Shore excursions

DrJW

What is the deadline for cancelling shore excursions with O that are made on line, without any penalty? Is it just 24 hrs prior to the booked excursion... or a week prior or longer?

Also, at what point does Oceania debit your credit card for the scheduled excursion? The moment it is booked, on the day of the excursion or subsequent to the completion of the excursion ?

While O's excursions are definitely more costly than even private tours, one of the benefits of booking with O ahead of time I believe that is that no funds or deposits are required prior to excursion. I have been told by previous passengers sailing on various cruise lines, that once a private excursion booking is made with deposits or full paments made either through Paypal or CC, that it is quite difficult to receive credit back even when one follows the guidelines offered by the private excursion companies. Trip cancellation insurance doesn't cover cancelled pre paid private excursions unless the entire cruise is cancelled.

Besides the more costly rate of their group excursions..which I'm assuming are buses of 30-40 passengers....( unless one books their even more costly 'private exclusive tours') is that with private companies one can schedule later departures rather than 8:30 am :( which is the time when most of Oceanias tours departs from the pier..eve the half day tours...

Would appreciate receiving any thoughts, information, etc, re: the issues discusssed above.

Thank you very much!

in the Ticket contract

The following applies to the cancellation of the Optional Facilities and Services listed below:

Pre-/Post-Cruise Hotel Packages Within 45 days of cruise departure 100% fee

Pre-/Post-Cruise Land Packages Within 60 days of cruise departure 100% fee

Overland Tours Within 45 days of cruise departure 100% fee

A La Carte Shore Excursions Within 36 hours of tour departure 100% fee

Unlimited Passport & Your World Packages On or after embarkation day 100% fee

Executive Collections Within 36 hours of tour departure 100% fee

Regular and Private Transfers Within 4 days of transfer date 100% fee

Visa Packages Within 60 days of cruise departure 100% fee

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/default.aspx

Also, at what point does Oceania debit your credit card for the scheduled excursion? The moment it is booked, on the day of the excursion or subsequent to the completion of the excursion ?

If you pre book excursions before boarding the ship the payment is taken at the time of booking

While O's excursions are definitely more costly than even private tours, one of the benefits of booking with O ahead of time I believe that is that no funds or deposits are required prior to excursion. incorrect see post above

I have been told by previous passengers sailing on various cruise lines, that once a private excursion booking is made with deposits or full paments made either through Paypal or CC, that it is quite difficult to receive credit back even when one follows the guidelines offered by the private excursion companies. Trip cancellation insurance doesn't cover cancelled pre paid private excursions unless the entire cruise is cancelled.

There are many private guides that do not require a deposit or payment in full until the day of the tour ...shop around

Besides the more costly rate of their group excursions..which I'm assuming are buses of 30-40 passengers....( unless one books their even more costly 'private exclusive tours') is that with private companies one can schedule later departures rather than 8:30 am :( which is the time when most of Oceanias tours departs from the pier..eve the half day tours...

Would appreciate receiving any thoughts, information, etc, re: the issues discusssed above.

Thank you very much!

We usually do private tours ..usually with others from our roll call ..I try to limit the group to 12 or less

Then you can decide what time you want to leave & return, we are not into all day sessions anymore

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I've booked private tours in Istanbul and Ephesus and Athens and none require prepayment. And, my private tours in Israel only requested payment two weeks prior to the tour date if I want to pay with a credit card. I have the option of paying cash on hoe day of the tour.

In oh her words, not all private guides require prepayment.

As someone who ONLY does private tours (and organizes most of them for the cruises I take), I can tell you that it is the exception to pay a deposit for a private tour. There are certain areas of the world where a deposit is generally required (Southeast Asia) but most places work on trust. In cases where a deposit is required, if you book with a reputable company and have favorable cancellation terms, there is no problem. These companies thrive (survive ) on recommendations. One lousy review on Trip Advisor or Cruise Critic (especially about the failure to refund money) can put them out of business.

One reason I have learned that more companies are starting to take deposits in that some cruisers do not show up (then the tour operator has no business that day when the ship is in). Pretty awful behavior IMO.

Edited by pacheco18

My experience with private tours has been mixed. I just booked a tour in Granada (Alhambra) and had to pay the entire amount by credit card or make a deposit and agree to pay the rest in cash later. In many other places in Europe or the Caribbean, more often than not, we have not had to pay until after the tour. I think this encourages tipping more if you find the tour to be excellent, which has normally been the case for us. Perhaps a vendor's decision to require a deposit or pre-pay up front depends upon how easy it is to find other participants in the event of no shows, whether expensive tickets have already been purchased for a particular day/time, and things like that. I've noticed that many of the rental car companies in Europe are now requiring pre-payment (with no option to do anything else) and you can only cancel within 2 days of booking! Ouch!

