Boarding the Golden in Seattle

djjs

Hi, We will be boarding the Golden in Seattle next Saturday! Can anyone comment on the boarding process? What time should we arrive? What time will our room be ready? How long did it take to board? Any other information would be great. Thank you

This came from the roll calls for the Golden boarding on 6.7.14:

Just got a staggered boarding email.

Our records indicate you have a cruise departing on 6/7/2014 on Princess Cruises. We have recently been advised by the cruise line of some important information about your trip.

To ensure a smooth start to your voyage we operate a progressive embarkation schedule. If you have booked a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or airport. Passengers traveling on a shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allotted check-in times after clearing security and dropping off luggage. Boarding will commence shortly at 12:00pm. Once onboard enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

12:00pm - Dolphin Deck

12:30pm - Fiesta and Caribe Decks

1:00pm - Aloha and Sun Decks

1:30pm - Baja and Plaza Decks

2:00pm - Lido and Emerald Decks

Hi, We will be boarding the Golden in Seattle next Saturday! Can anyone comment on the boarding process? What time should we arrive? What time will our room be ready? How long did it take to board? Any other information would be great. Thank you

We arrived at the terminal at 1030 and were the first in line. After about 30 mins or so we checked in, got out cruise cards and were seated in the preferred check in area and began boarding at 1210.

It was a very efficient process.

Mike:)

Last year we arrived a little after 10:00am. They were not taking the luggage yet. Then in a few minutes they started. I wouldn't arrive before 10:30am if you can help it.

I agree. 1030 is about the earliest they start taking luggage.

We sailed on the Golden out of Seattle this past Sept. We also had been advised of the recommended staggered boarding times, but decided to arrive early anyway. We arrived about 11am. We only waited in line about 10 min. & the whole process moved very quickly. We were then seated in a waiting area.

We could see that the line was growing very large & most of the people had to stand a long time because there is not enough seating. We were on the ship by noon. I would recommend arriving early to avoid the long lines.

Edited by #1Nanna

Good info… We'll be there with you next Saturday too - first cruise ever, so no clue what we're doing :-)

We are being dropped off at the terminal by our son. Does it work like an airline drop off zone, drive thru and unload then you take your bags inside?

Jim

This came from the roll calls for the Golden boarding on 6.7.14:

Just got a staggered boarding email.

Our records indicate you have a cruise departing on 6/7/2014 on Princess Cruises. We have recently been advised by the cruise line of some important information about your trip.

To ensure a smooth start to your voyage we operate a progressive embarkation schedule. If you have booked a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or airport. Passengers traveling on a shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allotted check-in times after clearing security and dropping off luggage. Boarding will commence shortly at 12:00pm. Once onboard enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

12:00pm - Dolphin Deck

12:30pm - Fiesta and Caribe Decks

1:00pm - Aloha and Sun Decks

1:30pm - Baja and Plaza Decks

2:00pm - Lido and Emerald Decks

Boarding times by deck are a suggestion, we arrive around 10:30 and barring any issues boarding starts around Noon. ;)

Good info… We'll be there with you next Saturday too - first cruise ever, so no clue what we're doing :-)

We are being dropped off at the terminal by our son. Does it work like an airline drop off zone, drive thru and unload then you take your bags inside?

Jim

Yes.

I agree. 1030 is about the earliest they start taking luggage.

And last time we sailed out of there every porter working on the Princess ship went to lunch at the same time at about 1100. Of course we arrived just at that time, so there was no one who would touch our luggage. DH had to lug it all into the building and deposit it somewhere inside while I waited outside with our carry-on.

Jim

Much like a airline drop off zone. There will be porters at the entrance to take bags you want to check. Inside you and your carry ons will go through scanners. After security you will then check in and get your cruise cards. You may be given a card with a boarding group number. After that you find a seat and wait for you cruise to begin! Your cabin will be ready when you board and you can go there to drop off your carry ons. Check the Patter in your cabin. There should be a dining room open for lunch from 12:00 to 1:30. It will probably be the Donatello DR mid ships on Fiesta deck (6).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Jim

Yes, and you are in for a real treat! What a first cruise.

