same thing. Submit the claim to the V.A., and when they deny it, send that denial letter to CSA and then they will reimburse me. Thanks to both of you.