Suite + Interior?

Has anyone ever booked a Suite and Interior cabin for a group of people traveling together?

We are thinking of adding an interior cabin so we can spread out a bit. My mother, my husband and my two children had booked a family suite (without balcony) on deck 12. Now, my 20 year old niece can also join us, and that is one sardine too many for the can.

So, I am thinking of booking an interior cabin for one person. That is actually cheaper (by about $500!) than booking the 2 bedroom family suite. Even though I am only booking it for one, I think I will put my niece and my children in the interior room. I think I will book it in my husband's name, to avoid any concerns with a minor (albeit a 20 year old minor) being in a cabin alone. I could move three people to the interior and keep three in the suite for no difference in price. But I am thinking that will not be the smartest move.

When we were in the two bedroom family suite on the Star, we loved using Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, we loved boarding early, and we loved calling our concierge for help in making dining arrangements. I figure by keeping five of us on the manifest for the suite, we can still do most of that. I don't think we were ever all ready for breakfast at the same time, and my son, who sleeps like a teen, was always just going down to the buffet to get something when he finally bothered to stir himself.

All I ever remember doing was turning in my room card and telling them how many for Cagney's. I don't ever remember them keeping track of us by name.

So, do you think if my husband and I wanted to have lunch together, and we went up to Cagney's on my room card, they would realize he was actually in an interior cabin instead of the suite?

Do you think there is anyway they will let my husband board with us instead of boarding by himself?

Has anyone ever split their party across a suite and an interior cabin, and if so, did anyone ever use any suite privileges for non suite passengers?

Everybody should be able to board together, but only passengers in the suite should get the Cagney perks (although others will tell you to ask to see if they will allow it). On our last cruise we had 5 in the suite and 2 in an inside. We only had the 5 use Cagneys and the Haven (not fair for others to use since they didn't pay for it)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

... I figure by keeping five of us on the manifest for the suite, we can still do most of that. I don't think we were ever all ready for breakfast at the same time, and my son, who sleeps like a teen, was always just going down to the buffet to get something when he finally bothered to stir himself.

All I ever remember doing was turning in my room card and telling them how many for Cagney's. I don't ever remember them keeping track of us by name.

You will OFTEN find folks saying only those in the suite get the suite perks. No suite, no perks.

BUT - I will admit, when you go to check in for breakfast and lunch, and your SUITE is for 5 people, and only 5 check in.... well, that would work. They do not ask names.

(not fair for others to use since they didn't pay for it)

I guess that is what I struggle with....because I could add my niece to our cabin (which technically sleeps 6) for 299.00....or I could book her her own cabin for about $1,300. But somehow, by spending more...I end up with less.

Thanks for your help. From what I see, I am going to go ahead and book just one person into the interior cabin, and leave 5 of us on the manifest for the suite.

Pay for a suite and get the perks. Why would you be entitled to perks if you didn't pay? Using your logic everyone could find a loophole (cheat) to get suite perks. Maybe a lot will and there won't be any seating available in Cagney's because all the cheats have weaseled their way in.

It could also get confusing because the room keys will be distributed as booked, not as you plan to use the rooms. The extra sardine would have to use your husband's key to access her room, could get confusing if she does anything on her own. On the newer ships, it appears that an inside is right across from the suite, but it is not, for the entrance is from the interior of the ship. Enjoy your cruise!!

Pay for a suite and get the perks. Why would you be entitled to perks if you didn't pay? Using your logic everyone could find a loophole (cheat) to get suite perks. Maybe a lot will and there won't be any seating available in Cagney's because all the cheats have weaseled their way in.

In this case, the OP can put all 6 people in the suite and pay and with this logic get the perks. But, if the OP actually pays MORE money, one person will not get the perks.

Though I am one of those that usually say "no suite, no perks" - this one seems to a bit different.

OP, Which ship are you sailing and in which suite? Depending on the suite it may actually not be one sardine too many as you mentioned.

NCL's rules do state that any guest under 21 must be in the same cabin or a connecting cabin to the adult guest over 21 years of age. Simply putting her into a cabin by herself is not an option.

As it seemed you were stating you would keep the suite the same and then book the second cabin. An adult over 21 has to be listed on the cabin with a guest younger than 21 which may require removing a guest over 21 from the suite.

