Soft drinks

Alicomp

We are thinking of taking our first Oceania cruise. I read that soft drinks are complimentary. What type of soft drinks are available and where do you get them? Buffet? Steward? Bars? Are they in cans or fountain drinks?

Thank you.

Everywhere there is food or drink -- bars, dining venues, room service. Cans only.

You will also have a refrigerator in your stateroom that will be stocked with soft drinks. You can let your cabin steward know your preferences and he or she will make sure your soft drink of choice is in there for you.

I remember them having Coke, Diet Coke (or Coke Light), Sprite, club soda and tonic.

If you choose a concierge level cabin on the Marina (or Riviera), the concierge room will have a mini cooler fridge stocked with all different kinds too.

EVERY cabin has a mini fridge -- even the inside cabins

If you must have a particular soda you can request it from Oceania through your TA and they will do their best to have it for you in your stateroom. The request must be made WELL in advance and can only be honored if the local supplier at the departure port has it in stock.

If you enter our cabin on any cruise you will see Dr. Pepper piled high everywhere. LOL My husband is addicted.

EVERY cabin has a mini fridge -- even the inside cabins

If you must have a particular soda you can request it from Oceania through your TA and they will do their best to have it for you in your stateroom. The request must be made WELL in advance and can only be honored if the local supplier at the departure port has it in stock.

If you enter our cabin on any cruise you will see Dr. Pepper piled high everywhere. LOL My husband is addicted.

THIS ^^^^^^

We had our TA request diet tonic for our cabin. It is my go-to beverage. The fridge was stuffed with it. Schweppes.

My DW is "addicted" to Diet Dr. Pepper. Good to know we can request it. Question: Since it's her preferred dinner beverage, can you bring a can to dinner?

My DW is "addicted" to Diet Dr. Pepper. Good to know we can request it. Question: Since it's her preferred dinner beverage, can you bring a can to dinner?

Absolutely. Your server will "decant" it for you. LOL The guy on the cruise with the can of Dr.Pepper in his hand is my husband.

Be sure to have your TA make the request months in advance. There are considerable logistics involved in getting a special soft drink on board and the cruise line needs a lot of lead time. If they can do it, they will.

You need to pre-order drinks like Caffeine Free Diet coke and I believe Perrier as well.

Caffeine free Diet Coke, although I no longer drink it, will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first of those chemical laden pseudo-sodas about which my Doctor advised me that I'd be better off drinking alcohol-

Caffeine free Diet Coke, although I no longer drink it, will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first of those chemical laden pseudo-sodas about which my Doctor advised me that I'd be better off drinking alcohol-

You have a wise Doctor! :D

You have a wise Doctor! :D

I wonder what is the major difference between diet Dr. Pepper and caffeine free diet coke in terms of chemicals :D

I don't drink either - love my club soda or Perrier.

Hmm...I wonder if I could use that as an excuse :p

I'm on a 12 step program for Diet Coke:D I am completing my fifth month without Diet Coke. I have some leftover in my garage and may use it to clean my battery!

Seriously, you can get almost anything you want. If Oceania does not typically carry it, ask your TA to contact them and they will try to get it onboard.

I wonder what is the major difference between diet Dr. Pepper and caffeine free diet coke in terms of chemicals :D

Science moment: There is little to no difference between the two. The controversy arises from the use of the artificial sweetener aspartame. Some claim that diet sodas create a craving for sugar ( since they have none) that causes people to overeat sweets. There is little vetted scientific literature out there to support this claim. Another claim is that aspartame is a carcinogen, again no real scientific evidence of this other than some early (1980's) studies where mice were fed massive amounts of the pure substance. Bottom line, drink in moderation as you should with any food.

TC2: Good for you in weaning away from the "sweet" stuff. My wife is down to one can at dinner. :)

THIS ^^^^^^

We had our TA request diet tonic for our cabin. It is my go-to beverage. The fridge was stuffed with it. Schweppes.

Oh yay! Diet Tonic is my go-to soda as well. Sent an email to our TA just a few minutes ago. :D

Science moment: There is little to no difference between the two. The controversy arises from the use of the artificial sweetener aspartame. Some claim that diet sodas create a craving for sugar ( since they have none) that causes people to overeat sweets. There is little vetted scientific literature out there to support this claim. Another claim is that aspartame is a carcinogen, again no real scientific evidence of this other than some early (1980's) studies where mice were fed massive amounts of the pure substance. Bottom line, drink in moderation as you should with any food.

TC2: Good for you in weaning away from the "sweet" stuff. My wife is down to one can at dinner. :)

One big difference is that Diet Dr. Pepper has caffeine, and obviously Caffeine Free Diet Coke wouldn't.

I bought some powdered water recently....could not work out what to mix it with !!

courtesy Steven Wright

Brian

The beauty of powdered water is that it mixes with anything! :D

• 2 months later...

We are in an inside cabin for our transatlantic cruise in Nov. I sent an e-mail to our TA this morning requesting caffeine free diet coke, as my husband is diabetic, and she told me there is a charge to pre order if you are in an inside cabin.

Do you know if this is true? She was e-mailing Oceania to get me a price list.

Thank you.

Ellen:)

We are in an inside cabin for our transatlantic cruise in Nov. I sent an e-mail to our TA this morning requesting caffeine free diet coke, as my husband is diabetic, and she told me there is a charge to pre order if you are in an inside cabin.

Do you know if this is true? She was e-mailing Oceania to get me a price list.

Thank you.

Ellen:)

There was a big brouhaha about this around eighteen months ago and then it died down.

I believe that the story is that the charge is dependent on whether the beverage that you are ordering is available in the region where the ship is being provisioned before your cruise. If they would have to fly a specific type of soda in to accommodate you, and you won't accept a substitute, then there is an additional charge.