Simple camera for technology challenged wife

We are heading to Alaska in a few weeks and while we are in Skagway most of our group is doing the train ride while my DW I'd going horseback riding. She always seems to get the camera out of picture mode and stuck in some kind of setting that won't allow her to take pictures, this in turn gets her frustrated and doesn't even want to try to learn how to use the camera. So has anyone ever used any of the kiddie cameras? Is this even an option? My last resort will be a 35mm disposable camera.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I would get her a simple point and shoot camera. Mine is an Olympys. But, everyone makes one. My friend has a Sony and I like the size of the screen on hers. There are settings on each of these. but, you can set it to the auto setting. then she needs to turn it on and point and shoot.

I used of of these in Alaska and I loved the pictures.

We are heading to Alaska in a few weeks and while we are in Skagway most of our group is doing the train ride while my DW I'd going horseback riding. She always seems to get the camera out of picture mode and stuck in some kind of setting that won't allow her to take pictures, this in turn gets her frustrated and doesn't even want to try to learn how to use the camera. So has anyone ever used any of the kiddie cameras? Is this even an option? My last resort will be a 35mm disposable camera.

My wife has a nice pocket sized Canon. It has a small dial that is easy to use for anyone, then push the shutter button and it takes good pictures, ours is a SD950 and it's a few years old so I'm sure you want something newer, but there are plenty of similar simple cameras.

I can wholeheartedly recommend: an iPhone.

Hear me out: it sounds a bit crazy at first, but in my experience, an iPhone is one of the simplest cameras around (and easiest to use phone).

Taking photos is dead simple, just push the camera icon, and start snapping. To encourage you to hold the iphone in proper landscape mode (tilted on its side), Apple turns the volume button into a shutter button, so taking the photo works just like any other camera: push the button. Any controls etc are hidden behind menus that are easily accessible, but do not clutter things up for those who would be confused by them.

Yet its what happens AFTER you take the photo that really helps me recommend the iPhone. Unlike most point and shoot cameras, the iPhone shines when it comes to sharing and downloading the images. With a point and shoot, you have to take the card out, transfer the images, find the images on your computer, etc. (don't get me started about wifi on a point and shoot...if you think this is a benefit you have not used wifi on a point and shoot before).

With the iPhone, from the image itself, the user can click and send via email or SMS. And all images taken are automatically uploaded to iCloud. If you have a Mac (or if a family member has a Mac), iPhoto on the Mac will automatically download all those photos for safe keeping and viewing. For $99, an Apple TV will automatically show those same photos on the family TV.

In other words, just take the photos, the rest of automatic. Brilliant.

Be sure the camera has a good LCD that can be seen in the sunlight. I got one at QVC a while back that did well in horizontal, but the image disappeared for vertical mode. It went back.

If you can find one with a viewfinder, so much the better.

Also, make sure she knows enough to turn the dial to Auto mode.

Yes...all of the major players make good point and shoot cameras. Someone above mentioned the Nikon. They make good ones, as does Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus...I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

But, as someone else mentioned, don't discount the cameras on the most recent iPhones and Galaxies. They have quite good point and shoot cameras in them, and they're simple.

If you go the seperate camera route, don't spend more than $200. Technology on them changes too quickly to invest much more than that.

I love my Panasonic Lumix DMC-Z525 because of it's great Leica lens and the ability to quickly zoom to 20X. I take hundreds if not thousands of pictures a year and they are of the quality that I can mix them in with my husband's SLR pictures and not be able to tell they were taken in auto mode with a point and shoot. The Panasonic is faster IMO than some of the other point and shoot and I get shots others don't because of the zoom ability. Have fun with it and don't drop it! (I am really hard on cameras so I have had 5 cameras in last 5 years -- replaced the Panasonic after 3 days when fell in the sand face first with camera under me:eek: Hated the replacement bought in tiny store in Galapagos Islands bought another Panasonic:D spilled a drink on it sticky on lenses covering causing it to stick and dots on pictures and bought another:rolleyes:)

Consider having your wife hold on to some of the cameras (camera store is best but Best Buy works too) and see what is comfortable. For my hands with arthritis too small is harder to hold on to. This is just personal choice. I like an extension (bump) where I can hold/ on others like tiny. Some like my daughter are perfectly fine with their cell phones (latest and greatest! of course) but I still like my camera. Panasonic does fit in my smaller (which are not that small) purse but is heavy for a shirt pocket.

My DW uses her iPad almost exclusively! Her point and shoot I carry on my hip just in case she wants the 20x zoom capability; she doesn't usually want it. I use a super zoom camera - between the three units, we take lots of great pictures.

It even uses AA batteries!!!!

This is a very cool but often overlooked feature in a small Point and shoot camera. Standard AA batteries are available cheap almost everywhere, but your out of luck if your special proprietary battery goes dead.

