Transatlantic Cruise Advice please

DaisyUK

Am thinking of booking a TA but need to do so within 48 hrs if I want to secure the suite I want. For those of you who have done this before, would you do it again? (Europe-Miami). Is it a bumpy ride? Is it too cold to go outdoors? Is there enough to do onboard? What is the draw of a TA? From our perspective, it's an alternative way of getting where we need to be and would be a new experience, but we are inexperienced cruisers (one cruise only to date, in the Med) so have no idea what to expect.

Am thinking of booking a TA but need to do so within 48 hrs if I want to secure the suite I want. For those of you who have done this before, would you do it again? (Europe-Miami). Is it a bumpy ride? Is it too cold to go outdoors? Is there enough to do onboard? What is the draw of a TA? From our perspective, it's an alternative way of getting where we need to be and would be a new experience, but we are inexperienced cruisers (one cruise only to date, in the Med) so have no idea what to expect.

i only have one TA under my belt, but it is one our favorite cruises. We did Rome to Ft Lauderdale a couple of years ago in late October. Our cruise experienced very good weather except for one day when we ran into the remnants of Sandy and had 25' seas. We sat outside almost everyday and the temp was in the mid to high 70's most of the time.

There were lectures and things to do, but our favorite thing is reading and playing poker - luckily they had a texas holdem table that got a lot of action (this was not Oceania, but I would love to do an Oceania TA so I could enjoy the ship more).

I also liked the fact that we gained an hour a day for most of the 8 days crossing...

Edited by alexspepa

We have done several but all in the opposite direction. We have always enjoyed sea days so the TA was a natural extension.

Don't know about Oceania but on Celebrity, RCCI, and P and O there has always been plenty to do. We have always had fairly calm seas and been warm enough .

In April did the Miami-Barcelona TA on Riviera. Had a PH to enjoy the 9 Sea Days with stops in Bermuda, Funchal, and Tangier. Very smooth, no rough weather. Probably the most relaxing trip ever...just enjoyed the ship and activities if we chose to. Lots of naps, movies, reading, and varsity level trivia, interspersed with GREAT food,drink, and new friends. Was talked into cooking class and loved it. Your point about time change is well taken, going eastbound, we groaned upon returning to our suite to find a reminder that we were going to lose an hour, seemed like every nite. Of course somehow we toughed it out and adjusted!!....generally by sleeping in another hour in the am. or tacking an hour onto the pm. nap!! Unlike a more port-intensive cruise where you're up at the crack of dawn, rushing through room service, to get to an excursion, you take life as it comes, heaven forbid skipping:eek: breakfast or a more leisurely MDR experience. I thought I was going to be bored to tears, and on the contrary both DW and myself found the experience SO good and relaxing, we have booked another TA, this time from Capetown to Rio. Gaining hours westbound is also appealing!! Although Oceania does the same cruise, we have booked/returned to Regent for this next TA as we preferred the timing, and the all-inclusivity of the Regent experience, for us internet, beverages, and yes even excursions. We are silver and get a lot of other perks in addition which make Regent cost-beneficial, but have absolutely no complaints with our O experience.:D:D:D

We're on one right now (NYC to Dover) and did another last November (Barcelona to Rio). So clearly we like them!

I didn't always like sea days. When we started cruising I really disliked them. But I have changed my mind.

We're doing a sort-of trans-oceanic next year, Lima to NYC. (The cruise prior to the one we're on now.)

Depending on time of year and route you may not be able to use a balcony if you opt for a balcony stateroom. But we're here today in New Foundland where we expected to be freezing and we were in shirt sleeves. It's cooler on the deck than it was on land, but very comfortable.

Just remember, where weather is concerned - there are no guarantees!

Also, we've had rough seas on some TAs, and smooth sailing on others. So far on this cruise, it's been like sailing on glass.

Mura

We endorse all the above comments. We have been on several TA's,mostly from East to West, and have loved every one of them. Bring a variety of "weather" clothes, and you can enjoy the outdoors everyday (except for torrential rains, of course).