Everyone complains about the price of Oceania's excursions, but ocasionally they are life savers - at any price! For example, because of timing, we would not have been able to tour the island of Delos if it hadn't been for the ship's excursion.

We're perhaps a little non-typical Oceania cruisers in that we do a little of everything - maybe 1 or 2 ship's excursions per two week cruise, a few small group or large group excursions I've found on the internet or through Roll Calls, and at least a few DIY excursions. For me, half the fun is the planning!

Edited by roothy123

My experience with private tours has been mixed. I just booked a tour in Granada (Alhambra) and had to pay the entire amount by credit card or make a deposit and agree to pay the rest in cash later. In many other places in Europe or the Caribbean, more often than not, we have not had to pay until after the tour. I think this encourages tipping more if you find the tour to be excellent, which has normally been the case for us. Perhaps it depends upon how easy it is to find other participants in the event of no shows, whether expensive tickets have already been purchased for a particular day/time, etc.

Everyone complains about the price of Oceania's excursions, but ocasionally they are life savers - at any price! For example, we would not have been able to tour the island of Delos if it hadn't been for the ship's excursion.

We're perhaps a little non-typical Oceania cruisers in that we do a little of everything - maybe 1 or 2 ship's excursions, a few small group or large group excursions I've found on the internet or through Roll Calls, and a few DIY excursions. For me, half the fun is the planning!

Roothy - curious -- did you use Spain Day Tours (aka Top Day Tours? -- they do require payment in advance but I negotiated with them in Seville and we did not pay until the day of the tour. If that's who you are booked with, they are a great company and you will not have any problem.

Where are deposits are required I have been successful in negotiating a later date than requested for the deposit -- much closer to the cruise itself -- since participants drop off and others are added.

Frankly, I do not blame these companies for wanting a deposit. If we don't show, they can't "make it up." The ship is in the port for one day.

Roothy - curious -- did you use Spain Day Tours (aka Top Day Tours? -- they do require payment in advance but I negotiated with them in Seville and we did not pay until the day of the tour. If that's who you are booked with, they are a great company and you will not have any problem.

Where are deposits are required I have been successful in negotiating a later date than requested for the deposit -- much closer to the cruise itself -- since participants drop off and others are added.

Frankly, I do not blame these companies for wanting a deposit. If we don't show, they can't "make it up." The ship is in the port for one day.

Yes, it's Spain Day Tours. I know they have a great reputation, so I'm not worried about a refund, should we want or need it, although I doubt we will! Nope, I don't blame the companies for wanting a deposit either!

Here's a good one

Boarding regatta in two days. I just booked high tea at the legendary empress hotel in Victoria. 57.50 pp. we missed doing this last time we were there

O offers this as an excursion including bus to hotel (which is only a. 20 minute walk from port) for 175 pp. 90 minutes for tea and bus back or hang around town (of course ) and get back on ur own.

Why on earth would any informed traveller book this excursion ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here's a good one

Boarding regatta in two days. I just booked high tea at the legendary empress hotel in Victoria. 57.50 pp. we missed doing this last time we were there

O offers this as an excursion including bus to hotel (which is only a. 20 minute walk from port) for 175 pp. 90 minutes for tea and bus back or hang around town (of course ) and get back on ur own.

It seems to be a "no-brainer".

The real question is - is it any better than the tea on Oceania? :D

It's about the surroundings and the experience. We don't even drink tea. Lol. Ok at high tea we do

I avoid tea on the ship

Too much food

I really never look at the prices of o excursions but I happened to have my cruise booklet out and saw the excursion price. Outrageous

I understand that issue for some excursions but not this one

we are in port until 11 pm, tea is over at 2 and we are 20 minutes from the pier. And they suggest folks stay in town and get back on their own anyway

Folks have 9 hours to get back !!

I understand that issue for some excursions but not this one

we are in port until 11 pm, tea is over at 2 and we are 20 minutes from the pier. And they suggest folks stay in town and get back on their own anyway

Folks have 9 hours to get back !!

Again to each his own

As long as you are not paying why worry about it

Live & let live :D

Certainly not worrying about it nor do I care if other people waste money. If O can make a big profit kudos. They are not getting it from me

Just an observation. Might encourage some to compare costs carefully going forward on tours where DIY has no risk whatsoever associated with it.

Edited by pacheco18

Here's a good one

Makes you wonder. I see it as a total waste of money.

I agree some like the security but those cases are few.

I guess I can't stand the waste, when there are so many better/good choices out there for far less the cost:o

Makes you wonder. I see it as a total waste of money.