In this case, the OP can put all 6 people in the suite and pay and with this logic get the perks. But, if the OP actually pays MORE money, one person will not get the perks.

Though I am one of those that usually say "no suite, no perks" - this one seems to a bit different.

The part that you are missing though, is that NCL will still have that second room to sell for more money if the OP puts six in the original room. So no, the OP isn't paying more to NCL than they would make by selling that second cabin for full price.

The part that you are missing though, is that NCL will still have that second room to sell for more money if the OP puts six in the original room. So no, the OP isn't paying more to NCL than they would make by selling that second cabin for full price.

Even if they book one person in the inside cabin, nine chances out of ten they will pay full price for the inside cabin less the one set of port taxes and fees which NCL does not get to keep anyway. So NCL would only lose the $299 they would pay to add the one person to the suite.

Even if they book one person in the inside cabin, nine chances out of ten they will pay full price for the inside cabin less the one set of port taxes and fees which NCL does not get to keep anyway. So NCL would only lose the $299 they would pay to add the one person to the suite.

That's assuming that 1) the single pays 200%, and 2) the room only sells to 2 people. If they put 3 or 4 in the single, they make more.

With the exception of NCL's age restrictions, there are quite a few assumptions in this thread.

I agree with LMB. Isn't the real answer BOOK a suite, get the perks. Doesn't matter what other cabins sell for, if they sell, when they sell or how many people may be in them. If you are BOOKED in a suite, get the perks... simple.

There is what you can get away with, and what is the right thing.

I love how everyone thinks that their individual situation is "special" somehow.

Glad someone "gets it".

We have been in this position.

We have a DOS suite that will sleep 4, not 5 (one is a baby who won't use a real bed anyway).

We wanted to pay full for the "extra two" in the DOS *AND* pay full price for an inside across the hall (yes, doors "match" on the hallway).

We are not allowed to do that.

(But someone last year mentioned getting a supervisor at NCL and being allowed to pay "more" to do this, but we can't find that posting, and I doubt they gave a contact name anyway.)

We were NOT trying to get something for "free", and not even trying to pay "less". We were trying to PAY *MORE* so that we could have the suite perks for all of the adults.

(The baby might at most slobber on an NCL cracker ;-)

We also wanted the privacy of the separate sleeping areas and extra bathroom.

-> But we wanted to *pay* for it all, by paying twice for two of the adults, as "extras" in the DOS, and *again* as passengers in the inside.

(We just didn't want to pay for the Garden Villa, which is far more space than we need, and also wasn't available, so that was a non-starter regardless of our preferences.)

GeezerCouple

Oh Brother.... OP .. Do exactly what you are planning . It will all work out fine..

And NCL??? could we please go back to the suite + 1 for family packages ?

This nonsense has gone on long enough.. ;)

Glad someone "gets it".

We have been in this position.

We have a DOS suite that will sleep 4, not 5 (one is a baby who won't use a real bed anyway).

We wanted to pay full for the "extra two" in the DOS *AND* pay full price for an inside across the hall (yes, doors "match" on the hallway).

We are not allowed to do that.

(But someone last year mentioned getting a supervisor at NCL and being allowed to pay "more" to do this, but we can't find that posting, and I doubt they gave a contact name anyway.)

We were NOT trying to get something for "free", and not even trying to pay "less". We were trying to PAY *MORE* so that we could have the suite perks for all of the adults.

(The baby might at most slobber on an NCL cracker ;-)

We also wanted the privacy of the separate sleeping areas and extra bathroom.

-> But we wanted to *pay* for it all, by paying twice for two of the adults, as "extras" in the DOS, and *again* as passengers in the inside.

(We just didn't want to pay for the Garden Villa, which is far more space than we need, and also wasn't available, so that was a non-starter regardless of our preferences.)

GeezerCouple

I do get what you are saying, but bottom line is you are trying to get something, in this case suite perks, for people who are not in a suite. It's not what you pay; I'm sure there are people who pay an arm and a leg for an inside room at certain times of the year. It is based on what room you purchase. If you purchase a suite, you get suite perks. If you purchase an inside - mini suite, regardless of what you pay, you don't.

I think I will book it in my husband's name, to avoid any concerns with a minor (albeit a 20 year old minor) being in a cabin alone.