It is so relaxing, and there is a variety of activities if you so choose.

Enjoy, and book that stateroom. I don't think you will regret it, particularly on O.

Thanks all. If I book this, it is Barcelona to Miami in November 2015 (long way in advance, but first TA from or to Miami which has Oc. suites available). On the plus side, I'm thinking luxurious accommodations, fine dining, entertainment if we want it, and lots of time to relax. On the minus side, it's going to be pretty chilly mid-Atlantic, and there's always the risk of a hurricane once we get within reach of Florida... and what if one of us gets seasick if it's rough. Oh well, I have 48 hours to make up my mind.

Sounds like you're having a great time Mura, am enjoying reading about your time on Marina.

Thanks all. If I book this, it is Barcelona to Miami in November 2015 (long way in advance, but first TA from or to Miami which has Oc. suites available). On the plus side, I'm thinking luxurious accommodations, fine dining, entertainment if we want it, and lots of time to relax. On the minus side, it's going to be pretty chilly mid-Atlantic, and there's always the risk of a hurricane once we get within reach of Florida... and what if one of us gets seasick if it's rough. Oh well, I have 48 hours to make up my mind.

Sounds like you're having a great time Mura, am enjoying reading about your time on Marina.

Daisy,

As I said, we did Barcelona-Rio in November and it was warm if not downright hot. Yes, that's further south than Barcelona-Miami. But we've done Miami-Barcelona in April and it was very comfortable. I doubt it's all that different in November. As I said earlier, the balcony might pose problems because of winds. But if you're in an OC you should be VERY happy! (We were in the aft OC on our BCN-Rio cruise and I used the deck a lot.)

We ARE having a lovely time on Marina! Time to go to dinner ...

Mura

I love Oceania, but I would not do another TA on O. I find it boring. There simply are not enough activities to keep me interested and the entertainment is . . . lacking. For a TA, the ship is the destination. I simply cannot do 5 or 6 days in a row at sea on O again.

We are looking at doing a TA in Spring 2016 before we spend time in southern Spain. Do not freak out fellow O cruisers -- but we are looking at doing a top suite an RCCL megaship (Allure) or the The Haven on NCL (which gets rave reviews from luxury cruisers). There are few kids on a TA and we want some good entertainment in the evening and more to do during the day. We do not cruise for the food so I am willing to "sacrifice" in that area but I cannot imagine I will not find something good to eat.

I know many upscale cruisers who have sailed on Allure or Oasis or Epic and all have raved about the entertainment and the experience. We want to do it once and we think a TA is the way to do it.

SWMbI and I rode Riviera BCN to MIA last November. I absolutely loved it - as mentioned above the lack of constant port days gave the whole trip an almost fairy tale quality. SWMbI is gluten intolerant so all but the lemon cooking class was out for her. But we shipped a case of our favorite wine to the ship and starting the second night at La Reserve we met a motley crew of like-minded rogues and from there on life was a constant series of bachannals in one penthouse suite or another and somehow ending up in mainly specialties for dinner.

Only one night of slight seas which we slept through uninterrupted. Weather was comfortably warm on board and ashore. Lots of shipboard activities and lovely nooks to investigate. Crew were superb - always unfailingly friendly and helpful. Don't miss the ship's Country Fair!

We're going the other direction on Riviera next April and can't wait to get started.

JMBobB

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

but I must say, you are right...the Haven on NCL is really nice, and they do let you eat in the specialty restaurants and even have their own diningroom. Go for it...it is a much larger ship with a lot to do. I can't remember all of your post, but in the top suites Celebrity is fine and they do have a butler as does NCL.

We have done two of them. One on Regent with 8 days of ports and 8 days across to Ft. Lauderdale and a back to back from Istanbul to Miami last year on Oceania. It's like Summer Camp for adults.

On both cruises there were bridge lessons and we learned to play on one back in 2007 when we took the first. My husband has become an avid player; I play with him when he needs a partner. He was so happy to play every day. In exchange, he joined me in the Culinary Center for a class.

