Summit Oceanview Cafe Changes

cle-guy

After a few experiences of juggling the baskets and plates, I finally ditched the baskets. I took a large oval plate. As I picked up a metal basket, I dumped its contents on my plate. I then handed the empty basket back to the server. The server looked confused. That way, I was able to fill my plate and carry it to a table. Trying to carry more than 2 of those those baskets is crazy. I would need more hands.

Thanks!

I will cruise against next year, possibly on X and most of the time will avoid the buffet like the plague. Let the cattle hunt for food and take cold pre-plated food and wear signs around their neck saying “it’s still better than NCL i guess”.

But 6 year old DD likes choices at Buffet so I’ll still have to utilize it some.

Just returned from the 5/25 Summit to Bermuda, and count me among the supporters of the new "small plates" approach in the buffet. It is consistent with what I've seen in some of the higher-end Las Vegas buffets, and makes for a more attractive and interesting layout. One unusual feature was that bread is now served in individual white paper bags, with the type of bread hand-written on the bag. And yes, there were metal baskets, lined with parchment paper, in which the burgers and fries were served in the Mast Grill. I didn't experience any problem with food being cold or stale.

To me the biggest benefit is hygiene -- we no longer have lines of people handling the same serving utensils. For example, I stood behind a woman in the line for sushi one afternoon. While standing there she was holding a plate of BBQ ribs that she was eating with her fingers, then she licked her fingers clean. You can guess what happened next -- she reached for the utensils and used those same hands to serve up her sushi selections.

Overall, I appreciate Celebrity's effort to freshen the look of the buffet and improve the hygiene situation. I see from the reviews of the past several weeks that the first week was rough, but they're modifying this new approach based on the feedback they've received -- I'm all for it.

My husband is a vegan and I am a vegetarian so I have to tell you that these pre-plated dishes with vegetables and meat on the same plate sound like an absolute nightmare to me.

And for people with food allergies the possibility of cross contamination is even worse!

I hope this experiment either stays on the Summit (and we'll avoid sailing on her) or just ends.

I am an ovo-lacto veg and I had no problems.

No cross contamination if you are observant (I am sure you are;)).

When I got stir fry he sent the pan back to the kitchen to be washed, and he was very busy..........what service.

Just returned from the 5/25 Summit to Bermuda, and count me among the supporters of the new "small plates" approach in the buffet. It is consistent with what I've seen in some of the higher-end Las Vegas buffets, and makes for a more attractive and interesting layout. One unusual feature was that bread is now served in individual white paper bags, with the type of bread hand-written on the bag. And yes, there were metal baskets, lined with parchment paper, in which the burgers and fries were served in the Mast Grill. I didn't experience any problem with food being cold or stale.

To me the biggest benefit is hygiene -- we no longer have lines of people handling the same serving utensils. For example, I stood behind a woman in the line for sushi one afternoon. While standing there she was holding a plate of BBQ ribs that she was eating with her fingers, then she licked her fingers clean. You can guess what happened next -- she reached for the utensils and used those same hands to serve up her sushi selections.

Overall, I appreciate Celebrity's effort to freshen the look of the buffet and improve the hygiene situation. I see from the reviews of the past several weeks that the first week was rough, but they're modifying this new approach based on the feedback they've received -- I'm all for it.

I usually don`t eat in buffets because I have a suppressed immune system.........but I felt "safe" with most food with this system. I loved the breads wrapped.

Thanks!

I will cruise against next year, possibly on X and most of the time will avoid the buffet like the plague. Let the cattle hunt for food and take cold pre-plated food and wear signs around their neck saying “it’s still better than NCL i guess”.

But 6 year old DD likes choices at Buffet so I’ll still have to utilize it some.

:rolleyes:

Very informative. Do you know if they are looking to implement some version of this experiment fleetwide or only on M class ships? Thanks

From my understanding with my discussions oath the F&B director Martin and others, they assembled the "Celebrity Dream Team" of F&B, hotels etc. to Summit where they intend to explore many new service ideas in multiple departments. While I didn't notice anything anywhere but F&B on this cruise (well, maybe engineering with a proliferation of LED lighting replacing halogens and incandescent), It sounds like they are "task forcing" it and will work each new idea until they perfect it then roll out.

