Latest Member Review of Odyssey???

Delboy1

Having sailed five times with Seaborn I found the last review to be unbelievable. The comments about the crew and food did not ring true. Yes you can get the odd meal not to your liking but not the whole cruise. I notice this person has not posted any previous review.

Please do yourself a favor and disregard that review.

I was on that cruise (plus the one prior), and experienced none of what was described. The service was almost flawless, and the food was very good, despite the limitations of restocking options and opportunities due to the itinerary and minor maintenance issues awaiting repair during dry dock.

Having said that, I have my own minor complaints about the cruise (itinerary, ports of call, newly-promoted, inexperienced & anti-social captain, cruise director, in-your-face religious elements due to the timing), but nothing that distracted greatly from the overall good experience.

Edited by sfvoyage

I read the review. It seems to be lacking in detail with the exception of the muster drill. I suspect the writer had a bad experience because he tried to get a jump start on the drill and that soured his experience for everything else.

Sometimes passengers go a bit early to the muster drill because a. the CD is announcing it's eminence for about 30-40 minutes [too long] and b. they want to use the elevator. Really, what is the profit in scolding someone for arriving early? Yes, I understand, they want all of their crew in place....but would there be such perfection in the face of an actual emergency?

I haven't sailed Odyssey but there do appear to be some quite varied mixed reviews of late. Even sfvoyage had issues although thankfully they did not ruin his experience. It's funny...and sad...how something can get you off track and significantly influence your perceptions [if that is what occurred].

So, he liked the Spa / Fitness facilities, didn't seem to mind the Public Rooms - and hated EVERYTHING else! The tone of the review suggests that he has had some problems on previous SB cruises, and I'm sure there were some niggles, but the review does seem to be over the top in its negativity. Perhaps he is better not sailing Seabourn again. And it's just possible that Seabourn is better with this not sailing again.

Having sailed five times with Seaborn I found the last review to be unbelievable. The comments about the crew and food did not ring true. Yes you can get the odd meal not to your liking but not the whole cruise. I notice this person has not posted any previous review.

We were on this cruise (embarked in Singapore) and remember this gentleman and his partner. It is true that the safety officer was ranting and raving in the MDR as a handful of us had decided to arrive a few minutes early for muster - and the poster took offence, probably quite correctly, which resulted in a stand-up argument which undoubtedly flavoured his cruise experience (the other 'flavour' of preference for this gentleman as I recall was a very large vodka with his morning coffee!)

It is equally true that the disembarkation in Rome was poor and disorganised with some more elderly passengers finding the long walk to coaches/cars/taxis a bit of a strain. Not good.

I am however delighted to say that the remainder of our 35 night experience was fantastic - in every respect. One of our very best cruises. The ship was in great condition and food, service etc all top notch (entertainment is always subjective!), so fear ye not, Odyssey passengers!:)

Edited by Palmeat

Please do yourself a favor and disregard that review.

I was on that cruise (plus the one prior), and experienced none of what was described. The service was almost flawless, and the food was very good, despite the limitations of restocking options and opportunities due to the itinerary and minor maintenance issues awaiting repair during dry dock.

Having said that, I have my own minor complaints about the cruise (itinerary, ports of call, newly-promoted, inexperienced & anti-social captain, cruise director, in-your-face religious elements due to the timing), but nothing that distracted greatly from the overall good experience.

Hi, just wondering who this captain was??? And is he still onboard??

And cruise director, were there problems with him/her??

Thanks

Hi, just wondering who this captain was??? And is he still onboard??

And cruise director, were there problems with him/her??

Thanks

It was Captain Kreso Volaric. To be fair, he wasn't bad at all, just a different type of captain who does not seem to enjoy interacting with guests. A lot of guests complained that they had no idea who he was or what he looked like on the 35-day (back-to-back) cruise!

Apparently he was newly promoted and took his job seriously. Aside from daily noon briefings on the PA, when he would deliver various colorless, monotonous, and uninteresting facts and figures, he was rarely seen by guests. He cancelled his appearance at the Captain's Welcome at the first leg (and maybe the second leg as well), because he needed to stay on the bridge (or something like that), and he cancelled one of his two hosted tables. He didn't allow bridge tours except for once, when the boat was docked, and the tour was conducted not by him or his deputy, but the first officer.

After 35 days on board, I still had no idea who he was. Not a big deal for me, but quite a few guests talked about and seemed annoyed by his lack of presence.

The CD was John Howell. To be fair, he improved progressively during the second leg. During the first leg from Singapore to Mumbai, he was disliked by many, especially among the trivia crowd. He ran trivia poorly, was autocratic and dismissive, and resorted to sarcasm and put-downs to try to make people "laugh". I, for one, enjoy a healthy dose of sarcasm, but only when it is done with class, warmth and wit. He overused and misused it, and came across as a petulant Mother Superior.