We found that there are things to do - but for me not enough on board. We do like to relax and read and we are easy to entertain ourselves. My husband is content with little to do. Some days you find you are just waiting for breakfast, a lecture or class, a few of the group events like Baggo, lunch, a nap or class, tea/trivia, a wine tasting a little music or lecture and then dinner, the show, and time for sleep.

We did not like the exercise instructor and the spa for us was overpriced.

I probably would not do one without a few good pre cruise ports. We have found the weather variable. We had rain in Spain and clear the rest of the way with a few bumps last time. The ship was lovely and food was great

but I must say, you are right...the Haven on NCL is really nice, and they do let you eat in the specialty restaurants and even have their own diningroom. Go for it...it is a much larger ship with a lot to do. I can't remember all of your post, but in the top suites Celebrity is fine and they do have a butler as does NCL.

We have sailed on Celebrity and we love the S class ships. They now have a new program called "the suite life." I would consider that as well.

I am looking for an itinerary that goes FL to Barcelona in late April 2016. Itineraries are not out yet. Hoping one of those lines will work.

Another consideration for us is that we have been fortunate to have tons of air miles and we have been flying business class for free for years. The party is almost over since I stopped flying for business. A TA on one of these 3 lines is comparatively inexpensive even in a top suite compared to cost of a business class ticket.

I know some veteran O cruisers are shocked at the idea but we like to mix it up.

This is a really interesting thread and I am glad that it was started! We are booked on the TA in October on Insignia, and we were initially worried about a lack of things to do. The first part of the cruise has stops in Ireland, and then the TA part, and then stops in Canada and New England before ending up in NYC, but there are still a lot of sea days.

Before booking, I tried to get more info from Oceania, and they did not have much to offer about onboard activities. Later, I found that there will be a bridge instructor on board. We are clueless about bridge, but I guess this might be a time to learn to play. :) I know we will find things to do, and hopefully the weather will be cooperative. I love to read, and walk, and we have booked what looks to be a nice cabin with a lovely balcony, so I think we will be fine. I am not expecting to be entertained 24/7, but a few trivia games or bingo or planned activities would be appreciated as well.

My sister and I did a Regent TA a few years ago, and we had a great time. There was a cooking class we enrolled in and we had so much fun with that group that we still talk about it. I am sure that this cruise will be just as much fun.

This is a really interesting thread and I am glad that it was started! We are booked on the TA in October on Insignia, and we were initially worried about a lack of things to do. The first part of the cruise has stops in Ireland, and then the TA part, and then stops in Canada and New England before ending up in NYC, but there are still a lot of sea days.

Before booking, I tried to get more info from Oceania, and they did not have much to offer about onboard activities. Later, I found that there will be a bridge instructor on board. We are clueless about bridge, but I guess this might be a time to learn to play. :) I know we will find things to do, and hopefully the weather will be cooperative. I love to read, and walk, and we have booked what looks to be a nice cabin with a lovely balcony, so I think we will be fine. I am not expecting to be entertained 24/7, but a few trivia games or bingo or planned activities would be appreciated as well.

Oh dear 3 sea days in a row ... what will you do

sometimes on a sea day they have had a Country Fair (weather permitting) lectures, movies, bingo, card games, cooking demos

If none of those are of interest perhaps a nap in library ;)

If you want to try a TA with a shorter crossing, take a look at 5/18/15 Montreal to London which we are on along with LHT28. There are only 3 sea days to cross the Atlantic because it is a shorter distance that far north.

We have done quite a few - Queen Mary years and years ago, then Italian line twice, Regent Voyager Rome to FLL in November one year. Then Regent Navigator FLL to Barcelona. We have loved them all. We are now booked for the April 15 TA on the Riviera in the Owners Suite. Can't wait!!