Martin explained this has been in discussion for just over a year on how to improve steadily falling F&B guest satisfaction and become more back to the "luxury" they have been known for, and that they have finally started to implement some of the new ideas. As I have described, there were tweaks daily in the buffet (I come from hospitality so was able to easily discern minor changes and see how management was observing). Martin did not say they would roll out fleet wide, but clearly with so much attention to this, and investment in the new metal pans, baskets, trays etc. this is something they are keen to roll out in the future. They had new tiered displays, fancy bowls for the salad bar toppings etc. They would add and remove panes of the sneeze guards on various stations as they noticed what was in the way of the new displays and the method guests were either served or self served along the line etc.

I'm certain once they feel they have got this perfected as far as choke points and waiting time, and staffing ability, and appropriate number of food options each service period, they will look to roll out fleet wide, even on S class. As some (and I) have already noted, it also adds a level of cleanliness and sanitary control, in additional to providing the exact recipe and flavor profile for each dish served, so there are many positives with this new system. I also think it will provide less waste as there aren't any big chafing dishes going cold or getting crusty to be tossed and replaced with a new one, as they generally only have 6 to 8 proportioned dishes of each option on the one at one time, a constant replacement of those ensuring quality, and less waste and more control.

Another observations I just remembered, they had waiters with carts pushing around the buffet dining room at breakfast serving and refilling coffee, tea and juices. I rarely do breakfast, so perhaps this is a common occurrence, but I did notice it and thought it was a nice service point.

From my understanding with my discussions oath the F&B director Martin and others, they assembled the "Celebrity Dream Team" of F&B, hotels etc. to Summit where they intend to explore many new service ideas in multiple departments. While I didn't notice anything anywhere but F&B on this cruise (well, maybe engineering with a proliferation of LED lighting replacing halogens and incandescent), It sounds like they are "task forcing" it and will work each new idea until they perfect it then roll out.

Martin explained this has been in discussion for just over a year on how to improve steadily falling F&B guest satisfaction and become more back to the "luxury" they have been known for, and that they have finally started to implement some of the new ideas. As I have described, there were tweaks daily in the buffet (I come from hospitality so was able to easily discern minor changes and see how management was observing). Martin did not say they would roll out fleet wide, but clearly with so much attention to this, and investment in the new metal pans, baskets, trays etc. this is something they are keen to roll out in the future. They had new tiered displays, fancy bowls for the salad bar toppings etc. They would add and remove panes of the sneeze guards on various stations as they noticed what was in the way of the new displays and the method guests were either served or self served along the line etc.

I'm certain once they feel they have got this perfected as far as choke points and waiting time, and staffing ability, and appropriate number of food options each service period, they will look to roll out fleet wide, even on S class. As some (and I) have already noted, it also adds a level of cleanliness and sanitary control, in additional to providing the exact recipe and flavor profile for each dish served, so there are many positives with this new system. I also think it will provide less waste as there aren't any big chafing dishes going cold or getting crusty to be tossed and replaced with a new one, as they generally only have 6 to 8 proportioned dishes of each option on the one at one time, a constant replacement of those ensuring quality, and less waste and more control.

Another observations I just remembered, they had waiters with carts pushing around the buffet dining room at breakfast serving and refilling coffee, tea and juices. I rarely do breakfast, so perhaps this is a common occurrence, but I did notice it and thought it was a nice service point.

I had heard Summit was going to be an experiment back in Nov by the guest service manage on Constellation, but not told what type of experiemtents. I assumed them taking some of the new shows from Reflection and putting them on Summit was what he meant. It has been very interesting to read your posts. It will be interesting to see what has changed come August when I am booked to sail.

I don't love buffets, but my favorite one is the Wicked Spoon at the Cosmo in Vegas . It is probably the best buffet I have every seen. The one advantage they have is space, and LOTS of it. It's probably as big as an entire deck of the summit and could seat all of the passengers at ONCE. They control it with a line to seat patrons, but they seat them as fast as they can clean tables. There are LOTS of pre-portioned foods, and baskets and no trays. Somehow they seem to feed the HORDS (and I mean by the thousands) without a problem.

You should try it Curt, they have a special line for Marriott Rewards Elite ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You should try it Curt, they have a special line for Marriott Rewards Elite ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Cosmo is the only place I stay in Vegas :D Each time I've scored an upgrade to fountain room suite. It was originally going to be condos for sale, then the market tanked so they went hotel and got into Marriotts' Autograph boutique collection, so room upgrades are actually pretty simple to get since it was originally apartment style.

You mentioned staff discussion on Constellation, I just remembered Christian the Guest Services Manager was in that role on reflection in November. He remembered me on sight and greeted me by name outside Al Bacio one day this cruise.

Edited by cle-guy

Cosmo is the only place I stay in Vegas :D Each time I've scored an upgrade to fountain room suite. It was originally going to be condos for sale, then the market tanked so they went hotel and got into Marriotts' Autograph boutique collection, so room upgrades are actually pretty simple to get since it was originally apartment style.