I agree some like the security but those cases are few.

I guess I can't stand the waste, when there are so many better/good choices out there for far less the cost:o

Maybe not as few as you think ;)

I am always amazed at the number of people getting on the Oceania buses for simple tours that you can DIY

Lyn

I agree a no brainer but some people like the security of the ship's tours & are willing to pay for it

To each his own

Lyn

While I agree that MOST O excursions are over priced sometimes they aren't. We are booked on a Caribbean cruise in January. I've researched some tours and snorkeling trips etc. through island companies and then compared them to O's prices. They are comparable. and yes I did look at what we were getting for the $$.

Hard to believe IMO

O excursions cost a serious multiple of private excursions , not to mention the mob you go with

If they cost the same there would be no profit in it for o and excursions are a huge profit center

I just organized 13 excursions for a January cruise. Every one could be booked thru o for triple the price and 8 times the participants

Edited by pacheco18

While I agree that MOST O excursions are over priced sometimes they aren't. We are booked on a Caribbean cruise in January. I've researched some tours and snorkeling trips etc. through island companies and then compared them to O's prices. They are comparable. and yes I did look at what we were getting for the $$.

I have been planning tours for the last 10 years and in some instances for example, on a 34 day b2b I did 20 of them. There wasn't ONE that came even close to O's prices for these same excursions. And I only had 12-14 people with me and as everyone who plans a private knows, we go where we want to go, not where the ship's tour company wants to go. There was only one occasion that we had to do the ship's tour - in Komodo only the rangers there could take people to see the dragons. That's the only I would take the ship's tour, or in the alternative stay on board!! In some instances, perhaps the Caribbean, they are comparable costs, but that's probably the only place. Arlene

The price might be similar but the experience is very, very different.

You must factor in the time wasted and the number of persons on the excursion. O typically are large groups, persons have to assemble much in advance of the tour departure time. There is also the wasted time waiting for 50 or so persons to get aboard buses, the parking, etc. Small, private tour groups and vehicles do not encounter this, more tailored to you.

The price might be similar but the experience is very, very different.

You must factor in the time wasted and the number of persons on the excursion. O typically are large groups, persons have to assemble much in advance of the tour departure time. There is also the wasted time waiting for 50 or so persons to get aboard buses, the parking, etc. Small, private tour groups and vehicles do not encounter this, more tailored to you.

Simple math

It takes 20 women an hour to line up and use a single restroom if that's what's available

Once was enough

Your answer is contained in your question: "informed".

Many take the easy route rather than doing any research on their own.

I am going to say it again - you all have the right to do nothing but private excursions, we get that you are happier, smarter and better. Can people please not attack and belittle people who decide to take the O tours? Can we not all "just get along?"

As has been said before, sometimes the ship's tours are chosen as a matter of convenience and - to a certain measure - security. We have enjoyed the vast majority of ship's tours we have taken. We have also enjoyed the few private tours we undertook.

We have taken many, many O excursions - NEVER were there 50 people on a bus. The groups never exceeded 35, and rarely were that large. There was always room to spread out on a bus.

Please, I respect that you all see those of us who take the ship's tours as fools and idiots. But can you show enough restraint not to say that while you are gloating in your superiority????

Thank you.

Do not underestimate the effect of "ship day" on the experience especially in a town that is not very large and on ships that are very large. The ships come and go very often -- even O will hit some ports several times a year and some ports and companies in the tourist industry count on almost daily landings from the ships. As one private guide told me the constant question is whether she should sign for ship and be guaranteed some fees or try the private gamble for a bigger fee. It has been my experience over the years (many) and over many tours both ship and private that in ports where ships come often and in big waves the best guides and equipment and even the sights themselves go FIRST to the ships and then to the private guides. And yes I have had both good and bad experiences.

Only very few cruisers are as addicted as many are here on CC (yep that be me:D) and even fewer than that have the skill, the time, the energy and the knowledge to arrange tours for themselves. Even then fewer know of someone to gather with to have a large enough group to make the private tour sustainable for the guide. Most guides also don't want to bother with the paperwork/booking/no shows/ and cheap pennypinching people /insurance/ and loss of wages if ship is a no show. Most people are willing to pay for NOT having those worries and MOST people have no other experience to compare it too.

Go on feeling that you are the better traveler and the wiser consumer! This is not a flame -- it is part of the equation. Those of us who love to plan our travel and talk about it here on CC and other sites get much joy from thinking we got a better deal than the ship's and that makes it (the experience) even better and more worthy.

Me and mine. I do all the planning and preparation for the pre and post cruise excursions (usually about a week each if we have not been to city or area) and for the cruise itself use shore excursions. It works for me and that is what each person gets to decide.