Finally Booked! First Timer...still have a few questions!!

So after MONTHS of researching, I have finally booked my FIRST cruise to the western caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas leaving july 5th 2015! I decided to look an oceanview room with a window towards the front of the ship! However, now I have some very random questions...

1) I have heard that after you book, if the price for the cruise goes down, that will reflect on what you have left to pay. However, I have paid for the cruise in full. Would I get a credit if the price of the cruise goes down, or is that just the risk I am taking by paying in full? Just wondering!

2) I have a good amount of questions on the process of boarding the ship. Is there somewhere that will tell us more information when the cruise gets closer?

3) Still for boarding: How soon can you get on the ship? I have read many different places that it is best to get on asap but how will I know when that is? Is it like an airport when you need to be there 2 hours later? So, if I want to be in the ship by 2 pm, should I be there by noon?

4) As for towels needed during excursions, will this be provided by the cruise ship, or do I need to bring my own for those days? The cruise I am going on has ports 4 days in a row, and since me and my family have never really been on vacation we are planning to leave the ship as early as possible and return as late as possible. Just wondering the towel issue!

5) I was also wondering what advice anybody has for what to carry everything in during the excursions. And where do you put your bag/purse/whatever you bring while doing water activities/any activities?

That's all the questions I have for now!! Cruising is exciting but oh so confusing. Thanks much!!!!

So after MONTHS of researching, I have finally booked my FIRST cruise to the western caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas leaving july 5th 2015! I decided to look an oceanview room with a window towards the front of the ship! However, now I have some very random questions...

1) I have heard that after you book, if the price for the cruise goes down, that will reflect on what you have left to pay. However, I have paid for the cruise in full. Would I get a credit if the price of the cruise goes down, or is that just the risk I am taking by paying in full? Just wondering! As long as it is before RCI's final payment date you can get a price reduction, it does not matter if if you have already paid the total amount. If it is after final payment sometimes you can get a cabin upgrade. Keep checking the prices but be aware of the sales that say "new bookings only" in that case you cannot take advantage of the price drop.

2) I have a good amount of questions on the process of boarding the ship. Is there somewhere that will tell us more information when the cruise gets closer? All the information you need will be in your cruise docs. Port Canaveral is a really well run port and there are people who will guide you along the way.

3) Still for boarding: How soon can you get on the ship? I have read many different places that it is best to get on asap but how will I know when that is? Is it like an airport when you need to be there 2 hours later? So, if I want to be in the ship by 2 pm, should I be there by noon? I like to board early to avoid the crowds. I like to be at the port between 10:30 and 11:00 and am usually on the ship by 11:30. You may run the risk of large crowds at 2:00, but the port is used to moving a large amount of people.

4) As for towels needed during excursions, will this be provided by the cruise ship, or do I need to bring my own for those days? The cruise I am going on has ports 4 days in a row, and since me and my family have never really been on vacation we are planning to leave the ship as early as possible and return as late as possible. Just wondering the towel issue! Towels are provided

5) I was also wondering what advice anybody has for what to carry everything in during the excursions. And where do you put your bag/purse/whatever you bring while doing water activities/any activities? Depending on the excursion. I take as little as possible. Some organized excursions have placed to secure your belongings. Some people use waterproof bags for snorkeling.

That's all the questions I have for now!! Cruising is exciting but oh so confusing. Thanks much!!!!

I love the Freedom, you have chosen a great ship for your first cruise. People here are really friendly and happy to answer any questions.

Regarding price changes - much can depend on whether you booked directly with RC or if you used a travel agent. Keep checking the prices on line, if the price goes down, RC will credit you back the appropriate difference. This is up until the final payment date - even though you have already paid in full the cruise itself still has a "final payment date." After that time you can upgrade but not get a "refund" back. You have to check this yourself - RC will not notify you that the price has gone down. If you booked with a TA you can keep asking your TA to check - you may be locked in to a certain price, or your TA may not refund - they may have different rules. RC will not discuss your reservation with you if you booked with a TA. They will direct you to your TA,.

Towels are provided for pool and shore excursion use.

Sounds like you plan on being off the ship a lot - make sure you check your times carefully. The ship will not wait for you - even just a couple of minutes. Whatever time you are due back, make sure you are early! Always check ship's time.

Notice you are also from Wisconsin. It is a good idea to arrive at your port the day before. It can be risky to fly in the day of a cruise - weather, mechanical, crew delays, etc.

Usually you can board after 11:00 a.m. RC often tells you 2:00 p.m., but many people arrive around 11:00 or noon.

Keep reading and researching - there is a lot of information on Cruise Critic and similar websites.

Enjoy your cruise!

I see you're from Milwaukee! I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago.

If you're planning on flying down, I would recommend going in a day early and staying somewhere near the port. Less stressful and you can start your vacation a day early.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise!