There are still some unfinished floors in the south tower (or whatever they call it).

I know it's off topic but I've had some crazy rooms there, one with windows on three sides, 1700 sq ft and three bathrooms! The wrap around 1 bedrooms are really nice but the studios aren't bad either.

They did take the washer and dryers out :( and never had any silverware or enough glassware in the kitchens though.

If Celebrity can bring F&B up to that level, or half the level, and maybe do some specialty restaurants the way vegas does, then YEAH! Jose Andres anyone? Daniel Boulud? Morimoto? Maybe it will be like that, a little in the new restaurant? We can only hope!

Happys sailing,

Jenna

All in all I agree the basket service in the Buffet is much better and no one touches your food or your container.

The Elite Breakfast was not to our liking. The 3 tired plates had alot of food we did not want. Only one muffin for 2 people, alot of crossiants that we did not want. We went only once as the food upstairs was fine and we got what we wanted.

Our Below 54 entertainer was Ken Page and he was Excelent. The show was good and then on the last night he did a small part in the final show.

Sue

It took a little time for me to get used to the new buffet. I stayed mostly in the back where the omelets and fresh waffles were. Annoying that there was no meat back by the waffle station so we had to go to the omelet station. One morning there was no meat at either. Not the end of the world, just annoying. I was frustrated that on 2 days the milk at the back coffee stations were both empty and I had to go to the main buffet area to pick up a carton of milk. I never took the pre-plated eggs, but I did take the french toast. It bugged me to no end that the french toast was put sideways in a basket. It's impossible to eat french toast this way!

Other than the first day, I did my best to avoid the buffet for lunch. Pre-plated burgers at the grill were fine, they were so busy the food didn't have time to get cold.

We did chat with our waiter about our experiences with the buffet. He actually wrote down our suggestions, so Celebrity IS paying attention. We saw a lot of managers surveying the buffet and watching people's reactions to it. We also spoke to an assistant maitre'd who told us they would be making changes and that the new buffet is a work in progress. Overall, I think the buffet will be even better once they work out the kinks.

We only did the buffet once for breakfast and did find it very confusing. but my DH LOVED the breakfast sandwiches they had.

I thought it worked much better for lunch and we ate there every day for lunch. We usually go to Bistro on 5 at least once for lunch and did not this cruise.

Annoying that there was no meat back by the waffle station so we had to go to the omelet station.

One morning there was no meat at either.

It bugged me to no end that the french toast was put sideways in a basket. It's impossible to eat french toast this way!

Weird, may have been a timing issue on the meats, as my go-to for extra breakfast meat was the waffle station. But it was a daily changing experience, so perhaps they were trying to determine what worked best for folks. I found meat at egg stations and waffles area when I was looking.

I'd agree that if french toast was in a basket that's quite odd indeed, unless it was to be presented like french toast sticks to be dipped. but if plain old french toast, very, very weird and not well thought out at all.

I'm very excited about the new ocean view, and love how much attention they are paying to every small detail, and all the experimentation and changing they do daily to tweak it just right. They will nail this down to perfection I'm sure within a month if not sooner.

If the solution involves trays, that will be a problem on the S-class ships since there are no tray rests. Should be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Do they still have a "make your own" salad bar?

If the solution involves trays, that will be a problem on the S-class ships since there are no tray rests. Should be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Do they still have a "make your own" salad bar?

Yes there is make your own salad bar, I think the toppings remain the same, though felt the dressings were a bit enhanced versus what I had on the Eclipse TA this spring. They also had several prepared pre-plated special salads, perhaps 5 varieties at a time, and a made-to-order Ceasar Salad station.

Hadn't thought about try rests, although the trays are small, about the size of a single dinner plate and room to hold 1 or 2 of the small baskets. I suppose the investment in tray rests would't be too bad overall if the program works well, may be able to simply extend the ledges of the solid surface instead of cafeteria style metal bars and keep it looking neat and cohesive, also providing resting place for the extras like decorations and special condiments and topping stations.

I can remember sitting my plate on the ledges while waiting for cooked-to-order paninis and pizza for example already on Eclipse, but a larger surface would be better for sure.

Wait. What? Blu no longer serves breakfast a sit down breakfast menu.

I have my doubts this is going to work...I like crispy bacon with my french toast at the cafe/buffet, and usually more than 2 slices...do I need to grab 2 dishes of eggs to get 4 pieces of bacon? Who is going to eat the eggs and sausage I don't want?

sounds like portion control and cost cutting to me.

