Mariner #'s

My mariner number (9 digits) begins with 389. DHs begins with 397.

I got my number when I made our reservations for our first HAL cruise (2009). My husband was issued a number after we got back and I asked for a number for him, also.

Edited by Shmoo here

We cruised for the first time in 2009. Our Mariner Numbers both start with 395, are 9 digits long and, even though I am in front of him alphabetically, his number is 8 numbers before mine.

Oh well - just as long as they keep the points correct, I won't rock the boat.;)

Barbara

My DH and my mariner number were sequential if you look at the first 9 digits. The final digit is called a check-digit which is used to verify that the first 9 digits were keyed correctly..

Are you sure position 9 is a check digit? If it is, I'll be darned if I can tell what the algorithm is.

DH and I took our first HAL cruise together and were assigned Mariner numbers at the same time. Our numbers are about 20 numbers apart. One would have thought they'd be in sequence. :)

My number starts with 003 and I first sailed HAL in about 1991.

I first sailed in the late 80's and mine too starts with 003, so maybe they have been giving them out in order , or both you and I are from MA., so maybe it has something to do with location?

Are you sure position 9 is a check digit? If it is, I'll be darned if I can tell what the algorithm is.

It looks like the Luhn Algorithm. It worked on both my and DH's Mariner numbers.

When I was in college, I had a part time job, and one of my job responsibilities was assigning account numbers to customers. The company had a very specific procedure for this, and numbers were assigned manually with a check digit. Yup, no computer involved in the calculation, but if it were incorrect, the computer would reject the entry.

When we first got our Mariner numbers, the last digits looked like check digits to me but I never verified it until this thread.

Now I'll return to folding the laundry. I've used up my quota of geek for the evening. :D

It looks like the Luhn Algorithm. It worked on both my and DH's Mariner numbers.

When I was in college, I had a part time job, and one of my job responsibilities was assigning account numbers to customers. The company had a very specific procedure for this, and numbers were assigned manually with a check digit. Yup, no computer involved in the calculation, but if it were incorrect, the computer would reject the entry.

When we first got our Mariner numbers, the last digits looked like check digits to me but I never verified it until this thread.

Now I'll return to folding the laundry. I've used up my quota of geek for the evening. :D

Looks like he is right. I looked up the Luhn Algorithm and found a calculator here => http://planetcalc.com/2464/

It works for all three Mariner Numbers I know.

Thanks! (I realize this is an extremely limited interest topic.) I checked both of our numbers and the dummy ones from the HAL promo emails. Our real Mariner numbers have a check digit (the next check digit after modulo 10 Luhn checksum.) The dummy number from the promo email does not validate.

If you want to try this on your own Mariner number and don't feel in the mood for modulo math, there's a calculator here. Just plug in the first 8 digits of your Mariner Number.

http://planetcalc.com/2464/

Edited by POA1

Our first cruise was in 2006, our numbers have 9 digits, beginning 061.

But our numbers are not consecutive.

Are they if you ignore the last digit? The last is just a check digit, as explained in post #35. Edited by jtl513

WOW, I am impressed! CC has some very smart people. I still wonder if there is an order in which they are passed out?

I think smaller people usually pass out first unless there have a high tolerance for alcohol. ;)

WOW, I am impressed! CC has some very smart people. I still wonder if there is an order in which they are passed out?
I'm beginning to think there are "blocks" of numbers for different categories of people. It seems to me that if you got your number as a result of taking a cruise it starts with a zero. Very early cruisers got 00, KrazyKruizers 02 (1996), ours are 04 (2002), a friend is 06 (2007), etc

When I put down a deposit (with my TA in FL) for my first-timer DD/DSiL they got 375. A few years later I put down a deposit (on board) for first-timers DB/DSiL they got 410.

A friend who has been on a Princess cruise but not yet on HAL is 742.

Stratheden DH's 424 (2013) could fit the pattern (if it was issued before 1st cruise), but her 279 does not. Neither does runnergilr71's 288.

Edited by jtl513

Are they if you ignore the last digit? The last is just a check digit, as explained in post #35.

If I ignore the last digit, our numbers still are not consecutive.

I tried it regarding our numbers, but ran into a couple of anomalies. Our numbers - issued at the same time - have identical digits for the first 6; the last 3 are different, but are 8 numbers apart in sequence.

When I ran my number through the process it processed out to 0. The DH's number processed out to 2.

My DS (and my techo geek) found it interesting but could not come up with a solution.

Any suggestions from the CC'rs? (POA1 and VioletHorse). ;)

Okie

I'm beginning to think there are "blocks" of numbers for different categories of people. It seems to me that if you got your number as a result of taking a cruise it starts with a zero. Very early cruisers got 00, KrazyKruizers 02 (1996), ours are 04 (2002), a friend is 06 (2007), etc

When I put down a deposit (with my TA in FL) for my first-timer DD/DSiL they got 375. A few years later I put down a deposit (on board) for first-timers DB/DSiL they got 410.

A friend who has been on a Princess cruise but not yet on HAL is 742.

Stratheden DH's 424 (2013) could fit the pattern (if it was issued before 1st cruise), but her 279 does not. Neither does runnergilr71's 288.

That sounds very plausible. It may be a way that HAL tracks its new customers from their originating source, as in first time cruiser within the Carnival Corporations's group of cruiselines, no FCD involved; new cruisers with FCD; new to HAL but have sailed on another Carnival Corporation line; new to Carnival Corporation/HAL but have cruised on other non-Carnival Corporation cruise lines etc.

Our numbers start with 05 (2004). We were first time cruisers with no prior cruises on any line.

Any suggestions from the CC'rs? (POA1 and VioletHorse).
Did you put in just the first 8 digits, hit Calculate, and the "Next Check Digit" that it gave you did not match the 9th digit in each case? If that's the case I would log on the HAL site and Look Up Mariner Number to see if that says the same numbers you're using. Edited by jtl513