To the iPhone suggestions, I agree that it has an ok camera, however to someone that is according to the OP technologically challenged, it may prove frustrating as it's an app that needs to be opened, and then run. It isn't very quick so anything moving your likely to lose it. Keeping the phone unlocked and the camera running so that you don't miss anything is likely to kill the battery before you are done wanting to take pictures. The biggest knock against the iphone as a camera is that if you don't already have an iPhone getting it because you want a camera is just dumb. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone, we have 3 of them, I just don't think it replaces a camera very well.

Thank you for all of the great input. I kinda went looking for her camera today but only had a few minutes to look. Most of the digital cameras were still just a little too much. There were a couple that may have potential. As far as using an iPhone, her phone is a very old flip phone that was my 21 year old son got when he was in 9th grade. She took it over as a prepaid phone and puts $20 on it every 6 months. She is anti technology and I am addicted to technology. I think what I am going to do is get one of the $30 kids digital cameras and 2-35mm disposable cameras to put in her backpack and hope for the best.

Nikon S-32' date=' very inexpensive, waterproof and shockproof.

I purchased this camera for my wife for our Oasis cruise last week, we also have a Nikon 5100, but for portability, and toughness the S-32 was great for her to stick in her purse or beach bag.[/quote']

I'd agree with the above, as it highlights one of reasons you would want to go with a real camera, rather than a phone - in this case, being waterproof and shockproof (both to limits) you could take this were you would not want to take a phone, like the beach, river excursions, not worry about the rain, etc. You can also take high-quality videos.

For a more traditional digital camera, I'd suggest the Canon A1300, which has image stabilization, a wide angle lens (another reason to get a real camera), uses AA batteries, a dedicated video button for HD quality videos and has has a viewfinder, which lets you frame and take a picture in any kind of light. It even has a nice grip and a help button! Plus you can order via Amazon for easy returns in case you don't like it.

And if the help button isn't enough, as Canon is the market leader a lot of other people can help you with the camera if you need it.

I think I may have a Brownie I can give you. :p

This is a very cool but often overlooked feature in a small Point and shoot camera. Standard AA batteries are available cheap almost everywhere, but your out of luck if your special proprietary battery goes dead.

To the iPhone suggestions, I agree that it has an ok camera, however to someone that is according to the OP technologically challenged, it may prove frustrating as it's an app that needs to be opened, and then run. It isn't very quick so anything moving your likely to lose it. Keeping the phone unlocked and the camera running so that you don't miss anything is likely to kill the battery before you are done wanting to take pictures. The biggest knock against the iphone as a camera is that if you don't already have an iPhone getting it because you want a camera is just dumb. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone, we have 3 of them, I just don't think it replaces a camera very well.

But AA batteries are heavy and I was using about 12 every 2 days -- it adds up. For my Panasonic battery I have 3 of the batteries and 2 chargers (I have had 3 of the cameras in 4 years :o yep sand on one, and soda on one and the other is the current) You can buy the batteries in a battery plus store for just about $35. I also bought a second battery for the cell phone -- tired of it being dead because I would not realize in sleep mode and forget to charge. I have been offered batteries in some less developed countries that were -- repurposed and without a charge!

Another vote for Panasonic's Lumix series. Set it on auto and go. Playback/Camera modes are a toggle switch on the back.

They can be repaired on your desk if you screw something up after the warranty runs out. Got dust on my sensor last year (makes spots on pictures). Found a way to take it apart and clean it out. Problem solved!

The i-phone camera is crap. Either that or something was wrong with mine. Panasonic Z series is pretty good. Check Adorama or BH Photo Video for refurbished models. You can get some great deals that way. Also check the camera maker sites for refurbs. Ive bought a few and they are like new. You could never tell they were not new. I still wouldnt get her a childs camera for an Alaska trip. She may not like how some of the pics turn out. Besides how many times do you think you'll make this trip? If you want to do some research. I highly recommend dpreview.com there is a lot of information there.

But AA batteries are heavy and I was using about 12 every 2 days -- it adds up. For my Panasonic battery I have 3 of the batteries and 2 chargers (I have had 3 of the cameras in 4 years :o yep sand on one, and soda on one and the other is the current) You can buy the batteries in a battery plus store for just about $35.

The only problem is the techo-challenged person is less likely to remember to check and charge the battery (usually requiring removal), or even to remember to unplug the charger when leaving on the trip. AA batteries (environment aside) will probably cost a lot less over the expected use of the camera (one trip?) and be easier to carry/find as needed.

Also, per my prior post - the Canon A1400 is a later model that may be easier to find with the same features. And if you get an 8 or 16GB card you'll never run out of space (unless shooting video - then get a 32 GB card).