Yes there is make your own salad bar, I think the toppings remain the same, though felt the dressings were a bit enhanced versus what I had on the Eclipse TA this spring. They also had several prepared pre-plated special salads, perhaps 5 varieties at a time, and a made-to-order Ceasar Salad station.

Hadn't thought about try rests, although the trays are small, about the size of a single dinner plate and room to hold 1 or 2 of the small baskets. I suppose the investment in tray rests would't be too bad overall if the program works well, may be able to simply extend the ledges of the solid surface instead of cafeteria style metal bars and keep it looking neat and cohesive, also providing resting place for the extras like decorations and special condiments and topping stations.

I can remember sitting my plate on the ledges while waiting for cooked-to-order paninis and pizza for example already on Eclipse, but a larger surface would be better for sure.

May I ask....do you prefer this new set up or the old way? I see most of the posted member reviews didn't really care for it at all. I underrstand the 4:00 tea is now in the aqua spa cafe...what is now in the buffet at 4pm? Thanks!

Thanks!

We agree...usually enjoy Blu where we hope our food is not sitting cold or under a heat lamp in some dish in the back. Pre-plated takes away choice, food may be less fresh....

sometimes we must do the buffet due to scheduling and once per cruise for a waffle treat... but we will be careful to get freshly cooked if possible...

Your comment including NCL also hits the mark...a few years ago the two lines would not even be discussed in the same breath....nor would we be absorbed in drink package threads...seem to have replaced the dress code threads since.that battle has been lost!

still have two booked on X and will seek out Modern Luxury wherever we can find it !

Edited by hcat

sounds like portion control and cost cutting to me.

As for portion control --- certain things for lunch they would have 2 in a basket - 2 spring rolls, 2 quesidillas, 2 tacos, etc. DH and I found it was a waste because we could only eat one. You can always go back and get more. I'd rather the hand out even smaller portions. Most of the pre-portioned cold salads were enough for 4 people.

May I ask....do you prefer this new set up or the old way? I see most of the posted member reviews didn't really care for it at all. I underrstand the 4:00 tea is now in the aqua spa cafe...what is now in the buffet at 4pm? Thanks!

Most people that we talked to on our sailing including DH and I liked it much better than the old buffet. Looks more appealing, cleaner and appetizing. There are a few foods that don't work well, but if they can hone recipes, etc, I think it will be good. All the food tasted much better this year in the buffet for lunch than last year and my DH loved the breakfast sandwiches.

Most people that we talked to on our sailing including DH and I liked it much better than the old buffet. Looks more appealing, cleaner and appetizing. There are a few foods that don't work well, but if they can hone recipes, etc, I think it will be good. All the food tasted much better this year in the buffet for lunch than last year and my DH loved the breakfast sandwiches.

Thanks! Do you know what they now serve at 4 pm in the buffet? We usually skip lunch and go for the tea sandwiches...doesn't sound so great at the aqua cafe.

We have peferred M class buffet set up with trays over dizzy disorganized S class

..now something new altogether...only experience we have with little plastic baskets is at fast food places....are we still being alloted silverware and plates...or just the basketfood?

as a diabetic I prefer to make up my own plate.for breakfast and esp if it's a lunch sandwhich..but I am sure we'll figure out how to avoid basket foraging....

Edited by hcat

There are trays, silverware, plates, nice bowls. The baskets, bowls, pots, etc. are nice looking, something you would find in Bed, Bath and Beyond or Williams Sonoma. Not cheap, fast food looking stuff at all. Nothing is PLASTIC!!

We never went to the tea or buffet at 4 Pm since we eat lunch at 2:00 PM. I know they have Pizza and Pasta out at that time in the buffet area and was told the tea offerings in the Aqua Spa Cafe were nice.

We agree...usually enjoy Blu where we hope our food is not sitting cold or under a heat lamp in some dish in the back. Pre-plated takes away choice, food may be less fresh....

sometimes we must do the buffet due to scheduling and once per cruise for a waffle treat... but we will be careful to get freshly cooked if possible...

Your comment including NCL also hits the mark...a few years ago the two lines would not even be discussed in the same breath....nor would we be absorbed in drink package threads...seem to have replaced the dress code threads since.that battle has been lost!

still have two booked on X and will seek out Modern Luxury wherever we can find it !

BINGO. Today Celebrity is on par with NCL, I believe NCL has kicked it up a notch and Celebrity is cutting back. Time will tell but I will still sail Celebrity but to Bermuda if the cost is the same NCL.