We are not people who need a lot of entertainment. Some lectures, for me a few cooking classes, lots of good books on the iPad and the computer (Cruise Critic and trip Advisor). Oceania's wonderful food (!) and the chance of getting up late every day if we choose to. We don't take shore excursions because we have been just about everywhere ships dock these days. Normally we just browse about on our own which is what we plan for Bermuda and Funchal. Gibraltar - I am dithering about and would be happy for suggestions from anyone who has been there before. I am afraid it is going to be rather "British Colonial seedy" and am thinking maybe I will turn that day into yet another wonderful sea day. For us the ship IS the destination and we love sea days.

Weather that we have had - varied. You have to take what comes along. Basically we have been somewhat lucky with temperatures generally into the 20°s © and not much rain or wind or heavy seas. But you never know. November and late March/April are dodgy everywhere.

We have done quite a few - Queen Mary years and years ago, then Italian line twice, Regent Voyager Rome to FLL in November one year. Then Regent Navigator FLL to Barcelona. We have loved them all. We are now booked for the April 15 TA on the Riviera in the Owners Suite. Can't wait!!

We are not people who need a lot of entertainment. Some lectures, for me a few cooking classes, lots of good books on the iPad and the computer (Cruise Critic and trip Advisor). Oceania's wonderful food (!) and the chance of getting up late every day if we choose to. We don't take shore excursions because we have been just about everywhere ships dock these days. Normally we just browse about on our own which is what we plan for Bermuda and Funchal. Gibraltar - I am dithering about and would be happy for suggestions from anyone who has been there before. I am afraid it is going to be rather "British Colonial seedy" and am thinking maybe I will turn that day into yet another wonderful sea day. For us the ship IS the destination and we love sea days.

Weather that we have had - varied. You have to take what comes along. Basically we have been somewhat lucky with temperatures generally into the 20°s © and not much rain or wind or heavy seas. But you never know. November and late March/April are dodgy everywhere.

Your planned cruise sounds great - and is another one we have been looking at, but isn't it 1st April, not 15th? We started out looking at this one, but the top suites were sold out. However, I see today that there is a Vista suite available so we are thinking about it. It will be interesting to hear your views on the Owner's Suite.

Like you, we don't need much in the way of planned entertainment. We enjoy each other's company, eating good food, drinking good wine, reading, listening to music and generally relaxing. So, all in all, I think we're going to go for it.

Hamagahle

I think it would be a pity to have visited Gibraltar and not gone up the Rock. We picked up a taxi in the town who took us up to the top where after seeing the monkeys we entered the Siege Tunnels. The taxi picked us up at t he other end of the Tunnels.

We probably not do it again. Did Riviera last year, Barcelona - Miami.

The best part was only having to fly a significant distance in one direction (in fact we didn't have to fly home at all from Miami, we drove.)

The ship was lovely, but we got tired of the sea days, and frankly found the activities a bit repetitive and pedestrian. The guest speakers weren't particularly good either.

And, the weather didn't cooperate. It was gloomy and windy most of the way across.

We did love our day in Funchal, and our day in Madeira. But even Bermuda was too gloomy to really enjoy.

Yes - I meant April 2015! April 1 to be precise!! And I cannot wait. But will have to.

thanks for the tip about going up the rock. I have been thinking about that but (even though I am Swiss!) I don't like téléphériques (cable cars) and neither do I much like narrow roads and I understand that it is either one or the other to go up to the top. Maybe I will just shut my eyes and take a taxi up there anyway. I have seen the rock from the sea several times - once at night, all lit up! - and it looks impressive. Siege tunnels? Not so sure. But what is the town like? Worth it or not?

DaisyUK - let me know if you take the Vista suite and will be on the cruise!

Edited by Hambagahle

DaisyUK - let me know if you take the Vista suite and will be on the cruise!

I will indeed. We have gone ahead and booked the November 2015 crossing, and are waitlisted for an Oc Suite on the April 2015 crossing. The Vista did become available, but I'm not sure a Vista suite is such a good idea on a translatlantic (not that I'm any expert, but having read reviews of the Vista suite it would seem that one of the major advantages is the generous balcony at the front, which I don't think we'd get the benefit of on a transatlantic, so don't think the additional cost worth it in this case).

It's a long time to wait but, in the meantime, we're looking forward to our first Oceania cruise in August this year.