Since when is a 20 year old a minor? ;)

Sent from my iPad

I do get what you are saying, but bottom line is you are trying to get something, in this case suite perks, for people who are not in a suite. It's not what you pay; I'm sure there are people who pay an arm and a leg for an inside room at certain times of the year. It is based on what room you purchase. If you purchase a suite, you get suite perks. If you purchase an inside - mini suite, regardless of what you pay, you don't.

Glad someone "gets it".

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

We could have done this - er, TRIED to do this - in a suite that DID sleep 5 (including the baby).

WE WANT THE EXTRA SPACE OF THE SMALLER INSIDE CABIN, so that we have the separation for sleeping, and also the extra bathroom.

We want to PAY FOR BOTH CABINS IN FULL - for "everyone* in the Suite *AND* for 2 in the inside cabin!

But we sort of need to have "ghosts registered" in the inside cabin, and "Ghosts of GeezerCouple" (or "Ghosts of other Couple") don't have separate passport numbers, etc.......

NCL would be coming out much ahead, as there would be two full-fare passengers who actually aren't eating a thing or using any facilities at all, because... they are duplicate people.

But they would be PAID-FOR duplicate people.

We want to pay for ALL SUITE ACCOMMODATIONS & PERKS for *everyone* and *ALSO* pay for two people in an inside cabin.

It doesn't matter if the suite we prefer takes only 4 *OR* if we switched to the other DOS (one that does allow 5, but has a much less appealing floor plan). The price would be the same. And our "problem" would be the same.

[Very sorry that I confused this issue by focusing on the 4-person DOS and not the 5-person DOS "next door".]

I'm not sure how to explain it any better.

We want the equivalent of paying FULL PRICE for an inside cabin, but not having any "separate" passengers listed there, other than some who are already listed - AND PAID FOR - in a Suite.

(If the argument is made that this deprives someone else of sailing on a full ship, well... that happens on every full ship... or any time there are passengers not doubling up or quadrupling up when possible, thus "freeing up" other cabins for others.)

IF there was a "2BR suite" that had the same space and features of the 4-person DOS, we've have taken that immediately. (It would have given us what we wanted, and also saved us money - but it doesn't exist.)

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple

That's assuming that 1) the single pays 200%, and 2) the room only sells to 2 people. If they put 3 or 4 in the single, they make more.

It's pretty rare to not pay the full single supplement on NCL - I have always had to pay 200% - so highly unlikely (unless there is an unexpected sell off of rooms and they reduce the supplement), they will likely have to pay the full price of cabin.

You could have booked two suites... problem solved.

Yes, that is true.

We considered that.

But we felt there should be no reason to pay TWICE for suite perks for EVERYONE.

We already wanted to pay for them once!

AND then pay again for a second cabin.

Our point is that we DID want to pay for FULL SUITE FOR EVERYONE.

We've tried to do that, and that part was definitely possible, but.......

It's the "extra cabin", paid in full for 2, (just for sleeping) that was not allowed.

Needless to say, the others now just won't eat at Cagney's for breakfast, and maybe a few lunches.

There really isn't anything else that makes much difference, as far as we can tell.

They can still join us in our DOS during the at-sea days, and evenings, exactly the same as they would anyway, with plenty of space for the baby to crawl around, as we all get to enjoy plenty of space in the living area, and the large windows.

And they'll have their own cabin for sleeping (and the extra bathroom), as we wanted to arrange.

(What it boils down to, is we were willing to pay what was really a ridiculous amount only so they could join us for breakfast and lunch, and we might not get up and go to breakfast... and we'll be off the ship a lot at lunch.

But it's the principle, that we were NOT trying to "get something without paying". We wanted 5 to have suite perks, and we wanted to pay for 5 in a suite. We just wanted to add *another* little bedroom... Obviously, we aren't doing that, because we weren't allowed to. We saved enough to have many other treats, from what we didn't pay for the extra 3 in the Suite.)

As far as we can tell, the only other way to get the space/etc. that we wanted would have been the Garden Villa. Aside from the fact that it was far more space than we needed, it wasn't available anyway, so that was not an option for us. We double checked a few other sailing dates, just in case, although we probably wouldn't have decided to spend *that* much extra.)

GeezerCouple