He was also a poor emcee, lacked improvisational skills on stage, and kept saying "God Bless" in general, non-religious settings, e.g. announcements of next day's activities.

He was not a total disaster, but he did make me miss other CDs on Seabourn: the classy and elegant Barry Hopkins (RIP), the pleasant and cheerful John Barron (no longer with SB, apparently now hosting QVC for the UK market), the talented and hardworking David E. Green...

Edited by sfvoyage

Fear not, my review will appear promptly (I hope) and will give a different perspective on cruising on the Odyssey. Our trip was Monaco-Athens and the Odyssey had had a makeover just before we boarded. True, Captain Kerso was not as visible and personable as others, but the cruise director, by name of Jay, made up on charm. The food was particularly good, in comparison with SS and the other SB cruise we took in 2012. The crew was very affable and service oriented. Many came from Eastern European countries, but we also enjoyed meeting South Africans, Brazilians, etc. I find that an international crew, including those from the Philippines, provides a broader, more interesting experience. Please refer to the "Member Reviews" on this site at some point for a different point of view to the poster.

...the cruise director, by name of Jay, made up on charm...

Jay Joseph was the assistant CD on the Singapore to Mumbai segment; he then went on vacation and was scheduled to return as CD right after dry dock. And yes, Jay is charming and personable.

Edited by sfvoyage

if a captain does not like to interact on a cruise ship with the passengers he must stay away and remain on a cargo ...

cruise companies should take in consideration for a promotion his social abilities as well

that is not only on SB :confused:

a few years ago on a seabourn there was even a captain - no names - cursing nearly every other cruise ship we did meet and how great SB was

that was also not fun .

very "homesick" to the style of captain like cpt Leif Rodahl ...on the Pride

on the Quest there is still the very social captain GA :)

if a captain does not like to interact on a cruise ship with the passengers he must stay away and remain on a cargo ...

cruise companies should take in consideration for a promotion his social abilities as well

that is not only on SB :confused:

a few years ago on a seabourn there was even a captain - no names - cursing nearly every other cruise ship we did meet and how great SB was

that was also not fun .

very "homesick" to the style of captain like cpt Leif Rodahl ...on the Pride

on the Quest there is still the very social captain GA :)

Captain Magnus Bengtsson took over from Captain GA in Amsterdam and is equally social and likable (although he doesn't have bets with pilots to my knowledge). Captain Bjarne Larsen is also pretty social and has been known to dance at Rock the Boat.

What did they do during makeover of Odessey? Just on Quest and thought ship was beautiful.

Was the ship in tip top shape?

Thanks.

Actually, I thought that our veranda furniture was in terrible shape. Not luxury cruise line quality at all. Also, some of the glue-on wood veneer was 'bubbling'. Not a deal breaker of course but I did point out both issues in our feedback.

Just sailed Athens to Istanbul under Captain Kreso Volaric - who unlike former posters we did see everyday and we were only on for seven. He is pleasant, and is visible chats smiles and waves but takes the safety and the security of the ship seriously- tends to just to tannoys about weather though rather than extended chats.

Hotel Manager currently is Guenter Steinbrunner - Seabourn Old School - a member of the staff described him as a four and a half striper. Cruise Director Jay Joseph and ACD was Annabel Wright with whom we had a lively and bordering on wild time. Food and Staff A1- will post a full review later... but as the occupant as suite 740 rightly notes -The Boat did rock on this cruise!!

:cool:

Just sailed Athens to Istanbul under Captain Kreso Volaric - who unlike former posters we did see everyday and we were only on for seven. He is pleasant, and is visible chats smiles and waves but takes the safety and the security of the ship seriously- tends to just to tannoys about weather though rather than extended chats.

Hotel Manager currently is Guenter Steinbrunner - Seabourn Old School - a member of the staff described him as a four and a half striper. Cruise Director Jay Joseph and ACD was Annabel Wright with whom we had a lively and bordering on wild time. Food and Staff A1- will post a full review later... but as the occupant as suite 740 rightly notes -The Boat did rock on this cruise!!

Pleased to hear Jay Joseph is now CD on the Odyssey!

Wonder when there will be a changeover of staff??

We sailed with Annabel on the Quest last year and had dinner with her and her husband a number of times. She was hilarious and he was great company as well. She is also a terrific dancer. I am hoping she will still be on the Odyssey when we set sail next month.

With regards to food - aside from taste being subjective, unless you're eating off others plates you have no idea what they were served. Two people at the same table given what's supposed to be the same dish can have wildly different experiences. DAMHIK