Using FF miles one way to Italy...Return??

S&B

We are flying United. I have one more question. If we fly Rome-Toronto-Newark, where do we do our customs and passport control? In Toronto or Newark? That will tell me how much time we have to allow for transfers and customs, etc.

Thanks again.

I just don't understand. You said you were flying AC Rouge and couldn't get a seat assignment, but now you're flying UA??

Again your post is quite vague about when and where your origination point is. It sounds like you live near EWR so have you checked all these European connections to cities near EWR? The worst part of the UAL website is finding availability on the trans-Atlantic portion. Once you find availability on that portion then find availability on the connections on either end. Just for grins and giggles here is a list of TA options from JFK/EWR

EWR FRA

EWR MUC

EWR BCN

EWR TXL

EWR CDG

EWR CPH

EWR LHR

EWR MAD

EWR MXP

EWR GVA

JFK CPH

JFK FRA

JFK IST

JFK VIE

EWR AMS

Also realize if you can find a ticket on the day after your preferred date you could still take a free stopover on the day before and visit your connecting point for a day. For a suggestion, connect in MUC the day of your cruise return and spend the evening at the Hofbrauhaus drinking good beer then board a flight the next day to EWR, which is way better than 2 days in an airport FCO hotel.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Based on some of your past posts it looks like you will be returning to FCO via the Noordam on 9/16 and would like to terminate in EWR. I see an economy saver award available 9/17 on UA969 that goes FRA-EWR. There is also availability on 9/16 from Rome to FRA on LH235. You can book this as a single saver award since your connection is less than 24 hours. There are tons more options if you play with availability.

Thanks Travelgirl,

We originate from Tampa but we were wiling to return any place in the U.S. that we could get a FF return ticket to. Then get a one way ticket back to Tampa. And yes, it is on the Noordam but the date of return to the U.S.was Sept. 27 or 28.

Here is the worst thing!! Don't flame me because I have already done that enough! I had a FF ticket and let it get away from me. There was a ticket to get home to several cities in the U.S. and I said, Oh, I will do it tomorrow!! When "tomorrow" came they were all wiped out. They were actually available for two or three days. Now I am looking again at least two times a day. I already know what you are saying!! I don't know how stupid I was because even if something happened I could put my miles back into my account.

See ya!

Well if you are open to any North American gateway, make sure you are checking all of these options.

ATL FRA

BOS FRA

BOS MUC

CLT MUC

DEN FRA

DFW FRA

DTW FRA

EWR FRA

EWR MUC

EWR BCN

EWR TXL

EWR CDG

EWR CPH

EWR LHR

EWR MAD

EWR MXP

EWR GVA

EWR AMS

IAD IST

IAD FRA

IAD MUC

IAD BRU

IAD CDG

IAD CPH

IAD FCO

IAD GVA

IAD LHR

IAD ZRH

IAD AMS

IAH IST

IAH FRA

IAH AMS

IAH LHR

IAH MUC

JFK CPH

JFK FRA

JFK IST

JFK VIE

LAX IST

LAX FRA

LAX ZRH

LAX MUC

LAX LHR

MCO FRA

MIA FRA

ORD IST

ORD FRA

ORD ZRH

ORD ARN

ORD BRU

ORD CDG

ORD CPH

ORD DUS

ORD LHR

ORD MUC

ORD VIE

PHL FRA

SFO FRA

SFO MUC

SFO LHR

SFO CDG

YOW FRA

YUL FRA

YUL MUC

YYZ BCN

YYZ CPH

YYZ FC0

YYZ FRA

YYZ VIE

If you need more help go to Flyertalk dot come and post your ? there with all the specifics.. in the proper United thread

The experts have other sources and tools to find award flights.

It is my source for all my flight questions.

good luck

If you need more help go to Flyertalk dot come and post your ? there with all the specifics.. in the proper United thread

The experts have other sources and tools to find award flights.

It is my source for all my flight questions.

good luck

15 year member of FlyerTalk and also United 1K Million Miler. The advice found is the same as I quoted above. Find the trans-Atlantic segment then cobble on the domestic segments on either end. The list provided above is all Star Alliance trans-atlantic segments excluding those from the Upper northwest and Mexico as it would be ridiculous to fly all the SEA or YVR since the OP is in TPA.

If you are willing to shell out some bucks I would highly recommend buying a KVS membership as it makes looking for awards seats so much quicker than trying to use UA website which is slow and quirky.

How about Lufthansa out of Miami? Star Alliance. Use it all the time. You should see the new 787s.

Or LH out of MCO (Orlando) -- daily service thru Frankfurt.

If you look at my list above both of those city pairs are listed. If the OP is looking only for Economy awards it is fine to US Star Alliance carriers, but if you want to travel in premium cabins then UAL charges a premium above and beyond for using a partner airline. For example, I just flew ORD-FRA on LH in F and it was 110K one way, had I flew the same route on United plane it would have only been 80K one way.

If you look at my list above both of those city pairs are listed. If the OP is looking only for Economy awards it is fine to US Star Alliance carriers, but if you want to travel in premium cabins then UAL charges a premium above and beyond for using a partner airline. For example, I just flew ORD-FRA on LH in F and it was 110K one way, had I flew the same route on United plane it would have only been 80K one way.

No disagreement.. But if the OP is willing to fly "Rouge" more likely Economy is what they would settle for. September is a bad month for any Saver's in Business from any place in Europe. (especially three months out)