Booking a pre-night is so much better!

We no longer make payments in advance. But we do make the full payment a week or two before final payment date. If there's a price drop and you've paid in full, I'm not sure you'll get a refund. But if you've not paid in full, you can always mutter something about cancelling and rebooking. That often turns them around. Price drops should be researched by you. Google price drops for websites. There's also a price drop facility here at CruiseCritic.

We do book the shore excursions we're really interested in on Royal's website in advance, but we're still undecided about prepaying specialty restaurants. Some ships have group specials, and if you prepay one before you cruise, they may not count that one toward the group special.

Personally, I'd hold off any drink packages and specialty dining on your first cruise.

Bring about 50 one-dollar bills for various tips. Also, sometimes the luggage takes a while to arrive. The latest we've gotten our luggage was after dinner.

If you can avoid Windjammer on embarkation day, it's much better. On the sister ship, we visited the pizza parlor on the promenade. Much quieter.

On shore excursions pack as light as possible. My husband brings a zippered tote bag that we store rain ponchos, the cruise compass (with Port Authority info). and the shore excursion form. Money, credit cards, etc goes in zippered pockets, money belts under the clothes, etc.

Edited by knittinggirl

1) I have heard that after you book, if the price for the cruise goes down, that will reflect on what you have left to pay. However, I have paid for the cruise in full. Would I get a credit if the price of the cruise goes down, or is that just the risk I am taking by paying in full? Just wondering!

2) I have a good amount of questions on the process of boarding the ship. Is there somewhere that will tell us more information when the cruise gets closer?Look at travel paperwork, online here and Royal's site.

3) Still for boarding: How soon can you get on the ship? I have read many different places that it is best to get on asap but how will I know when that is? Is it like an airport when you need to be there 2 hours later? So, if I want to be in the ship by 2 pm, should I be there by noon?I would say don't get there too early. Your travel paperwork should say what time they want your there. You may try and get on earlier. They may let you board. We do suites and suites have priority boarding.

4) As for towels needed during excursions, will this be provided by the cruise ship, or do I need to bring my own for those days? The cruise I am going on has ports 4 days in a row, and since me and my family have never really been on vacation we are planning to leave the ship as early as possible and return as late as possible. Just wondering the towel issue!As posted before the ship has towels. I would pace yourself. It may be a lot to spend ALL day out.

5) I was also wondering what advice anybody has for what to carry everything in during the excursions. And where do you put your bag/purse/whatever you bring while doing water activities/any activities? As posted, carry only what you need. Depending on what you do, you may have someplace to store your stuff. Look online for the Excursions and search the forum for storage places.

congrats on your first cruise!

Boarding the ship is like checking into a hotel....except you will walk thru a metal detector before heading to the check-in desk. Your carry ons will be scanned for weapons....that's the only difference! You will head to the check in line, go to a clerk, give them your ID's and credit card (or cash) and get your room key. Then, you will have a photo taken that links you to your key....so when you leave or reboard the ship, they KNOW it's YOU!

This is a great vacation...it's not really confusing or a mystery! It's fun!

There is a Meet & Mingle thread that has already started for your cruise. Here's the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038506

If you are looking for info about what a Meet & Mingle is, check under the Community Tab at the top of the page. It is the next item after Forums.

It is a way to get to know some of your shipmates that will be sailing on the same cruise as your family.

:cool:

thank you everyone!! I feel a lot less confused :) and YES, we of course we will be flying in early...i think actually two days early. I have way too much anxiety to risk missing the cruise!!

I have one last question: i have read that the time you are to be back at the ship on port days is according to the ship's time and not the local time, correct? If so, how do you usually keep track of the time? Just a watch set to the cruise's time? And how will we know the cruise's time? Are there a lot of clocks on the ship? And this is the last question I promise...how far in advance do we need to be back at the ship to avoid having the ship leave without us??!

thank you everyone!! I feel a lot less confused :) and YES, we of course we will be flying in early...i think actually two days early. I have way too much anxiety to risk missing the cruise!!

I have one last question: i have read that the time you are to be back at the ship on port days is according to the ship's time and not the local time, correct? If so, how do you usually keep track of the time? Just a watch set to the cruise's time? And how will we know the cruise's time? Are there a lot of clocks on the ship? And this is the last question I promise...how far in advance do we need to be back at the ship to avoid having the ship leave without us??!

Always keep your watch on ship's time. There are clocks on the ship. All aboard is usually 30 minutes before scheduled departure, and will be prominently displayed as you exit the ship.

Edited by clarea

Keep your watch set to ship's time - that way you won't have a problem. The Cruise Compass - a small newsletter delivered to your stateroom each evening - will give all the information on time for each port of call. It will spell out the time to be back on board. You should definitely plan to be back with around 1/2 hour to spare ...... depends what your plans are for the day. I would never risk being back with just a few minutes to spare - as I posted earlier - the ship will not wait for you! There are several ports where there are bars close by and you often see people running for the ship - and again - they will leave!