Nothing like starting off with one of the best.

The boarding times are suggestions. Tomorrow we sail on Grand Princess, we’ve done this before. Normally they start boarding around 12. We like to get to the terminal around 11 or so.

RoxnDox here are few useful tips for you. When your son drops you off take your bags into the center door, it say luggage drop off or something like that, there will be someone from Princess directing everyone where to go, make sure you have your Princess tags on your bag, you can’t believe the number of people who don’t do it right. If you don’t have the tag on the bag the longshoreman will not put the bag into the scanner. They don’t have any staplers there for you to use so you have to have it ready to go when you drop the bags off. It’s also not a bad idea to put another tag on the inside of your bag, just in case. Now this where the fun starts. Take the escalator upstairs, it’ll be a maze of back and forth rows. Have all your travel documents handy, you’re going to have to show them before you put your carryon bags into scanner. At some point you’ll have fill out a health questionnaire before you get to the counter. Once you get to the counter, you’ll show your credit card, hand in your health questionnaire and get your room key. Be patient, the whole process could take up to 2 hours on a bad day.

goodie2shoes, I have to laugh when I hear people talk about the Porter this or that in Seattle. There are no Porters at the terminal in Seattle. They are longshoremen, they might be loading a cruise ship today and unloading heavy machinery tomorrow. The longshoremen union is one of toughest unions there is on the west coast. Don’t call a longshoremen a Porter, you bags could go onto the wrong ship.

You'll take a bridge to get to the cruise terminal. As you come down off the bridge, you'll make some turns with some decisions. First decision is to park or to drop off. Second decision is deliveries or drop-off. Third decision is taxi or shuttle or private vehicle drop-off. Multiple lanes for each IIRC. You'll end up super-close to your ship, staring up going "Wow!" and/or "We'll be on that very shortly!".

We sailed on the Golden out of Seattle this past Sept. We also had been advised of the recommended staggered boarding times, but decided to arrive early anyway. We arrived about 11am. We only waited in line about 10 min. & the whole process moved very quickly. We were then seated in a waiting area.

We could see that the line was growing very large & most of the people had to stand a long time because there is not enough seating. We were on the ship by noon. I would recommend arriving early to avoid the long lines.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I was wondering what the weather was like in Alaska in Sept as that is when we are going.

I hope we only have about a 50 min check in time as well. I also hope our room is done quickly wince I will be carting around our 2 bottles of wine in our carryon.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I was wondering what the weather was like in Alaska in Sept as that is when we are going.

I hope we only have about a 50 min check in time as well. I also hope our room is done quickly wince I will be carting around our 2 bottles of wine in our carryon.

We have cruised to Alaska twice, both times in the 2nd week of Sept. We have had beautiful weather both times. We were prepared for cool rainy weather, (which is what you should do) and were pleasantly surprised with nice weather. Mid to upper 60's. The only time we even needed a coat was in Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay.

My advice is be prepared for the worst and hope for the best & you will enjoy your cruise whatever the weatherman delivers. : )

Thanks for the detailed info, everyone! We know the way to the terminal, they had a scuba expo there a while back. Had no clue about the procedures, though, so this thread has been VERY helpful :-)

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First time to cruise also. We are flying into Seattle the day before our cruise leaves port. Any suggestion of how to get from the Hotel 5 downtown to the Pier? Taxi? Shuttle? If so which do you recommend? Thank for all of your help!!

First time to cruise also. We are flying into Seattle the day before our cruise leaves port. Any suggestion of how to get from the Hotel 5 downtown to the Pier? Taxi? Shuttle? If so which do you recommend? Thank for all of your help!!

Hi and welcome to CC.

When in Seattle we use Class A Limo for a town car,

(Solomon) 206-245-3540, reasonable and reliable. :)