First time cruisers are often encouraged to take RC shore excursions - that way they are sure to be back at the ship on time. If the excursion had a problem they could contact the ship, and they will wait for their own excursion. It gives a little peace of mind in a new environment/country.

Congrats on booking your first cruise, that's exciting!!! You picked one of the best ships at sea for your first cruise. Freedom is the only ship that we have sailed on three times and can't wait to go back again.

Enjoy the planning during the next year, for me the anticipation is half the fun.

For shore excursions I bought a water wallet. I carried our drivers license, sea passes and a couple credit cards and some cash. Left wallet and purse in safe on ship. Only carried a zippered beach bag. They sold them online through rcl or others. I didn't have to worry while in the water.

Have watches set to ships time, but remember if you book excursions on your own local time may be different to meet them.

What we do with our stuff on excursions- we may take backpacks with our own snorkel stuff and ships towels & maybe some candy and will leave that on the beach. NEVER leave anything that you can't live without! My hubby has a water box we purchased from a waterpark our seapass card, drivers license and cash and credit card goes in there around his neck and under his shirt we don't have to worry about the important stuff! If we know we will be doing water stuff I won't even take my regular camera with me I have and underwater camera I use 1 less thing to worry about!

Congrats on booking your first cruise, that's exciting!!! You picked one of the best ships at sea for your first cruise. Freedom is the only ship that we have sailed on three times and can't wait to go back again.

Enjoy the planning during the next year, for me the anticipation is half the fun.

I too just booked our first family cruise on Freedom this August. We are beyond excited and the above quote is so wonderful to hear. You're right, the anticipation and planning is so much fun. That's why I love these boards!:D

Regarding price changes - much can depend on whether you booked directly with RC or if you used a travel agent. Keep checking the prices on line, if the price goes down, RC will credit you back the appropriate difference. This is up until the final payment date - even though you have already paid in full the cruise itself still has a "final payment date." After that time you can upgrade but not get a "refund" back. You have to check this yourself - RC will not notify you that the price has gone down. If you booked with a TA you can keep asking your TA to check - you may be locked in to a certain price, or your TA may not refund - they may have different rules. RC will not discuss your reservation with you if you booked with a TA. They will direct you to your TA,.

Want to highlight that part - I'm not as knowledgeable as the other posters, but as far as I know, price drops are not automatically applied. YOU are responsible for checking and calling.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

So then what do you do with your beach bag when you are in the ocean/on excursions such as walking up a waterfall or snorkeling with stingrays?

Any excursion has plans for participants gear. Beaches your misc stuff stays on the beach, sting rays they stay on the boat. Your VALUABLES should stay with you in a waterproof wallet or some type of container.

There is a lot of schlepping (if that's a word) you tote your items a long way. When you board and are on the ship the area is pretty compact. On islands you may be the last ship on the pier and the piers can be long just to get to land. Then you meet your excursion or taxi. Then wherever you are going. Pack light and the fewer bags the better, backpacks, etc. For example if we go to Cozumel we pack one beach bag and a small canvas duffle for snorkel gear. We go to snorkel take a cab to town to shop then back to ship. We don't take anything we can't carry all day

Edited by Badgertr

Thank you so much!! This helps so much! Thinking of buying a backpack for towels and then having a smaller waterproof purse that well take in the water with us.

Any advice for specific products that you use to take in water with you? Thinking something that could go. Around my wrist would be best...

Thank you so much!! This helps so much! Thinking of buying a backpack for towels and then having a smaller waterproof purse that well take in the water with us.

Any advice for specific products that you use to take in water with you? Thinking something that could go. Around my wrist would be best...

You can find water wallets on board the ship in one of the shops.

They have been mentioned, but they are key! Carry ID (more than your Sea Pass)..just in case!

If you purchase a tour/excursion/etc, directly....THEY will know your ship's arrival time and even if the time is different from ship time, they know it! For example, Ship time may be 9am ad the tour starts at 9am..But the tour may actually be in a time zone one hour earlier...so all is good! LOL

Boarding is NOTHING like TSA at an airport, they will scan your carry-on stuff, but that is only a cursory look and the flow for check-in is quick and easy!

Be sure you complete the pre-check online this will save you tons of time (you can do that at your convenience before your sailing.

When you board....enjoy the day, tour the ship, get used to what is where, do not wait until the last day to " discover" something.

Do not hesitate to ask questions! We all love to brag about how much we THINK we know about cruising!!!!:cool:

To be honest, all the times confuse the heck out of me!! I guess I will just figure all that out when I am on the ship!

I don't think I want a water wallet becausr where would I even put that when I have just a swimsuit on? Not into wearing cargo shorts to put a wallet in while swimming lol